Orpheus' Titanicus project.

Hello everybody!

Thanks to the sugestion of Captain Semper i'm going to share my progress with the Grand Master box.

I am a long time fan of warhammer 40k, since 2nd edition, but my favorite game of all time was Epic Armageddon. In that game titans always felt a bit underpowered. All that space marine stripping void shields and the small they where....They had to fire all their weapons to the same target making a Warlord overkill all but the most resilient targets...and more things hehe, but at last Adeptus Titanicus is here to make justice to this engines!!!

So i picked up a Grand Master box and went for it.

This is my first big kit, the biggest thing i've built is a dreadnought :sweat: :whistling: so it's a bit of a challenge for me.

Started with the little Knights that are incredibly detailed, as every kit in this game. Second was a Reaver, my personally favorite titan, and last i am with the Warlord, amazing quality from Games Workshop, i've not seen mould lines at all and the detail and pose capabilities are great.

Still deciding what house make my chaos knights (House Malinax?) and if the second Warlord is going to be Legio Mortis also or some loyalist.

When the paints arrive i will start painting.

Some pictures:

Ira Dei (God's Wrath) the Legio Mortis Warlord (will be named like this until, finger crossed, the Imperator arrives. The princeps will exchange engines :yes: ):

sml_gallery_98722_14918_4495.jpg

Ira Dei it's fully magnetized 5x1mm. My first experience with magnets and i'm glad that it is prepared for it. A shame the Reaver is not :sad.:

sml_gallery_98722_14918_138719.jpg

And here are all the engines semi naked:

med_gallery_98722_14918_3760.jpg

I almost screwed up the posing of the Warlords legs, the armor on the right leg didn't fit because the leg was too inclined. Thanks to the Army Painter plastic glue (it takes a little to dry up) was able to move a bit the leg and now it fits barely :sweat: fiuuuu. Take care with those pesky legs! For me it was the most dificult and stressing part (even with blue tack).

And now some questions for you if you would be so kind as to answer:

-Would you prime the Knights with the weapons attached?

-Would you glue the titans to the bases before painting?

-I'm going to make a little diorama for the titans, some epic marines and a destroyed rhino somewhere, but need some small building (my copy of Epic 40k is gone). Do you know how could i make a little building? Maybe a wall?

Thank you guys!

Edit: thanks to noigrim for the Ira :smile.:

Great stuff! Can't wait to see your progress.

Here's my humble 2 credits:

• Would you prime the Knights with the weapons attached? - I 'half' did. I blu-tac'd them in place to spray them Leadbelcher but now I can have the separate to make detail painting easier. The bare plastic will make a good bond when I come to put them back together.
  • Would you glue the titans to the bases before painting? - I would, the legs pretty simple to paint even when based.
  • I'm going to make a little diorama for the titans, some epic marines and a destroyed rhino somewhere, but need some small building (my copy of Epic 40k is gone). Do you know how could i make a little building? Maybe a wall? - Small scale train model stuff maybe?

Great stuff! Can't wait to see your progress.

Here's my humble 2 credits:

• Would you prime the Knights with the weapons attached? - I 'half' did. I blu-tac'd them in place to spray them Leadbelcher but now I can have the separate to make detail painting easier. The bare plastic will make a good bond when I come to put them back together.
  • Would you glue the titans to the bases before painting? - I would, the legs pretty simple to paint even when based.
  • I'm going to make a little diorama for the titans, some epic marines and a destroyed rhino somewhere, but need some small building (my copy of Epic 40k is gone). Do you know how could i make a little building? Maybe a wall? - Small scale train model stuff maybe?

Thank you very much  Burni, good suggestions!

Cheers.

Looks good man - I fully get the challenge with the posing of the legs, but you pulled it off admirably.

No experience with Knights but regarding glueing the legs of the Titan to the base, well, if that’s the base he’ll end up with you may as well. As regards the basing itself, my advise is keep it simple. There is the risk to add too much “noise” near the legs and distract the eye...

Can’t wait to see some colour on that Ira Dei! Good luck man! :) :tu:

I had problems with the warlord legs too, I made the mistake trying to glue them to the waist part both legs at the same time.

left it standing for glue to try and went to make some dinner.

when I came back to see if the glue is dry the whole thing had "dipped" a little and glue was dry... I have to try the armour panels tomorrow and I dont like it because I was going to paint them while they are still on the sprue.

if it looks like they dont fit, I have to start acting like a big mek. (and that was going to be next months thing)

Looks good man - I fully get the challenge with the posing of the legs, but you pulled it off admirably.

No experience with Knights but regarding glueing the legs of the Titan to the base, well, if that’s the base he’ll end up with you may as well. As regards the basing itself, my advise is keep it simple. There is the risk to add too much “noise” near the legs and distract the eye...

Can’t wait to see some colour on that Ira Dei! Good luck man! :smile.::thumbsup:

Thank you Captain! Good advise, not too much on the base...will take it. My plan is to have two marines behind a wall of some sort in one warlord and a semi undertaken rhino on the other. Ultramarines with darkish blue because i don't like them hehehe.

Great to see more logs popping up. Will look forward to watching your progress.

Thanks!

I had problems with the warlord legs too, I made the mistake trying to glue them to the waist part both legs at the same time.

left it standing for glue to try and went to make some dinner.

when I came back to see if the glue is dry the whole thing had "dipped" a little and glue was dry... I have to try the armour panels tomorrow and I dont like it because I was going to paint them while they are still on the sprue.

if it looks like they dont fit, I have to start acting like a big mek. (and that was going to be next months thing)

:cry:  It is tricky. Hope for the best and if it doesn't fit some broken armor panel may do it. Good luck!

Hello, i've been doing some progress and assembled the second warlord and the second reaver. Did a bit of a screw up with the reavers as magnetized one apoc missile the other way around and now i think will have to let one reaver without a magnet. And the other it's a little bit too high because of the super glue excess, my bad, don't like super glue.

The civitas imperialis is assembled too.

Some photos:

gallery_98722_14918_29831.jpg

The Apoc is a little high, i don't know if i can polish or take some of the magnet away to lower it:

gallery_98722_14918_70436.jpg

Cheers!

Nice stuff, cool to see.

I almost screwed up the posing of the Warlords legs, the armor on the right leg didn't fit because the leg was too inclined. 

Legs seem to be a common pain, one single advice there: dry fit, dry fit, dry fit. I think I spent the same time on posing the legs and getting the "right" angles than the time I took to assemble all the other parts of both the warlord and reaver (without the armour plates which I leave for after painting).

-Would you prime the Knights with the weapons attached?

I think it is mostly a question of personal preference, I haven't started painting yet but I would go in sub-assemblies with the weapons separate

-Would you glue the titans to the bases before painting?

I would prefer to leave the titans and bases separate, just to avoid the potential moment where the base is in the way for some details.

-I'm going to make a little diorama for the titans, some epic marines and a destroyed rhino somewhere, but need some small building (my copy of Epic 40k is gone). Do you know how could i make a little building? Maybe a wall?

I use foamboard, cardboard, bits from plastic sprues, some civitas imperialis components (e.g. "destroyed" roof tiles), bits cut from CoD components, … anything that could fit the bill to get the envisioned diorama. You might want to keep the titan and base separate for easier access for painting. Watch out if you use components that melt when sprayed.

The Apoc is a little high, i don't know if i can polish or take some of the magnet away to lower it:

I wouldn't try to polish or cut some parts of the magnet, you don't want to remove the protective coating layer which is around the magnetic metal (preventing oxidation). https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/faq/Which-magnet-coatings-are-there

• 1 month later...

I'm finishing the first Mortis Reaver and would like your opinion: i'm following Duncan's video tutorial on painting Legio Mortis and i'm not sure to apply the balthasar gold highlight over the agrax earthshaded retribution armor gold trim of the armour. What do you think?

It's my first miniature like ever....

Not a scheme I've painted (and I'm no master painter) but iirc balthasar gold is a base paint and is darker than retribution, so I don't think that would be right? I've not seen the video though.

Maybe a dry brush of Griffon Gold might be better?

Loving the size of your Legio though!

I didnt like retributor gold, so i went with leadbelcher as base, then bright brass (vallejo paint) but I only have air paints so its 2 layers of brass.

im finishing my 1st warlord atm. not sure I can finish it today but will post some pics later or tomorrow (on my at plog)

Hello!

After a while working on my first miniature painted ever i present you this reaver, it's almost finished awaiting some weathering, but my skills are not up to the task yet and i don't know how to do it on black.

I went for the green and red color optics, but have to buy a magnifying glass to paint the reflections on the little green ones.

med_gallery_98722_14918_1133998.jpgmed_gallery_98722_14918_1171347.jpgmed_gallery_98722_14918_756461.jpgmed_gallery_98722_14918_1036628.jpggallery_98722_14918_768341.jpg

Leadbelcher works stippled on black to show paint chipping with a few slashes of silver.  A brown or tan a shade lighter than your base sponged onto the feet and shins would work for weathering. Start heavier at the ankles go lighter up to the knee.

Check out this:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/431097?browseid=6573872

If you haven't seen it, check out Duncan's video on painting Legio Gryphonicus, then skip to the end for weathering techniques. It's basically an instruction video on how to paint a Warlord, which includes what layers of armour to add when, how to paint the skeleton and most importantly in your case, how to weather a Titan using simple techniques.

Having said that, remember less is more when it comes to weathering. You can always add more later, but to take it away involves reprinting the entire affected area.

Hope that helps.

Dallo

Archived