Heresy character Conversion ideas? Sanakht & Phosis T'Kar

I'm looking to make a version of Sanakht in the Heresy Era. I'm struggling find an adequate description.

I'm aware of the twin swords, one a power blade, one a force sword. They'll be differentiated by painting - I'd planned to use two khopesh blades, buy maybe I'll slightly differentiate them.

The Lucius story suggests a silver helm face plate, and silver crest. However I think in the Ahriman series (which I've not read) he's wearing a death mask - is this right?!

Any ideas?!

My initial thoughts is a kit bash with the Rubric Champion and bits from the Exalted Sorcerer kit.

The helmet and swords are giving me a bit of trouble. Open to suggestions!!

Edited by Lord Commander Eidolon

Since we can make Exalted sorcerers with twin swords, I think that fits the bill and will allow you to play with him on the tabletop as well. Mixing in bits from the aspiring sorcerer kit sounds like a great idea, since it will "tone down" the extravagant details a bit. Perhaps you can find some 30k Emperor's children bits as well? They usually mix in things like faceplates

Well, this is what I've got so far....

http://i68.tinypic.com/15g5zb7.jpg

I'm going to acquire a Tomb King khopesh for the second blade, to differentiate it. Thus fitting the force/power sword description. The pommels might be a problem, but I'll worry about that another day.

I've got a few ideas re the Death mask, but I'm also going to use a normal marine helmet, I'm thinking the mask will be post propero burning!

Skerr, are your suggestions for a death-mask or the non-death mask helmet?  Because if they are for the death mask, a death mask typically isn't a skull, but a casting of a dead person's face (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_mask ).  That said, I'm not familiar with how the term is being used by the Lord Commander or by the source he references.

Now, if the term is being used in the traditional sense, I think it appropriate that it be post burning of Prospero - either as an actual death mask of someone else close to or admired by Sanakht who died at or around the time of the burning, or a casting of Sanakht own face as a more of a figurative death mask in that sense that the person Sanakht was prior to the burning figuratively died at that time.

So, if the Lord Commander is going for a model with a death mask either in the normal or figurative sense, I would recommend using face portions of the heads from the Sanguinary guards (see: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Sanguinary-Guard ), though I suppose any space marine non-helmeted head could be used in a conversion combining it with a helmeted head and an appropriate (aka metallic or other non-flesh colour) paint job.

That said, I concur with Skerr that the conversion is coming along nicely.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

You're welcome.

Thinking on the matter again, the exact wording matters.  A "death's head" mask would be a skull - so I guess double checking your source material for the exact words used or any further physical description might be helpful.

• 7 months later...

Well, it's been a while since I've been Thousand Son-ing! I wasn't happy with the red I'd been using. However, a few tests with tamiya clear red has yielded better results, so I'm going to finish off my small force.

I've revised bits of Sanakht given the stripping of the old red caused bits to break off. I also managed to find a few interesting bits at a swap meet so found a little something for the death mask!

http://i68.tinypic.com/34pdo5x.jpg

Now, should I keep the beard....? it's playing havoc with the torso at the moment!! I could reduce it.

I love that mask. Very interesting question about the beard. It has a very... 'familiar' feel to it. Perhaps too familiar for me. But it is also kind of cool, and reminiscent of mythology.

I would probably get rid of it because 1) It may look and fit awkward on the model, especially the marine collar. 2) I personally prefer a more foreign, or 'strange' look, rather than the familiar.

Regardless it does look really good and I hope you complete it. :tu:

I love that mask. Very interesting question about the beard. It has a very... 'familiar' feel to it. Perhaps too familiar for me. But it is also kind of cool, and reminiscent of mythology.

I would probably get rid of it because 1) It may look and fit awkward on the model, especially the marine collar. 2) I personally prefer a more foreign, or 'strange' look, rather than the familiar.

Regardless it does look really good and I hope you complete it. :thumbsup:

I personally like the beard - it really looks great on just the head, but you are right re the collar. I have trimmed the back of the beard and bent it a little - so will post some updates soon and we can have a critique!! 

I've also got a normal helmet for comparison - I magnetise heads as a rule, so its easy to swop....

Awesome. Keep the beard if you can.

I shall do my best - I have a little greenstuff work to do on him then should be able to post a preview soon,

Sanakht will be interesting to see "in the flesh". Keep up the good work :smile.:

Interestingly I magnetise the heads and like to do a helmet and bare head version -- he is described as looking innocent and having close cropped ash blonde hair, so will see what I can come up with!

:jawdrop:

Amazing! Keep the beard if you can it really makes it pop, what bit did you use?

I shall try! It is an old Tomb King bit that I found lying around in a box o bitz I acquired sometime ago!

I like the idea so far! TS and Tomb Kings bits always make for a nice conversion :smile.:

Concerning the Sanakht descriptions, one of his blades was a Kopesh power sword with a jackal-headed pommel and his other sword was a crystalline kopesh with an owl-headed pommel (according to warhammer40k.fandom.com). I somehow thought his other sword was a normal sword. I only read the Ahriman novels with him in them, not the Lucius novel. It was quite some time ago and somehow I always imagined him with a jackal-faced helmet. But I like your version way better!

In 2015 I tried myself with an Sanakht conversion, it's not as accurate as yours, but I liked it back then. Here it is in the spoiler, if you're interested.

med_gallery_76164_9665_140356.jpg
Edited by Aasfresser

Thanks for dropping by Aasfresor. I actually spent a fair bit of time going over your thread last night having found it in a google search!! I really love the exalted sorcerer 'spare' part kit bashes! Shall have to 'emulate' some of those at some point... Didn't spot Sanakht though so thanks for posting him here! I've got that same torso and am keen to use it someway!! I like the way you've done the robes!

I wanted to try to do the pommels but I couldn't source the bits! Having listened to the audio drama I thought it was a hawk and jackal headed pommels. I could probably find an eagle head somewhere, any ideas where there might be a jackal pommel?

I'll have to read the Ahriman books - I got through a bit of the first then got bored! I've clearly a problem concentrating.....

@Eidolon: Thank you!:wub:

I was searching for Jackal-Heads back than myself but the only thing I found were some of the Space Wolves weapon pommels and bits with a wolf head. One could sculpt more upright straight ears for the pommel and it would be a (snarling) jackal. I was too lazy back than :biggrin.:

This one, for example:

458341764294.jpg

It wouldn't even need "fixing" the ears!

Edited by Aasfresser

@Eidolon: Thank you!:wub:

I was searching for Jackal-Heads back than myself but the only thing I found were some of the Space Wolves weapon pommels and bits with a wolf head. One could sculpt more upright straight ears for the pommel and it would be a (snarling) jackal. I was too lazy back than

It wouldn't even need "fixing" the ears!

Oooh, nice find! I like it, I'll go check to see if it's 'do-able' -- I seem to recall the exalted sorcerer khopesh has a strange grip!! But it's worth adding these little details....

In other news - what's the view on this highly WIP offering....

Phosis T'Kar. Have wanted to do this bad boy for a while now. Not 100% accurate but close enough. Still needs tidying up - but does the crest work?!

http://i67.tinypic.com/149a253.jpg

It does! Great work sir. Love conversions.

Why thank you! Hopefully you'll approve of the latest offering!

Alas I've not been able to find a wolfy handle, but I'll keep an eye out! Shouldn't be too hard to add different pommels at a later date...

Anyway, here's a primed Sanakht - I needed to see how smooth the putty work was; I'll probably smooth it a little more on closer inspection but I think a preview is justified...

http://i66.tinypic.com/ek46yu.jpg

So far I really like him! Please more!

I'm determined to get the correct pommels: he will get a cape to help him look suitably magical

And in other news....

http://i65.tinypic.com/14uxev9.jpg

Am waiting on a few bits and still debating the staff....

He's great... except for the staff, which looks more like a cat toy than a mystical implement.

Haha, as I've never had cats I'd not know what a toy looks like! However you are right, I never liked the staff, it was a temporary measure.

LOVE that helmet. Reminds me of the art from Visions of Heresy. And it fits great with the torso you chose. What is that right arm from? I don’t recognize it.

Not bad given it's a Terminator head! I was thinking it may come off bulky, glad you like it. I kind off always wanted to do him in MK3, but couldn't kind suitable bits!

The arm is salvage from the champion from Shadowspear -- keep an eye out for the rest of him on the ETL....

Oh man, Phosis T'kar looks AWESOME. Was the blurriness of the photo showing his helmet intentional as to hide how his helmet fully looked before you were done with it or something? :lol:

As to Sanakht, I quite like him.

I couldn't get the damn camera to focus, no matter how hard I tried! I also needed to go out and wanted a pic up for critique so I could work on something when I'd got back. Personally I'd like the 'headdress' to better reflect the art, but I couldn't find angry suitable! It's a magnetic head anyway, so I can swap it out if I make a better one.

The staff was just a temporary measure, I'd cut the end off something and knew I'd lose it, so I stuck it on the paper clip. I think the rods too long, I'm currently after something like the art below...

http://i68.tinypic.com/vio7bb.jpg

With better wire I should be able to get a better approximation