Parweke's AT plog - Mortis & Atarus

Parweke

Time to join the AT paintlog crew.

I will be doing two Legios, Mortis and Atarus.

First up is a Legio Mortis Myrmidon Maniple. Three Warlords and two Reavers.

After that I will start Legio Atarus. For Firebrands I will build Axiom Maniple and few extra engines (most likely warhounds).

Also on the list is knight banners for both Legios. House Col'Khak for Atarus and for Mortis ????? (dont know yet, suggestions are welcome)

Now, I wasnt going to show the boring pictures of half build engines but I had few problems with the legs so I decided to show you a picture and warn those of you who have not yet build their Warlords.

http://i.imgur.com/RRnHVkR.jpg

This is the first one of my two Warlords. Yesterday I was trying to be clever and give the legs a "dynamic" pose,

so I decided to glue both legs at the same time. And to make it even more difficult I was gluing the legs to the waist part and to both feet. Not very easy with only two arms. But I managed to do it and the pose looked great.

So I left it on the table to dry and made me some dinner. After that I went to check it and it had sunken, dipped whatever you wanna call it and the pose was totally different. I read from Orpheus plog that he also had problems with legs and armour panels.

So this morning I clipped the panel from the sprue and it didnt fit and looked like ****!

I had to use brute force to rip the feet and legs apart. Luckily I only broke one cable. Somehow the glue had not dried from the knee joints so I managed to pose it again.

But now I faced a new problem. Right leg was going to be 1-2cm in the air! Yes, I sweared alot!

When I calmed down I found a box with "concrete" bits and decided I will put few under the leg. and I think it will look good enough.

Base will be painted with martian ironearth so it will cover/hide the concrete bits.

Now the warning. Dont try make a pose where the feet are too close to each other. That was what created my problem.

And absolutely dont glue both legs/feet at the same time. ;o)

Edited by Parweke

Now, if that wasnt enough for today I soon faced another problem.

Started to build the second Warlord and noticed at some point that one bit from the leg assembly is missing (part number 10).

I searched everywhere, GME box, floor under carpets , bed, sofa, tables.... its gone. There is a chance that it was broken off before sprues were put into the box.

As it has definitely broken of as those bits that I have cut off from the sprue has left very different look on the sprue.

http://i.imgur.com/mWTgJpn.jpg

Here you can see the gaping hole in the upper part of the left leg.

Do you guys think if I contact GW they would send me a replacement part?

Yes, I have requested replacement parts many times and they have always sent me everything (and more), but those were for Forgeworld kits.

I will write email to gw customer support later today.

Luckily the missing bit can be glued to its place at anytime and this wont slow my building in anyway.

Wow, wait, what'd I miss? TWO Maniples? And a Myrmidon? What is Myrmidon? the new black? :lol:

Good luck with this mega=project mate, and we are never bored looking a Titans under construction! And sorry to hear about your leg trouble... Just to be sure I have my Warlord's right foot unglued at the knee so it will act as a balancing factor. Still I'd rather have glued the pelvis at slightly more front angle...

So Mortis then? Let's see this project take off! 

The war stories coming out of warlord and reaver leg assembly is making me appreciate why the 40K knights don't have posable ones. Good luck with getting replacement part. If there's no joy, maybe you could cover it up with battle damage? Or an improvised armour plate?

The war stories coming out of warlord and reaver leg assembly is making me appreciate why the 40K knights don't have posable ones. Good luck with getting replacement part. If there's no joy, maybe you could cover it up with battle damage? Or an improvised armour plate?

I already tried to make one from a venerable dreadnought plate (or three) plastic just wont bend like resin... well it bends but then it breaks easily.

Maybe green stuff and something spiky next? ;o)

Wow, wait, what'd I miss? TWO Maniples? And a Myrmidon? What is Myrmidon? the new black? :lol:

Good luck with this mega=project mate, and we are never bored looking a Titans under construction! And sorry to hear about your leg trouble... Just to be sure I have my Warlord's right foot unglued at the knee so it will act as a balancing factor. Still I'd rather have glued the pelvis at slightly more front angle...

So Mortis then? Let's see this project take off!

Hah, yeah two maniples, I couldnt decide. This will propably be a long project, im not going to buy rest of titans all together. maybe 1-2 a month.

And there will be a, hmmh, big surprise coming when I start with Atarus. :o)

No pics today as I didnt take any.

But both warlords now have legs and torso build. I left few bits of as I want to paint them before I glue them.

I started on Reaver too, legs are almost done.

Its slow work cleaning all those mold lines. worked about 5-6 hours today.

Tomorrow I will finish the Reaver and then its time for warlord weapons.

Sent email to gw about the missing part, no answer yet.

and still no magnets, almost a month now since I made the order.

some progress today, reaver legs was almost as hard to pose as warlords...

http://i.imgur.com/CTseTeY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Bgz5flN.jpg

gw answered to my email and they promised to send me the missing part.

also contacted the seller about my magnets. packege was sent 24th august from UK. I think it is lost. Lets see what happens with that.

yes, paint... okay next week maybe?

Still have to decide if I paint some stripes or other patterns to the panels.

Going to search the interweb for some inspirations.

Also im thinking about the metallics, first layer is going to be black metal (scale paint) then some gun metal and finally chrome. then gloss varnish and wash mix (nuln+agrax or nuln+agrax+sepia)

tomorrow ill finish the reaver and if I have time will build warlord weapons too... but during the weekend I dont have time to do anything

Yeah, next week is fine! :lol

I certainly look forward to see your “study in metallics and washes” - I think we’re in an archaic look on your machine! Definitely a different process of treating metallics than the one I use... :yes:

only had time to do fist and gatling blaster for the reaver.

http://i.imgur.com/VMpCE7p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fSao1vt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ii1nAh9.jpg

weapons, torso and head are not glued yet just blu tacked.

now its time for the weekend activities :)

next update on monday evening (or tuesday)

edit: should I scrape off the imperial symbol from the fist and replace it with etched brass eye of horus?

Edited by Parweke

edit: should I scrape off the imperial symbol from the fist and replace it with etched brass eye of horus?

Not necessarily, unless you want to.... First-off it’s not too Imperial it is more like Adeptus Titanicus (OK it has wings) and it could be early Heresy or even Great Crusade era... but if you really want to do it, it don’t want to be the one to dissuade you.. :lol:

This is an ambitious project you have, looks good so far.

In general, and for the legs in particular, one single advice: dry fit, dry fit, dry fit, constantly dry fit before gluing.

For the reaver, the front piston being the longest one gives the "minimum" angle you can have between the lower part of the leg and the foot.

Looking forward for the next steps.

This is an ambitious project you have, looks good so far.

In general, and for the legs in particular, one single advice: dry fit, dry fit, dry fit, constantly dry fit before gluing.

For the reaver, the front piston being the longest one gives the "minimum" angle you can have between the lower part of the leg and the foot.

Looking forward for the next steps.

I did dry fit them, many times, honestly... still it was kinda hard. but on the next one I'll do better ;) Edited by Parweke