What could Chapter Approved do?

Morticon

Y'all know that you don't have to use CA etc right? Just in gaming settings that demand it ie: tournaments etc.......

Just saying......its beta at best. If you feel it took your game, set fire to it and beat it out with a crowbar....just.....don't use it......or house rule stuff.....maybe....

BCC

Y'all know that you don't have to use CA etc right? Just in gaming settings that demand it ie: tournaments etc.......

Just saying......its beta at best. If you feel it took your game, set fire to it and beat it out with a crowbar....just.....don't use it......or house rule stuff.....maybe....

BCC

Narrative games almost universally fell by the wayside in favor of matched play. Similarly, it seems like most folks treat things like the deepstrike rules or rule of 3 like it is gospel truth. Not saying that is good, either, but them's the breaks.

If I had my way, I would just be using index rules with 8th, hard stop. Most of these newfangled codices are unbalanced as heck, both internally and externally. Any subfaction with a -1 to hit is basically unparalleled thanks to the fact that math exists and our dice only have 6 sides.

I think if they're gonna nerf Turn 1 Deep Striking, then they should nerf Turn 1 shooting as well.

Their stated intentions were to "let the game develop more" and let things breathe instead of having Turn 1 Win Syndrome. Ok, if that's their intentions, why not go all-in and say that Turn 1 is really about Movement and positioning so other actions (Shooting, Reserves, Psychic, Charging) are penalized some how? Make it even handed across all army types as opposed to just a select few.

Anyways, I have a feeling this December 2018 Chapter Approved is going to be pretty beefy. The community backlash about having to pay for points adjustments was universal enough that they definitely took note (even for GW). But that doesn't mean they'll make it cheaper, rather they'll cram more in to try to justify the price.

As such, I imagine there will be some hefty substance in there. The beta SoB Codex being one example.

Just my $0.02

Bringing back the idea of cover actually blocking line of sight would help. Nothing showed me the stupidity of that rule than an Elder scorpion exploding my LRC on turn 1 after firing through four buildings.

Do people really not like the turn 2 deep strike rules?

Killed my interest in the game, TBH. Kind of a poor reaction, I'll admit, but an honest one.

Turn 2 deep strike rules was fine by itself, keeping tons of units that were costed for turn 2 deepstrike the same points was a slap in the face for early books.

Even if a lot of the codexes are creative and cool and the 8th ruleset itself is fundamentally great. 

8th ed line of sight rules are a core mechanic and terrible.

Guest MistaGav
I'm hoping for an expansion into the VDR rules with more vehicles and preferably matched play points. The main thing is for big sweeping points changes to a lot of marine stuff and extra rules to give them a fighting chance again.

The first big FAQ was delayed for a month in March so considering we've heard nothing yet I'd assume the same again here.

We also have Orks on the horizon, which IMO have a potential to completely bORK the game balance up (for better and worse) so I can see some major errata potentially being needed.

While chapter approved will be yearly, I do wonder if it'll be a December deal again this year... Orks also mean that every major faction will finally have a codex (unless you count Ynnari), so the next CA has a lot of pressure riding on it, basically it's going to have to reset the baseline between codexii, now that the power creep is in full effect.

RE Deep Strike rules, it was a big call on GWs part and quite heavy handed - it was implemented to stop deep strike shooting, but instead it neutered BAs main selling point (semi-reliable turn 1 charges and pressure). Keen to see how they update it now they've had feedback.

The line of sight rules are fine. The terrain rules is what sucks.

Tru dat. Abstract LOS works with any terrain.

TLoS is fine in principle, but your terrain actually needs to block LoS, which GW ruins dont. They're fixing that with the new sector Imperialis terrain, or so it seems. 

Doesn't help jungle boards. 

On the whole, it would be best to go to abstract LoS (if they're in the terrain, you can shoot them, if they're behind the terrain, you cant) as LoS blocking buildings remain the same, and forests actually provide cover now. 

From what has been hinted, Grey Knights and Astartes will receive a significant boost in the new Chapter Approved.

As for deepstriking on turn 1 9" from enemy - it was far, far too powerful.

I remember playing in games where the opposing army would appear around my forces, and even if I didn't suffer significant damage I was boxed in and unable to move. Telling players to "spend points on screening units" is NOT a good solution as you're forcing a mandatory unit type and tactic onto every army, and encouraging allies even more.

Gunlines aren't the dominating force as mobility is important. If you're in a meta where static armies dominate you need to introduce more LOS blocking ruins and terrain to the tables.

I remember playing in games where the opposing army would appear around my forces, and even if I didn't suffer significant damage I was boxed in and unable to move. Telling players to "spend points on screening units" is NOT a good solution as you're forcing a mandatory unit type and tactic onto every army, and encouraging allies even more.

Yeah telling people to spend points on anti-tank units is not a good solution either. Better ban tanks. :teehee:

What if your army has no good screening units? So now a Deathwatch player MUST take Astra Miliatrum allies?

We're not talking about weapon effectiveness - all armies have gear to deal with different target types. We're talking about being forced to adopt a unit type and strategy across every army on every gaming table. That's what happened prior to the FAQ. Players will abuse any system if given the opportunity to.

Deathwatch have the ability to counter with their own deep strike to not get surrounded tho. It's really just a ridiculous argument that people shouldn't need to adjust their lists to deal with specific enemy lists.

Yes, but you're now saying that Deathwatch MUST use deepstriking. Either way, it funnels tactics and play-styles, dictating what players do before games even start.

The mechanic is too powerful. The fix they put in may have been too heavy handed, but going back to how it was is also not a solution.

That is patently ridiculous. You're not forcing anyone to do anything because not every player includes a deep striking death star in their army.

And yet gunlines aren't dominating the current meta, so the deepstrike restrictions didn't create a static game. Some forces like GK are definitely struggling, but it's not the sole reason why they've fallen behind.

I believe they said the terrain rules would be getting a major update during the NOVA seminar. Which is great, since they’re one of the weakest aspects of the game, now. The return of Area Terrain is probably too much to hope for, but right now the mere presence of windows make buildings into something of a joke.

What they *should* do:

- Adjust pts cost of obviously overpowered units (hello eldars)

- Fix -1 hit nonsense stacking and applying after rerolls

- Remove CP batteries and fix allies

- Give sensibile terrain rules

What they will *probably do*:

- Mess up even more all of the above

- Increase pts cost of some FW units nobody was using already

From what has been hinted, Grey Knights and Astartes will receive a significant boost in the new Chapter Approved.

As for deepstriking on turn 1 9" from enemy - it was far, far too powerful.

Gunlines aren't the dominating force as mobility is important. If you're in a meta where static armies dominate you need to introduce more LOS blocking ruins and terrain to the tables.

The only reason deep strike "9 would be too powerful for you to handle is if you played and/or built your list poorly. You could already counter or mitigate deep strike with scout moves, infiltrators, screens, stratagems, and unit special rules. The power level rule already kept people from reserving too much so the turn 2 rule was totally over the top.

Archived