Lord Uglor Does Gryphonicus

Lord Uglor

@Captain Semper- I've got a third Reaver that I'm going to put one fist/chain fist on and the magnetize the other hardpoints while I wait for my Warhounds to show up.  I'm finishing another 3 knights as well.  After that, I'm going to get ambitious and try to convert a Warlord into a true representation of an orignal Beetleback Warlord.

@Chaplain Dosjetka:  Thanks!  You can find a lot of ready to go files on Thingiverse.  There are a couple that also need a bit of work in scaling to be ready to print.  I've got a mesh for a Reaver Melta Cannon that I haven't had a chance to resize yet.

I’m pretty sure I used the same plasma model from Thingiverse, I used TinkerCAD to cut it down and reverse the armor panel to the top and printed the back end separately. Yours looks a little cleaner than mine so I’ll have to paint them really simply.

I love the painted pattern to your armor panels, good look for them.

@ Mendi Warrior-  Thanks!  I cant take credit for the scheme, I'm just basing it on the original Gryphonicus colour scheme, just a little darker.

@ Bjorn Firewalker-  Thank you very much!

@ Parweke- Thanks!  I like to have fun with my names, perhaps a bit too much.  In the old days, I used to run an Imperitor I named Pimp Imperialis, Sadly the model is lost to the mists of time.

@ Captain Idaho- Thanks!  Since I don't make the 3D designs myself, the hardest part is finding meshes to use. As far as getting stuff printed for you, I've found in my area that a few of the local gaming stores are offering 3D printing services now.  This might be something you could look into.

@ noigrim- Thanks!  The prints are just a stop gap while I wait for Forge World to make proper ones.  The designs are good enough, and most importantly are representative of what they're supposed to be.  It gets a little annoying looking across the table at an opponents Warlord armed with Apoc Launchers and Volcanoes and trying to remember what its actually armed with without repeatedly asking your opponent. 

@ Fajita Fan-  Thanks!  Your ahead of the game compared to me.  I'm fine changing scales, but changing the meshes are beyond my capabilities right now.  I do plan on getting some sort of 3D software at some point, because I'd really like to try my hand at modelling my own designs.

@ Mendi Warrior-  Thanks!  I cant take credit for the scheme, I'm just basing it on the original Gryphonicus colour scheme, just a little darker.

@ Bjorn Firewalker-  Thank you very much!

@ Parweke- Thanks!  I like to have fun with my names, perhaps a bit too much.  In the old days, I used to run an Imperitor I named Pimp Imperialis, Sadly the model is lost to the mists of time.

@ Captain Idaho- Thanks!  Since I don't make the 3D designs myself, the hardest part is finding meshes to use. As far as getting stuff printed for you, I've found in my area that a few of the local gaming stores are offering 3D printing services now.  This might be something you could look into.

@ noigrim- Thanks!  The prints are just a stop gap while I wait for Forge World to make proper ones.  The designs are good enough, and most importantly are representative of what they're supposed to be.  It gets a little annoying looking across the table at an opponents Warlord armed with Apoc Launchers and Volcanoes and trying to remember what its actually armed with without repeatedly asking your opponent. 

@ Fajita Fan-  Thanks!  Your ahead of the game compared to me.  I'm fine changing scales, but changing the meshes are beyond my capabilities right now.  I do plan on getting some sort of 3D software at some point, because I'd really like to try my hand at modelling my own designs.

Should I do a tutorial?  I'm a librarian and we have 3d printers in our system so I do public 3d printer trainings using TinkerCAD, a free online utility that lets you do simple stuff.  

Specifically I'm asking if anyone knows rules about talking about 3d printing on these boards. I saw a rule about respecting copyrights but the models are out there. I know some people get squeamish about 3d printing but we're talking about printing weapon parts for which there are rules but no official models.

Edited by Fajita Fan

Just a minor update, got 2 boxes of Warhounds today, I should have at least one done by Sunday to show off.  I'm going to go Turbo Laser and Plasma Blastgun (on at least the first one).  I don't plan on making these magnetized, too much hassle for these minis I think.

It's not that bad if you have really small magnets.  I have some really tiny but strong ones from K&J that are like 1/8" and much smaller than the 5mm ones we use on the Warlord guns.  I wasn't going to bother originally but the difference in points between 10pt megabolter and 30pt plasma gives you more flexibility for list building.

You can see them in this pic, I didn't need to use any greenstuff down in the bottom of the cup and I just cut the Warhound elbow flat with a clipper to glue a 5mm on there. The nice part is that they're really posable and can be aimed but it'll be harder if you only have 5mm magnets.

IMG 0124

I do have a wide selection of magnets, plenty strong enough to accomplish the task, but I want the arm in there.  With my 40K titan, I cut the arm in half and placed the magnets in the arm itself.  That way each weapon had have the arm, as did the shoulder.  I have 1/16th cylinder magnets that should fit the bill, but then I run out of arms if I do it the same way.  The first at least will be a static build.  I'll evaluate as I progress.

As an aside, Fajita Fan, what are the green guns in your Bin'o'weapons? 

Volcano cannon conversion.  I 3d printed a pair from a model meant for an Imperial Knight but they came out way too small, I printed another pair and they're way too big.

I took the too-small ones and mated them with an extra backend from a pair of Sunfury plasma cannons and kinda mishmashed it till it looked big enough.  The little round things are IG heavy flamer nozzles from a Shadowsword, the bodies of the heavy flamers were used as the bodies of the Reaver melta cannons that are also in that box o' bits. 

I also tried to use a Warlord volcano and trimmed it down but it's still kinda massive.

IMG 0096

IMG 0078

Edited by Fajita Fan

@ Fajita Fan- They fit the bill!

@ Captain Idaho- I would prefer to use official models as well, but that would require either GW or FW to make them.  These printed ones are a stop gap for me, and I only make them for my son and I.  I wrote an email to FW asking for info on any future release, inquiring why they were breaking their self imposed rule of no rules without models post Chapterhouse court ruling.  They told me to keep my eye on Warhammer Community because they could provided no answers.  They are creating the vacuum.  I, myself, will gladly toss my prints once they make available the weapons that should have been available once the game was released. This may sound a little preachy, perhaps, bitter even, I'd wager, but I just want to get some nice resin (or plastic) official weapons. :biggrin.:

Alrighty!  Been a bit longer than I'd hoped, but at last I have finished my first Warhound.  The colour scheme is taken from my 40k titan, Canem Belli.  The method I normally use had to be refined a little, the dots I used are smaller and more random than those on the larger Titans, but in my opinion works a little better on the smaller frame.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/Lord-Uglor/WarhoundFront.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/Lord-Uglor/WarhoundRight.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/Lord-Uglor/WarhoundLeft.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/Lord-Uglor/WarhoundRear.jpg

I still have to do the dull cote, but that will have to wait until I get the awesome new FW decals for Gryphonicus.  Once I have them, I'll be redoing the decals on all the titans that have come before.  

My second warhound is built, based and primed black, but that is as far as I've gotten with that.

@ Captain Semper-Thank you!  At this point, my second one will be armed the same way, Turbo Laser and Blast gun. Gives them punching power.  I have another box or Wahounds, and these are the ones that I'm going to be magnetizing for any armament configuration.

@ Mendi Warrior-  Thank you!

@ Chaeron- Thank you!

I don't know if I'll get a chance to finish the second one this weekend, but I am giving it a go for sure.