Is Be'lakor worth the price?

elbianc

Hi, im building a Daemon Army, mostly Slaanesh Daemon princes and Daemonettes, im gonna use 3 daemon prince, is it worth to use Be'lakor too? it seems quite expensive at 280pts...

but hes fast, can use dark hecticus discipline (warptime and  diabolic strength!!!), and is sword is fantastic!

what do you think?

His powers aren't great but getting 2 casts is nice, when I've used him one usually ends up as smite.

His main tricks are his save rerolls, his -5 AP damage 3 weapon and granting rells to any daemon (can be good in a mixed god list). For the extra 100pts over a regular DP I don't think it's terrible but he definitely isn't as good as some of the DP builds with relics etc (or TS DPs in general).

I also think he needs support to make the most out of his abilities (like death hex for his sword or warp surge for 4++ rerollable)

I've asked the same question and had to use him myself to find out. He is expensive. That said, most that have used him, at least that I've talked to and including myself, feel that he is worth the cost. He is slightly more durable than most princes with his re-rolls on saves. His sword is like running a hot knife through butter on most models and combined with death-hex he shreds things, even Death Guard pretty easy. The Ld penalty isn't great, but whatever. Also, he is faster than other princes, not accounting for warlord traits and warp time.

His drawbacks are that he can't be summoned (see FAQ) and therefore MUST be in a dettachment, which provides him 0 benefits. By beta rules, he has to be in a daemon dettachment which means his dettachment will lose the special faction locus if you were going for mono-god benefits. This also means unless you are taking a second daemon dettachment, making him an auxilary (-1CP), or already had units in mind for his dettachment you will be taking other units as tax. Brimstone horrors are a cheap troop choice. If you do take a 2nd daemon dettachment as mono-god, all other characters should be in that dettachment since the locus is an aura applied to characters and therefore can still benefit other daemons in Be'lakor's dettachment.

He also has a smaller pool of psychic powers as the Codex tells you to use the Dark Hereticus powers in the same Codex, it gives a page number for the table in his datasheet which says to use said table if using Be'lakor. Death Hex and a mortal wound power still isn't bad, though it is frustrating. Especially frustrating since before the daemon Codex he had access to the full range of Dark Hereticus powers, even if they still only affected HERETIC ASTARTES.

I would recommend Be'lakor. I was shocked how effective he was even after Codex nerfs. He has decent staying power, but he might get a lot of attention. Think of him as a super glass cannon and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Yes, relics can bring other DPs close to Be'lakor, but he is there without a relic and the other princes don't get death hex paired with a weapon that lethal. Think of him as a buffer, faster termy combat sorcerer with the murder sword, but you still have a relic free.

• 3 weeks later...
Gonna try him today on a list with 3 slaanesh Daemon Princes, lots and lots of Daemonettes and some seekers, its against a guilliman gun line, so i dont have high hopes... But i bet it will be fun!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really, they should have given Be'lakor the "if this unit is in the detachment, it does not affect Battle-Forged, but can never gain Daemonic Allegiance bonuses" rule that a lot of 'neutral' characters/units have. I would have used him as-is if he had that. As of now, if I do use him, I have to use up a detachment slot and stick him in a detachment by himself because Daemons MUST have a Daemonic allegiance keyword, even ones like Furies/Soul Grinders. -sigh-

• 2 weeks later...

Really, they should have given Be'lakor the "if this unit is in the detachment, it does not affect Battle-Forged, but can never gain Daemonic Allegiance bonuses" rule that a lot of 'neutral' characters/units have. I would have used him as-is if he had that. As of now, if I do use him, I have to use up a detachment slot and stick him in a detachment by himself because Daemons MUST have a Daemonic allegiance keyword, even ones like Furies/Soul Grinders. -sigh-

He's still daemon and can go in an undivided detachment. All the daemon loci affect characters anyway so can just take a supreme command or something for your loci characters and then 1 undivided detachment for all the spares

Archived