Start Collecting: T'au

GenerationTerrorist

Hi guys. Looking at starting a small T'au army.

The reason for this is because every one of my other armies are heavily close combat/range, or Psychic, in nature.

Would buying 2 of the Start Collecting sets, plus a Commander, be a decent start for a Batallion? 10 Breachers and 2*5 Strike as my Troops. Commander and Crisis to drop in. No idea at all on the loadouts for the Commander or Crisis Team!

Everything with zero use in assault makes trying the army scare me, but also intrigue me at the same time.

Well T'au are lots of close range as well, especially Breacher and Crisis. ^^

The Start Collecting is great value if you really want to use Crisis. Most people don't like the currently tho since they are rather expensive for what they bring on the table. That being said this could change any time if GW decides to adjust point costs so if you like them there's not really a reason not to get them.

If you want to use them then your best bet would be going with Farsight Enclave Sept rules for the "+1 to hit the turn they come in" Stratagem for Crisis Suits.

For the Breacher try to get a Devilfish asap. T3 W1 Sv4+ is not that durable and you want your Breacher ideally to be within 5" of the enemy to blast your target away. They are more or less a suicide unit considering after that they are out in the open and your opponent probably will want to get rid of them if possible. ^^

Once you have a Commander and two SC! boxes then your next step would be to try and get some Markerlights in your list. Pathfinder are good and cheap but die extremely fast at T3 W1 Sv5+ but we also have neat options in form of the Firesight Marksman (an Elite slot character that buffs Sniper Drones but main reason to take him is that he's protected by the Character rule and has a BS3+ Markerlight) and the Cadre Fireblade (a cheap HQ slot character with a BS2+ Markerlight that also gives nearby Pulse Rifles, Pulse Carbines and Pulse Pistols +1 shot at half range).

I’d agree with everything thatsfPanzer said.

That said, I’ve built my force around 3 Start collecting boxes!

I use the Crisis Suits all the time and although they aren’t as pts efficient as some other choices they can do work.

I use 2 of the Iridium Armour Suits as XV8 Commanders and a Squad of 3 with Fusion Blasters and a Squad of 4 with Cyclic Ion Blasters.

They can give an opponent a bit of a surprise when committed at the right time.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I use the Crisis Suits all the time and although they aren’t as pts efficient as some other choices they can do work.

Same here. I play in a friendly, casual group and never go to tournaments so my Crisis Suits get a lot of use and are pretty effective. I enjoy playing them.

Archived