Fast vs slow units

Zombs

Hello, I'm a really new DG player and I noticed that the really hard hitting units like drones, PDs and PBC are very fast. On the other hand plague marines, terminators and support characters just move way slower.

How do you deal with this? Doesn't the army get separated because of these 2 different speeds?

Thanks for the help!

It's actually a trick.... the plague marines are slow in their stats, but with assault weapons (IE: Blight Launchers) you can advance, and fire normal. Most DG characters don't shoot worth a hill of beans, so it's often a psychic phase and/or cc you want to get into anyway so mostly I advance those as well.

Some things can -really- take off though. In even tournaments I can catch people off guard by advancing PBC's with flamers, and of course Bloat Drones. But that's okay as they can absorb most of the firepower. Your Daemon Prince with wings will be able to keep up.

Mortarion is good, but better with Warp time, and you need to ally in for that (I don't want to get into the index discussion here). Otherwise the army moves fairly decent. Don't forget the flamer weapons can all  advance and shoot, and you have for poxwalkers that character that allows you to use 2D6, pick the highest for advances. He's actually super useful in those lists. I never used to use him but realized those games where it's imperative for your army to be in your opponent's face, you have to use him.

Don't forget how fast our dreads can get. Contemptors with assault loadouts move upfield at a terrifying 9" + 1d6" and even those with heavy loadouts like leviathans or deredeos move 8" and 7" without losing any accuracy. Not shabby at all. 

Also don't forget that just because a unit can move fast it doesn't have to.

Keep your army together if your fast moving elements can't do their job on their own and use their high movement to surprise your opponent when it's time to strike (using a unit slowly can give an opponent a false sense of security even if he knows that it's a fast moving unit).

• 4 weeks later...

Also don't forget that just because a unit can move fast it doesn't have to.

Keep your army together if your fast moving elements can't do their job on their own and use their high movement to surprise your opponent when it's time to strike (using a unit slowly can give an opponent a false sense of security even if he knows that it's a fast moving unit).

Yeah thats actually a pretty clever idea!

DG are an army with a lot of "tricks" and this is another great one.

Archived