Flamers or Bolters

I have a hard time justifying any flamers. They're very expensive and I rarely use them. They're great when opportunities come up, though. I run my Rubrics either with no upgrades or with one soulreaper, but if I start adding flamers the price quickly moves out of the effective range.

It might be wise to wait for the big FAQ to see if they change rubrics and/or the gear pointwise.

It would be a shame to model 2x10 bolter rubrics only to see that warpflamers get a massive decrease in cost

Hopefully the updates this year can help Rubrics out a bit, but until then I agree that flamers are a bit expensive. The short range makes it harder to get into combat and with how dangerous they can be the more you add the more your opponent will stay out of range or focus fire on them. I'm still of the opinion that one or maybe two for a unit planning on getting close is best, but this is purely theory/experience from other armies currently.

I guess it depends on your local meta. If you expect your guys to get charged regularly then taking one or two flamer in a bigger unit might not be a bad idea just to give your opponent something more to think about.

I also second the worth of Flamer in Kill Team.

Over the course of the release I have kitted 4 boxes in the following manner with the Aspiring Sorcerers being magnetized for various loadouts.

2 warp flamer

1 src

6 bolters

2 warp flamer

1 src

6 bolter

5 warpflamers

1 src

3 bolters

6 bolters

3 flamer

Keep in mind this not all at once,I started out w 2 kits and did the 2 over the course of another year or so but I started off with a bit of flexibility knowing that within a couple years I would have lots of options in both size and loadouts. I have never used all once but have various lists that include a 1,2 or 3 units of 5 or 10 or a 20 man brick etc... a bit overkill but I love the models and have 2 different painted 1k son factions but here is hoping the flamers get a point reduction.

• 3 weeks later...

It might be wise to wait for the big FAQ to see if they change rubrics and/or the gear pointwise.

Big FAQ confirmed not to have point changes - those will come in Chapter Approved.

Still, if you never make models on the basis that their rules might change in the future, you'll never make any models. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally, I feel that it is best to run either mostly flamers or no flamers, having 50/50 you make a unit that isn't great at anything but tries to be ok at both close range and mid range fire. I'd rather stick a unit with all flamers forward while a unit with all bolter stays back and avoids combat.

Personally, I feel that it is best to run either mostly flamers or no flamers, having 50/50 you make a unit that isn't great at anything but tries to be ok at both close range and mid range fire. I'd rather stick a unit with all flamers forward while a unit with all bolter stays back and avoids combat.

Currently experimenting with shifting the loadouts on my 20 man brick:

2 Soulreaper, Warpflame Pistol, 8 Flamers, 9 Bolters. Still a decent volume of fire at range and nasty up close. Since I usually march it right up the middle wrapped around my Warlord and a Daemon Prince, those Flamers should eventually see good use. 

I do understand what you're saying and in most cases, specialization is great, but since I'm focusing all buffs on the unit, I think I can get away with this. We'll see.

As a note, Warpflamers combo really well with one of the Legion's preferred transports in the fluff: the Storm Eagle. Put 10 Warpflamer Rubricae and 10 Tzaangors with a horn in there and go. With just Hellstrike Missiles, Twin Heavy Bolter, Vengeance Launcher, it should be somewhere around 300pts

I doubt mine will change with CA. I'll probably still use 3-4 flamers in my 10 man squad.

The thing is their effective range is around 12" so getting in tighter isn't a big deal but it's bigger than that... people despise charging the unit so they plink away at it and with All is Dust kicking in it just makes them seem to last longer.

With the points drop I'm thinking 3 in a 10 model unit, along with a SRC (also cheaper!). I don't want to lose too much longer range fire power but at the same time there's quite a few combat units I'll need to worry about - plus all the units that would rather be slapping my Rubrics in combat than being in a slugging match at range :tongue.:

Archived