Red scorpions project

Johanhgg

In an attempt to get rid of all my SM chapter projects, ive chosen a chapter with origin unknown so i can choose different chapter tactics instead of starting 10 different armies. The result of this is red scorpions.

I have plenty of models to paint including culln the risen, 10 aggressors, 10 hellblasters, rapier carriers, intercessors and other stuff. This is my start below with a leviathan dread and tacticals. Im going for a more weathered look and Gun metal Grey/black colour.

47eec670-4550-444c-8196-75b0e827f4a5-ori

25df3d4a-d49c-4ba5-8f75-cc5b0d6ebdff-ori

Being a fan of the Red Scorpions lore and paint scheme, I'm always happy to see some new projects start up, but I feel this differs too much from the studio scheme with the black and metallic paints and ends up looking like Iron Hands with different squad markings. 

Being a fan of the Red Scorpions lore and paint scheme, I'm always happy to see some new projects start up, but I feel this differs too much from the studio scheme with the black and metallic paints and ends up looking like Iron Hands with different squad markings.

They look like Iron Warriors to me. But I'm in agreement. I don't see Red Scorpions with these guys.

That being said, I am interested in seeing how this goes.

They look like Iron Warriors to me. But I'm in agreement. I don't see Red Scorpions with these guys.

The Levi certainly looks IW because he has more metallic paint on him, but the marines have a lot of black on them. 

Thanks guys for the input. In fact they were Iron warriors before so Youre right thats was one of my many projects i started. I maybe should have said that the iconograohy will be in line with red scorpions.

This is more inline with the end result

This is better, with the helmet strip and shoulder pad trim being more in line with the Scorps, but the black paint with silver still reads like Iron Hands to me (too dark for IW imo). 

The Roman style kneepad marking traditionally is not the squad number with these guys but the company number. Squad number if present is a stylised Arabic number over the squad type marking on the right shoulder pad similar to the way Dark Angel markings work, with mine I'm being a little less stringent since I'm mostly using Shapeways markings that a transfer won't sit right on top of. Some will have a squad designation transfer with a number transfer layered across the top, some will have the squad number on the front facing part of the pad rather than centralised on the squad designation and some will move the number to the right knee.

I really like the older darker style you've gone with for the Red Scorpions, I think the shade of the eye lenses contrast quite nicely as well. You planning on the painting the chest aquila or leaving it dark? Just curious I think it works well enough as is. 

Also do you plan on painting up some of these bad boys?

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/d/da/Red_Scorpions_Angstrom.jpg

I really like the older darker style you've gone with for the Red Scorpions, I think the shade of the eye lenses contrast quite nicely as well. You planning on the painting the chest aquila or leaving it dark? Just curious I think it works well enough as is.

Also do you plan on painting up some of these bad boys?

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/d/da/Red_Scorpions_Angstrom.jpg

Thanks a lot brother! I’m thinking about leaving the aquilas as it is, I’m afraid the yellow will take over too much if I go yellow on them, and I want to have them dark and menacing

Actually yes, I have thought about doing that on some veterans...I don’t know yet if I’m ready for that pattern but I think I will do a test model and see how it turns out. I’m happy to see someone else who knows about that crazy pattern

Some of us fell in love with Badab because of all those crazy patterns. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived