Mendi Warrior's Adeptus Titanicus project log

Mendi Warrior

Excellent as ever Mendi! I wonder if an even brighter yellow highlight (even towards white), at the very base of the flame, might help to add that colour gradient too, which you would tie in with a collective wash colour? Perhaps a yellow or red wash to bring that together? I'd be tempted to test on something small first, lest you not like the result of course!

Awesome! Have you thought about adding Word Bearers iconography?

Amazing!

Excellent as ever Mendi! I wonder if an even brighter yellow highlight (even towards white), at the very base of the flame, might help to add that colour gradient too, which you would tie in with a collective wash colour? Perhaps a yellow or red wash to bring that together? I'd be tempted to test on something small first, lest you not like the result of course!

Thanks a lot guys!

The Word Bearers iconography is a very cool idea. I'll probably wait until we see what is in store for Suturvora wrt transfers.

Regarding additional colours, that is exactly what I have in mind. First I need to test it. The one thing I regret is not having used my 00 size brush earlier. It takes time but I get nice results, not always super consistent though.

So far I have only shown progress on the Warlord but I have 3 Reavers and 2 Warhounds going through the same process at the moment. I am close to completing the "base" colours. Painting Warlock Bronze trim by the miles these last days so I can glue some panels in place. But before that I need to give everyone a good shade of Nuln Oil (I'll avoid the fiery panels of course). Then testing addition of a little bit of white and yellow and red washes. I even have bought fluorescent yellow, orange and red paints which I might try as well.

This is the first time I have actually painted something to such a stage.

Yesterday I filled the gaps in the toes with milliput and earlier this morning I added leadbelcher to cover it so everything is ready for a Nuln Oil wash. More soon.

A few pics of the Warlord's toes

• with milliput to fill the gaps (no attempt at sculpting anything)

gallery_116407_14938_11766.jpg

• covered with Leadbelcher

gallery_116407_14938_27361.jpg

and then a "beautiful" :censored: moment with Nuln Oil … When using Nuln Oil you expect it to be very dark where it accumulates so I was surprised to see this

gallery_116407_14938_24819.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_4457.jpg

and as usual you notice this once you are done … after applying it to 2 Warhounds, 2 Reaver's torsos, the shoulders of a Warlord, and a large set of weapons ...

Basically I think it boils down to one major mistake I did … My Nuln Oil pot was nearly empty with the remaining quantity seemingly highly concentrated, so I decided to add a little bit of tap water (likely 1:1) , then I shook it vigorously. Tap water here is highly calcareous … I believe that is the explanation. At first I thought the paint got eaten away but that is not the case. The funny thing is that it darkens ok-ish except where it accumulates … I hope a second wash of Nuln Oil will allow to correct the mistake. I don't feel I can get away pretending it is verdigris.

Edit: A second wash of Nuln Oil (not tainted by tap water that is :biggrin.: ) solved the problem.

Edited by Mendi Warrior

Basically I think it boils down to one major mistake I did … My Nuln Oil pot was nearly empty with the remaining quantity seemingly highly concentrated, so I decided to add a little bit of tap water (likely 1:1) , then I shook it vigorously. Tap water here is highly calcareous … I believe that is the explanation. At first I thought the paint got eaten away but that is not the case. The funny thing is that it darkens ok-ish except where it accumulates … I hope a second wash of Nuln Oil will allow to correct the mistake. I don't feel I can get away pretending it is verdigris.

Edit: A second wash of Nuln Oil (not tainted by tap water that is :D ) solved the problem.

Phew, that’s a relief! I think your analysis of the problem is probably spot on. I used to get this from time to time, but thankfully not for a while. Try Lahmian Medium instead, next time. Also, we’re you using gloss or matt wash? I’ve been using the gloss washes on my titans and not had any problems at all, just wondering if it’s a problem uniquely with the original matt wash?

Indeed, it is.

I'm using the matt shades. Normally I don't add water to shades, this time I did. Learning by doing … I won't do it again :D I never used gloss shades so far so I can't compare.

Crossing fingers for a big push this weekend.

The gloss shades work amazingly well on the metallics, I would definitely suggest you experiment with one. I really like them!

Added to my list of things to try :thumbsup:

Pic of the weapons after the second Nuln Oil wash, problem solved :sweat:

gallery_116407_14938_96271.jpg

Current WIP

gallery_116407_14938_28713.jpg

Focus on the pledged Warlord, slowly but surely finishing the trim, one step at a time

gallery_116407_14938_70878.jpg

Close-up of the foot with the repositioned toes

gallery_116407_14938_30419.jpg

Close-up with the pistons in place, you can see I went very close to the extreme for one of them

gallery_116407_14938_7644.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_52173.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_64219.jpg

And a couple of pics of the 2 Warhounds, which I started at the same time as the pledged Warlord, I'll probably add them to my pledge (just hedging my bet so far)

gallery_116407_14938_19905.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_61434.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_42242.jpg

Absolutely. I'm very pleased with the results.

As already said, my only regret is not having switched sooner to a 00 size brush. Consistency is also something to improve, I'll get excellent results then the next time not so good ones, the only solution: more practice needed (hence more titans to buy … someday :biggrin.: )

More progress on other titans as well.

3 Reavers, I need to paint the trim on the legs' armour plates, time to cut them off the sprues. The pistons and armour plates for the toes required very little modifications to fit nicely with the armour panels in place (using 2 loose ones to dry fit).

gallery_116407_14938_1392.jpg

Torsos are nearly done too. Heads and weapons are the ones where I still have a "lot" of work. Same for the 2 Warhounds.

gallery_116407_14938_58086.jpg

Edited by Mendi Warrior

More progress

Legs

gallery_116407_14938_4879.jpg

Reavers - back of the legs: I painted the eagle as well as all the trim on the lower part of the legs, even though most is hidden under the armour plates :teehee:

gallery_116407_14938_22074.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_61465.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_20005.jpg

Adding the armour plates, feels good once they are all glued

gallery_116407_14938_75921.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_61321.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_54313.jpg

Then I switched to the bases and added some rubble which is simply sprue bits, cut in small pieces, alternating cutting with my left and right hands to avoid too much pain in the fingers. They are put in place using polyfilla. I'll add more details later.

gallery_116407_14938_3636.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_110480.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_60677.jpg

Thanks!

Slow progress the last few days as I got pretty busy with other things (like going to a job fair and an art fair), I focused on the bases, adding more rubble here and there. Ideally I should do another pass with sand or something similar. Then painting them.

Bird's view of the various bases (with the engines' legs).

gallery_116407_14938_4382.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_34854.jpg

More to follow of course :biggrin.:

Great progress so far. I think those flames will look great.

One bit of feedback. I think the bronze you’re using for the edging doesn’t show up especially well against the black. You might be better off with brass or even gold. But I can imagine that it’d be massively irritating to have to go back and do so much edging again, so do ignore me if you want!

This might also just be an issue with the photos or lighting not picking out the contrast. And highlighting might brighten the edges a bit too.

Thanks guys!

10 days left to complete my vow, I need to kick myself as I have been much slower than I should have these last few days.

I have sprayed the bases with Zandri Dust, added some gold details, more detailing next.

One bit of feedback. I think the bronze you’re using for the edging doesn’t show up especially well against the black. You might be better off with brass or even gold. But I can imagine that it’d be massively irritating to have to go back and do so much edging again, so do ignore me if you want!

This might also just be an issue with the photos or lighting not picking out the contrast. And highlighting might brighten the edges a bit too.

I think lighting doesn't really do justice to the bronze. Here is one pic taken with natural daylight

gallery_116407_14938_1688.jpg

I didn't wanted the contrast too strong, going for a relatively dark edge, based on my interpretation of Suturvora colours. I thought brass or gold would have been too "brilliant". Curious to see what the colours will be once Suturvora appears in a supplement. Ideally I should wash and highlight, but that will probably be later (somewhat blocking on doing more edges for now).

More soon, likely after the weekend.