Mendi Warrior's Adeptus Titanicus project log

Mendi Warrior

A Coliseum where the Emperor's citizens can enjoy robot fighting might be cool as a terrain piece.

A little bit of progress

gallery_116407_14938_19692.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_34899.jpg

The trick is to make a perfect octogonal roof of the right size (29mm for a civitas imperialis panel), then it is flowing relatively easy. Aligning the buttresses is not too hard but you can see it was not 100% perfect. In retrospect, I should have been drawing a template on a sheet of paper, that would have helped.

As you can't have enough skulls, I added some (I just love the Citadel Skulls box for that).

Edited by Mendi Warrior

I've seen someone do something similar and use a Dreadnought weapon or something to make a macro defense turret. Can't wait to see what you're planning!

The macro defense turret is a great idea. I think I have seen one on Instagram a few weeks ago. Definitely on my to-do list.

Best octagon ever.

Thanks a lot!

As it seems I am in an octogonal phase:

gallery_116407_14938_58043.jpg

I added stairs

gallery_116407_14938_34534.jpg

Combined with one of the spires buildings

gallery_116407_14938_17709.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_49621.jpg

I know :biggrin.:

I hope we'll see an Imperator coming in the future (in plastic would be really cool) but I won't hold my breath.

it is inevitable that if/when we get an Imperator that it will be in resin(though I'd hope the cathedral would utilize some cool new/fancy plastic terrain parts, or at least the option to do so, to help personalize and make your Imperator unique), I read online there was a line in a newer book that said Imperator Titans were twice the height of a Warlord(not sure if that was counting the cathedral or not, which in important considering that's like a third of its height), which means that sense the AT scale Titans are 1/4 the size of their 40/30K versions, that an Imperator would be 1/2 the size of a resin Warlord, so roughly resin Reaver sized.

Edited by RipOffProductions

I just don’t know how much fun it will be to play an Imperator, the game seems fine at the scale we’re running without this giant chunk of plastic/resin that won’t even be able to move around terrain.

I just don’t know how much fun it will be to play an Imperator, the game seems fine at the scale we’re running without this giant chunk of plastic/resin that won’t even be able to move around terrain.

Imperators would likely be more of a collectors item/art project focused kit, much like Titans are in 40/30K, only being useful gameplay-wise either for ridiculously massive battles or gimmicky 1vMany fights.

also sense it would likely be a resin kit, it could also serve as a "gateway" to buying full scale 40/30K Titans, due to likely using similar construction techniques/design to those kits(pistons that need to be cut to fit, heat bending cables, pinning large parts together, and the usual needs of resin vs plastic).

• 1 month later...

With my Acastus Porphyrion reinforcements eventually emerging from the warp, I finally did something AT-related yesterday and today.

This is a nice kit, quite straightforward to build imho. The legs are utterly static, there is one single pose. So, torso orientation is what will give you the impression of movement (left or right leg forward).

gallery_116407_14938_52724.jpg

As usual, I went with sub-assemblies and immediately looked where I could put magnets :biggrin.:

I first clipped the various components off the sprue and cleaned them. Watch out, there are a few tiny ones which are pretty fragile and quite prompt to break if too much pressure is applied: all the cables (those of component 3 in particular), the railings (components 27, 28), and the defensive weapons (components 20, 21, 22, 23).

Here are my thoughts following the steps in the instruction booklet:

Step 1: quite straightforward, watch out not to break the cables (I managed the first one ok, I broke one cable of the second one I built).

Steps 2 and 3: there is a slight mistake in the instructions: components 5 and 7 must be switched in steps 2 and 3 of the instructions. Even if the risk of making the mistake is quite low, dry fitting is always a must. I glued the legs' armour panels in the following sequence: panels 8, 9, 10 then the foot and only then panel 11. Do it in one go so as to ensure the pistons go nicely in the foot joints, there isn't a lot of room for mistakes. For the 2 panels with pistons, the one which is taller (11) always goes to the exterior of the legs.

Step 4: pretty straightforward, the pistons and cables go pretty well where they are supposed to go.

Step 5: pretty straightforward as well. If using magnets, it is best to drill the left and right sides of the torso before gluing them, it is also easier to add some plastic sprue on which to glue the magnets. I used 3x1mm magnets there.

gallery_116407_14938_12330.jpg

I also drilled where the defensive weapons go so as to be able to insert a 1x1mm magnet. The little protuberance on the weapons and the corresponding holes in the torso are good guides, drill on the diagonal next to them.

Step 6: I skipped it, leaving the armour panels off to allow easier access for painting.

Step 7: if you go full magnets like me, don't glue the defensive weapons but use 1x1mm magnets, and also leave the top (component 24) off the rest of the torso. You can glue the railings and exhausts.

Steps 8a - 8b: I skipped them as I wanted to have a deeper look into using magnets there. Still undecided, seems pretty challenging as components 30 and 31 are pretty thin (less then 1mm thick) and part 29 doesn't present a particularly clear way to go (unless gluing it closed or opened of course).

Steps 9 and 10: pretty straightforward too, I left the carapace (components 36 and 40) off, in retrospect, I might also have left component 35 off to allow easier access for painting. I drilled 2mm diameter holes in components 34 and 39 to insert 2x1mm magnets. I first used a 1mm diameter drill bit to mark the exact center (it is only 2mm diameter at the top).

Step 11: I used 3x1mm magnets for the legs - torso joint and a mix of 2x1 and 3x1mm magnets for the weapons - torso joints.

With regards to magnets:

You need 1mm, 2mm and 3mm diameter drill bits and 1x1mm, 2x1mm and 3x1mm magnets. I lost 2 tiny 1x1mm magnets trying to separate them, they "jumped" somewhere … so far I have been unable to locate where exactly.

I followed the same north-south orientation as for my other knights and titans.

gallery_116407_14938_126190.jpg

Legs - Torso joint: two 3x1mm magnets

gallery_116407_14938_49279.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_6854.jpg

Weapons - Torso joint: two 2x1mm magnets (weapon's attachment points) and two 3x1mm magnets (torso's attachment points)

gallery_116407_14938_52800.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_7460.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_27637.jpg

Defensive weapons: six 1x1mm magnets (2 in the torso, 1 in each weapon)

gallery_116407_14938_69905.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_2742.jpg

Missiles pod: ? > not sure it is easily feasible

We should call you "Magnet Warrior" these days.

So I had two of my three boxes of Acastus knights cut up into jewelry boxes by L and R subassemblies with torsos separate and managed to spill the whole box on a gray carpet at work,  I might have some real fun finishing assembling mine.