Mendi Warrior's Adeptus Titanicus project log

Mendi Warrior

Thanks guys!

The icon is from the Khorne Bloodbound Skullreapers (AoS) https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Khorne-Bloodbound-Skullreapers

There are quite a few Chaos components from AoS that can be used for conversions, some very easy ones like this particular icon (the other ones from that set are nice as well but are all adorned with skulls, this one doesn't which I considered a bonus in view of the different scale).

Thank you, I have a ton of Khorne stuff from the old starter set when I got two boxes from a store closing.  I'll have to find someone with those at my store, the Khorne icons with human sized skulls won't work at AT scale.

Nice going Mendi! Quite the production line!

The magnet in the carapace works brilliantly. What’s the hold like?

Their strength is approximately 31g. It is sufficient, I can even lift the questoris knight with it. I bought 500 of them. Here are the specs: https://www.supermagnete.fr/eng/disc-magnets-neodymium/disc-magnet-diameter-1mm-height-1mm-neodymium-n45-nickel-plated_S-01-01-N

Thanks guys!

The icon is from the Khorne Bloodbound Skullreapers (AoS) https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Khorne-Bloodbound-Skullreapers

There are quite a few Chaos components from AoS that can be used for conversions, some very easy ones like this particular icon (the other ones from that set are nice as well but are all adorned with skulls, this one doesn't which I considered a bonus in view of the different scale).

Thank you, I have a ton of Khorne stuff from the old starter set when I got two boxes from a store closing.  I'll have to find someone with those at my store, the Khorne icons with human sized skulls won't work at AT scale.

True. Although some could work if the skulls are not impaled, I prefer this one for this precise reason. You can carve out the skulls if needed but that would be a lot of work I guess.

Once the legs were assembled, I started magnetising my Cerastus knights. After cleaning all the parts, I started with the torsos. I first drilled 3mm diameter holes in components 14 and 16. O then glued the back (component 15) to one of the sides and I measured the interior spread between both sides. It was about 6mm so I cut 6mm bits from plastic sprue. These will allow me to have a surface to which to glue the 3x1mm magnets and prevent them from falling inside of the torse when pushed in place. You see one shot from the front.

gallery_116407_14938_60492.jpg

Here is a profile shot. It is important to leave a little bit of space so the other side can be glued in place.

gallery_116407_14938_14694.jpg

I then glued the front of the torso. Then the torso to the legs. I left the carapace aside. I put the magnets after that.

gallery_116407_14938_32752.jpg

For component 20, I did some experiments.

For the "torso - shoulder" joint I initially used a 1x1mm magnet, then a 2x1mm magnet and finally a 3x1mm magnet. The 1x1mm is ok-ish but has a tendency to allow easily for the shield to point downward in a not really dynamic nor protective pose. The 2x1mm magnet is better but I eventually I settled down for the 3x1mm magnet as it stays really well in place. On the left you see a 3x1mm magnet. The piece's diameter there is 5mm and there is good thickness into which to drill.

For the "elbow - weapon" joint, the diameter is only 3mm so I did a try with a 2x1mm magnet but you have to drill spot in the centre otherwise you can damage the rim (as you can see on the right). I settled down for 1x1mm magnets.

gallery_116407_14938_758.jpg

Moving to the weapons, I used 1x1mm magnets there as well. See the shock lance, same for the gauntlets. I did try a 2x1mm magnet, it works but again you don't have room for error, hence my preference for 1x1mm magnets.

gallery_116407_14938_20234.jpg

Then I tackled the gauntlets and shields. It is quite easy. The hole has a 2mm diameter on top but slightly less at the bottom, hence you might want to carefully drill to ensure the magnets fit perfectly. Don't drill too much, there is not a lot of thickness (don't use power tools). As usual I use my "arm - weapon" trick (components from the questoris knights) to ensure I correctly align the poles of my magnets.

gallery_116407_14938_10590.jpg

And there you have the result

gallery_116407_14938_30693.jpg

Heads are for later. As there are 3 different per knight I'll likely magnetise some if not all of them using 1x1mm magnets. Carapaces will be glued later as well.

gallery_116407_14938_20748.jpg

Lol :biggrin.:

I magnetised a few heads as well. It is very straightforward. Drill a hole into the head (1mm in diameter, slightly deeper than 1mm), then drill a hole into the torso, right in the middle where the head goes. Then insert the magnets, make sure the poles are correctly aligned so you can change heads at will. Best way is to choose a direction, start with the head, then the torso. Use the magnet inserted into the head to ensure the one going into the torso is correctly aligned.

gallery_116407_14938_27514.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_10394.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_4764.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_20482.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_46669.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_74975.jpg

The last type of head is still on the sprues, carapaces are still not glued in place to allow for easier painting.

Thanks guys! They are great to put together :biggrin.:

And then I started with the new weapons sprue (I acquired a copy of the new warlord, I know, I am weak … and broke now ...), still some work to do on the Arioch claw and one head

gallery_116407_14938_41495.jpg

Taking advantage of magnets I put the weapons and one of the new heads on one of my previously assembled warlords

gallery_116407_14938_40518.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_88261.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_25451.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_61953.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_31374.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_43682.jpg

Excellent and inspiring stuff as always Mendi!

So can you definitely make full 2 heads from just the Sunfury Warlord sprue? Just planning ahead!

I’ve built everything of mine now. Just hope I can find a way to get it undercoated in this weather...

Excellent and inspiring stuff as always Mendi!

So can you definitely make full 2 heads from just the Sunfury Warlord sprue? Just planning ahead!

I’ve built everything of mine now. Just hope I can find a way to get it undercoated in this weather…

Thanks!

You can definitely make two heads. On the first pic you can see all 4 components for the one I haven't assembled yet (planning on painting the lenses first), and next to it the other one, also with 4 components, already glued except for the back as I hadn't drilled it yet for adding a magnet.

Well, I do like the head - the most brutal and archaic looking among all available Warlord heads! And the pose is great, very far west style! :D

It looks like it balances well but I guess you need to be very careful when glueing it on a base - you really need to make sure it’s sturdy... I’m mean that’s a lot of plastic to be carried by one leg - especially if you turn the torso during a game... oh, and have you dry-fitted the leg armour plates to be sure they fit? I was in for a nasty surprise with mine... :rolleyes:

Keep going mate, this is a fantastic blog! :tu:

Thanks guys!

The head is indeed the most brutal and archaic of the 4 heads currently available. And it is also a great one to chaosify, I already toyed a little bit with the idea. The other one from the new set is very nice, also great for a chaos conversion.

It looks like it balances well but I guess you need to be very careful when glueing it on a base - you really need to make sure it’s sturdy... I’m mean that’s a lot of plastic to be carried by one leg - especially if you turn the torso during a game... oh, and have you dry-fitted the leg armour plates to be sure they fit? I was in for a nasty surprise with mine... :rolleyes:

I'll probably pin it to the base. The front toe of the other leg touches the base so it adds a little bit of stability but indeed best to be extra careful when moving it.

Yes, I did dry fit, more than once, the leg armour plate. As you made doubt it, I just rechecked all the legs. It fits perfectly. For the ones which are really straight, you first need to incline the armour plate to put it in place, otherwise there are two little parts of the knee that are in the way (see part circled in green).

gallery_116407_14938_11478.jpg

I am nearly done building my new warlord. I had started with the weapons. I added a few more magnets to the Arioch claw.

I first tried with a 1x1mm magnet as I wanted to embed it into the tiny pin (see bottom left) but I quickly decided a stronger magnet was required. I drilled the part coming directly into the Arioch Claw so as to be able to insert a 3x1mm magnet there. I drilled a bit too deep so I had to rectify that (see bottom right).

gallery_116407_14938_65927.jpg

I removed the pin and drilled a hole 3mm in diameter and about 1mm deep. I inserted a 3x2mm magnet. I wanted this magnet to go into the other part as well.

gallery_116407_14938_51643.jpg

Profile view

gallery_116407_14938_33017.jpg

The Arioch claw with a 3x1mm magnet buried into it. Next time I'll use a 3x2mm magnet instead. The bond is ok but it would do no harm being a bit stronger.

gallery_116407_14938_17557.jpg

I then built the upper torso (leaving the top shoulders and base of the torso unglued for easier access for painting). I put magnets all the way as I did for my other warlords.

gallery_116407_14938_27983.jpg

Once this was done, I tackled the legs, going for a dynamic pose, dry fitting the legs' armour plates to ensure I would not run into trouble, and leaving one foot for later (I'm thinking of adding footprints into some greenstuff on a few of the bases).

gallery_116407_14938_86839.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_56664.jpg

As the weight is concentrated forward, I drilled a 2mm diameter hole into the left foot and leg ball joint. As the lower part of the leg is hollow, it was not much to drill and this will allow me to add a good length of metal for pinning the titan to its base. I'll likely add some thickness to the base to improve that aspect as well. The arrow shows where I drilled and the line gives both the direction and approximate length I have available for pinning.

gallery_116407_14938_29449.jpg

Edited by Mendi Warrior

So here is a picture of my "painting line" before I sprayed some leadbelcher. Most are AT models and components with some dwarves and old Empire knights thrown in the mix, bought a long time ago (20+ years ago for some), assembled later and so far never painted …

gallery_116407_14938_65146.jpg

Now slowly readying myself for adding leadbelcher to the parts I missed while spraying …