Mini- Batrep using 'traditional' list

Prot

I decided to roll out an Ultra list against a Necron player who has a very diverse list himself.

I've been playing a lot of 40K lately... even more than normal and I wanted to do an experiment of some of my favorite armies. I like the Necrons because they have the ability to bring a lot of looks. 

I decided on a heavy firepower list but used some of the Primaris units as well. Basically my list was:

-Calgar

- Tiggy

- Primaris Captain

- Lt.

- Primaris Ancient (Emperor Ascendant)

- Primaris Apothecary

- 5 scouts w/Missile

- 5 scouts w/Hvy Bltr

- 7 Intercessors w/Pwr Swrd, Grenade Launcher

- 5 Hellbasters

- 5 Bolt Aggressors

- 3 Assault Plasma Inceptors (deep strike with Calgar)

- Repulsor

- 2 squads of Devs 2 missiles/1 Las each

Necrons were pretty diverse with a C'tan, 2 squads of Warriors, Immortals. 6 Wraiths, 6 Destroyers, Cryptek, DestroLord w/Relic. Cmd Barge. Annihilation Barge. Scarabs, 6 Sword and board Lychguard.

We played the diagonal (vanguard?) map using Maelstrom rules.

He got first turn and I saw a massive advance, and always forget his Wraiths can advance, and assault (through walls and models as well). This is such a pain as the Wraiths are so hard to get rid of.

He smokes half of my Intercessors. The C'tan uses C'tan powers dealing mortal wounds and between that and the Warriors I lose most of my Scouts. Each squad is down to 2 guys.

My Turn:

- My turn is a mess. I fail all psychic powers (with rerolls) including the one that strips Invuln saves. So I marched up to the Wraiths and failed this with Tiggy. Tiggy Perils as well, so I blow a command point to save it.

- I did with draw my Intercessors so with the 'to hit' penalty they did nothing to the Wraiths. Without dropping their Invuln I knew I was in for a grind of a turn.

- I am forced to put both Dev squads, Hellblasters overcharging, the Repulsor, Intercessors, and all HQ's firing into those 6 Wraiths to kill them. Brutal. 

- I try to widdle down what I can with the Strats on the scouts missiles and hvy bolter with Mortal wounds. But his Destroyers only lose one model in the process.

- Aggressors move up slightly... they need to start taking down Warriors a bit. With 24 Bolt rounds, I wound 4 warriors, 1 dies. Gotta love bolters.

His Turn:

- The Wraiths JUST die. This is good and bad for me,  it took my entire army but he can't reanimate.

- He turns his C'tan towards my Scouts to get a point for assaulting something... I am actually happy he did that as it will delay the C'tan and his Warriors from making it to mid table.

- He has table dominance but his Ark tank only gets 1 wound through my repulsor and my Repulsor is down to 3 wounds at this point. I actually told him to ignore it at that point. Tiggy had the -1 to hit on it and it would be hitting on 5's anyway next turn.

- Most of his army is owning the table, and he's got a long, diagonal line of models now across the board and my Scouts are now all dead.

My Turn:

- This is where things turned. I had to get some points and I kind of threw Calgar and the Inceptors in the weeds. I needed a marker that he was sitting on with 3 Destroyers so I couldn't DS right on top of it. Instead I tried to get rid of his tank... and overcharged Plasma is perfect for those Necron living metal shield rules... so I kill it, and Calgar snaps off some shots at the Lychguard. I use a Command Point to get Calgar into the Destroyers and he kills them earning me two much needed points.

- Shooting continues. The Repulsor does nothing. TIggy puts some mortal wounds out, but suffers Perils twice, and dies even with re-rolls. Wow.

- Hellblasters kick out a lot of hurt this turn. My Aggressors do squat again and would die next turn. 

His Turn:

- Necrons are too split up in my opinion the C'tan and 15ish Warriors are just getting back into the fight after their diversion towards my Scouts in T1. This affords me some time.... the Repulsor is ignored, and he still hasn't shot at my Devs. Surprisingly my Devs do very, very little this game... kinda weird.

- I lose a Hellblaster but now his dice have gone sour on him and I get some lucky Ancient rolls for stuff shooting back. Then my Apothecary would bring back a Blaster from the dead.

- He continues to advance and his range is  getting critical as he kills most of my Intecessors, and once he kills my Aggressors then my Primaris Captain is out front and center. Very bad play by me. I get lucky and I still have 2 wounds left on him.

My Turn:

- Apothecary heals Primaris Captain to 4 wounds total. He has the Burning blade as well and charges into his Destroyer lord after my Hellblasters kill the rest of his Warrior blob. 

- Primaris Captain kills the Destro lord before he can swing. In that turn Inceptors overcharged and smoked all the Lychguard.

At that point my opponent conceded at turn 5. He had the C'tan, a command barge, and one squad of Warriors left. I still had my Devs, Hellblasters, all HQ's (except Mr.Perils) , and Inceptors.

Post Game:

I have to admit this worked better than I thought but would be no match for a hard Astra list... but then again, what is a match for Astra ? I think both of us tried to make a semi-casual list... nothing over the top. 

This seems to be the balance I'm finding. I don't think I can push too hard with Ultra's in the assault element with C'tans, Lychguard, Wraiths, Barges, and DestroLords around. It felt like a good balance having Calgar and Inceptors.

This is kind of an old list of mine, but I stripped out 'fancy' Heavies and went for the vanilla good ol' Dev squads with Cherubs, and Strategems for mortal wounds. 

Archived