Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[WIP] Sons of Horus 65th Company

30K Horus Heresy Sons of Horus WIP

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus 65th company

Thanks Astartes Consul, mate.  You know, the recon squad has got to be one of my favourites.  They aren't as modular and flexible as I'm used to, but I still really like the look and didn't have to do much cleanup beyond the usual scrub and rinse.   

It was pretty easy to work with, just two sniper rifles needed a bit of resin bending to reshape the barrels (the shotguns were totally good to go), and there was a minor defect on one backpack bretween the tube-ey bits and the cowling where it filled in but it wasn't much more than flash. It didn't take too long at all, and I didn't notice bubbling anywhere else either which was a bit of a surprise as so much of the models are full bodies.  But they were a lot of fun to work with and I definitely recommend 'em for some small squads.  They look like they could run the risk of looking 'samey' if you get more than 20 or so because of the way the arms are positioned are essentially locked.  

-laughs- Iiii'm gonna neeed to do another full army shot when I set up a second table.  The army is just a little bit big for one 6X4. 

• Astartes Consul likes this

ckYid5u.jpgETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_05_.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_AOD_Traitor.ETL_VI_Badge_Titanicus.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Faction_Master_AOD.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Martyr.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Artisan.jpg

Stofficus

Stofficus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 409 posts

All glorious stuff; your work here is one the reasons I chose to double-down on getting my Legion up to snuff, rather than my traditional scatter-project. 

The bin of ~120 Mk 3 marines is still taunting me from my spare bedroom though...

• Vykes likes this
Therefore, I conclude, Valve should announce Half Life 2: Episode 3.
Posted Image

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

Hah, awesome to hear, Stofficus mah brother, dude!  Those Mk.III always look awesome, and I do know how ya feel.  I'm gonna be getting a bin full of those glorious mk. IV soon enough, and apparently there's some mk. II hiding in some packages that I'm snooping my weasely nose for*.  There's few things more glorious than a fully fleshed out legion project with a bunch of infantry.  

*Being a painter, I get to do painting favours for first crack at some stuff I was too late on the draw for that others were too scared to do themselves.  Of all the bin drawers in all the spare rooms in the world, there's some pretty good stuff hidin' round here in my town, see? -taps the unlit cigar and pops the collar of a trenchcoat to make it all hipster film noire-

• Pearson73 and Stofficus like this

ckYid5u.jpgETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_05_.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_AOD_Traitor.ETL_VI_Badge_Titanicus.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Faction_Master_AOD.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Martyr.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Artisan.jpg

+Grimdark Prince Adam+

+Grimdark Prince Adam+

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 263 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Dammit Vykes, that group photo of your forces rocks my (and everyone elses, I suppose) socks! I still haven't got time to read everything, but I'm really impressed with your work, keep it up!

• Marshal Rohr and Vykes like this
My Space Wolves plog
http://www.bolterand...wolves-by-adam/

My Vlka Fenryka VI Legion plog, most recent stuff goes here:
http://www.bolterand...enryka-by-adam/

Why Display Name +Grimdark Prince Adam+?
http://www.bolterand...adam/?p=3926498

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 170 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

Your thread is fantastic, your Company is brilliant, but your choice of music is what solidified my view of you as an absolutely lovely person. 

• Vykes likes this

J25oay8.jpg

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

Thanks mates, Grimdark Prince Adam, Hungry Nostraman Lizard, that's awesome praising as you two have some seriously rich stuff goin' on!  -laughs- I do try for the music too, though my tastes get pretty diverse and pretty weeeeird at times as my shuffle play lists often attest (Still, that song is basically stuck in my head when I do work on the Warmaster's lot.) 

Well, not a ton of painted progress yet, but I am working on a suggestion that I believe frater Gorgoff suggested a while back in I think the Iron Warrior thread.  So there should be some progress of that pretty quick as I draw up a drop company list for a future expansion (if I can tear myself away from ogling some White Scars concepts).  But I did finish a few other things on the painting front while toying with a few simple online filters that make me grin.  So, hey, why not toss 'em up here too. 

gallery_107230_14721_274901.gif

gallery_107230_14721_191063.jpg

• DuskRaider, Brother Pheidias, Pearson73 and 2 others like this

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

Well, I officially joined the 12 month hobby challenge and I guess the 65th will be expanding juuust a bit more.  I'm hoping to contribute at least 1 new unit a month to it.  And while I don't do a lot of WIP's here, I'll toss 'em in.  

Now, Contemptor-Cortus, I love the idea of them and didn't have an idea of how to represent them well for a veeeery long time.  I got one to start, but now I'm thinking about 2 of them.  Whatcha all think? 

gallery_107230_14721_11989.jpg

• DuskRaider, Pearson73 and Hungry Nostraman Lizard like this

Dreagher

Dreagher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 369 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters 121st Company

It will definitly be easy to tell them appart from the normal ones, which is always great. The IW dreadnoughts torso has a nice tucked together feeling, as if there wasn't as much time during its production.

In which direction do you plan on having it face on the base?

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,331 posts
  • Faction: Warriors of Mayhem/Iron Hands

That's a nice pose on the Cortus and the base looks good too.

Personally, I really dislike the Iron Warriors Contemptor chassis, which makes it hard for me to judge this objectively! I think it would be nice to see some exposed cabling, or bionics; it's something I've seen on a few Cortus conversions and it seems to work well to me and indicates their more haphazard nature.

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

Thanks to the balancing it does look like a tip-toeing up the steps... I'm not unseeing a 'stealthy' Cortus, and now I kinda want to make a sneaky Raven Guard dread. 

Aaanyway, yeah I figured I need some way to really mark them apart as I'm planning to add a few more Dreads to the 65th in time (at least 1 more Contemptor Prime).  Righto, got a liiiittle bit of a preview for the base, and I got a little work done on the Cortus too.  

Aye Pearson, I'm not a massive fan of a few contemptors, and the Iron Warriors one originally looked a little too haphazard to me, but for the purposes of a Cortus is suddenly seemed like a good idea.  

gallery_107230_14721_101051.jpg

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 170 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

I'm not super keen on the pose, but I'm looking forward to your paint scheme on it!

J25oay8.jpg

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

Well, I had a bit of time.  Heh, I still suck at posing contemptors, but it'll do till I get another one. 

+++

Cortus-Contemptor Akrodyne the Lost... and Bishop said the A2's were twitchy
gallery_107230_14721_108106.jpg

The dull snaps of bolt fire echo from the thin concrete walls and bounce down the abandoned alleyway. Long dead shadows flash-burned into the stone stand eternal vigil over the piles of bone and mouldering scraps of cloth littering the narrow passageway. At the mouth of the alleyway a pair of burning ruby eyes peered into the gloom. Slowly, the shrouded giant gestures down the alleyway, an airy and utterly silent motion.

A whirring buzz of power armour was far harder to ignore, and half a score of warriors in verdigris plate slip by in a loping battle stride broke the illusion of silence. Bone and crumbled masonry turn to dust under the armoured tread of the legionnaires in their headlong rush down the cramped passageway. They hurry towards the yawning mouth of the ancillary road just beyond the derelict alleyway loading dock. It spilled onto the roadway, but was overlooked by the leering sockets of the ruined eight story hab-block across the strip. Most of the top half had crumbled back in on itself leaving a jagged line like broken teeth.

Distant thumps from airstrikes meld with the plodding whine of something further up the strip, and the sudden scrape of metal on stone. The momentary glint of adamantine winks from across the strip, there wasn't even the span of a breath to shout a warning. The thunderous roar of heavy mass reactive round blots out the ambient warzone, replacing it with the belch of fire and screaming howl of rounds skipping off rockrete as they ricochet and detonate in the narrow alley.

The lead legionnaire is struck by a veritable wave of shells from the unseen assailant, spattering molten adamantine and flecks of ceramite across the wall. More walked their way up his torso until it bites through the power cables and tears into his guts, dragging him down with a crack that burst the eye of his helm. He's shoved forward by the legionnaire behind him, in the narrow confines of the alley only a single astartes can pass with ease.

“Combat squad Absalom, requesting immediate close-in support!” Corporal Kanthrus snarls into the vox net, the ciphers having been broken well before any battle had begun.

A second astartes, Tanns Loromon, is struck high in the chest and stumbles.

'Copy that, Akrodyne alerted. Stand by.'

Trooper Gnoss drags him to his feet, bracing his own bolter against Loromon's shoulder and blazing at the mostly concealed gun team. Smaller Tigrus bolts trace zig-zag trail up into the stonework, pitting the spongy facade around the window or screeching just wide of the gun. Heavier bolts nearly twice its size thunder down like meteors, fragmenting rounds throwing monochromatic flashes in the gloom.

“Covering fire!”

Vroken's lethargic cringe was almost palpable through the vox net. Bolters already chattered their insane choir as the combat squad falters; half streaming forward to get to grips with the machine-gun nest, the other half halting to fire and retreat back up the mouth of the alley. Shadows flit between the columns, more figures only half-glimpsed.

Rassik pulls the grenade from his harness as a round finds the soft flex-steel of his arm. From elbow down, the limb drops dead to the ground, grenade rolling from dead fingers. A sickly geyser of powdered bone and ceramite splinters throws Rassik, Gnoss, and Loromon into the wall.

The smoke and debris hangs thick in the air, Kanthrus' prey senses still show the heat bloom and estimated outline of their assailant as the heavy bolter continued to spew shots into the cramped confines. A sudden blob seemed to spasmodically weave back and forth behind the wall. With a blink click, Kanthrus crouches and presses himself against the wall as his armour dulls the thump of weapons discharge and scrape of boots. He narrows his eyes in concentration: ah, there it is. The sound is a low but building whine, a keening note and pounding grind of servoes. Automantic reactors could make a hell of a distinctive din. The tremor of a fifteen tonne monsters made it all the worst.

With a blaring roar, the rockrete wall five paces in front of him exploded outwards in torso sized chunks. Green illum lights stream through the gloom as a massive clawed fist pulls even more ruined stonework back through the massive breach.  And for just a moment, the heavy bolter falls silent.

“WHERE ARE THEY!?”

The bellow churns the dust cloud into spiralling tendrils as an enormous upper body smashes into the gouge in the building, letting the skeletal face swing back and forth looking for all the world like a delusional giant. Legionnaires fall back behind the nearly slathering behemoth. Loromon and Gnoss drag Rassik away from the enormous foot that emerges from the rent.

Legionnaires can barely fit, but the enormous bulk of the contemptor can't hope to squeeze through the narrow aperture. It howls as heavy bolter shells ring off its carapace and patter off the eldretch blue energy shields, throwing dancing sparks in the miasma. Akrodyne raises a fist, a thrumming rumble building as the haze shimmers and contorts unnaturally. With a pulling gesture, the dust cloud bursts around the massive form as the front of the massive building sheers away in a shower of bricks and ruined piping.

Any further orders die in the corporal's throat as he watches the manic dreadnought with a growing air of bemusement. He quickly darts into its shadow to avoid the heavy bolter, all the while Akrodyne's claws grip a wall each, pulling its enormous bulk through the narrow alley and raking its way down the passage, leaving enormous bestial furrows as it squeezed its bulk through.

Vroken sighs, sidling up next to the corporal and edges forward behind the machine, “Square peg-”

“Round hole.” Kanthrus finishes. Why Akrodyne hadn't found another way around wasn't his business; staying out of the autotellurian's graviton induction field as the enraged Cortus-Contemptor literally made his own way forward, was.

+++

Extra view:

Spoiler

Edited by Vykes, 11 January 2019 - 07:51 AM.

• DuskRaider, Dreagher and Astartes Consul like this

Stix

Stix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands
You sir, are monster! Such quality with such a pace:) Even though I am not fan of that mini(tbh from contemptors range I like only SoH, RG and EC dreadnoughts)but it looks very impressive! Love base!
  • Vykes likes this

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

Thanks dude, to be honest I'm in the same boat.  I kinda more or less only really like the SoH, EC, and Osirion TS dreads, buuuut I needed something clunky and brutal to sell the "made from parts of a space T-72"  honestly, I'm just not great with putting Contemptors together.  But I'll get more practice soon enough.  

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,331 posts

Solid weathering and textures on the Cortus, I too am impressed with the speed at which you got it painted up! Some nice prose too, I particularly liked the last two lines, once again giving an insight into the personalities and interactions of the members of the 65th.

• Vykes likes this

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts

Vehicles are kind of a joy to paint up, because they always seem like they should take the most time by far, but because they're so big and geometric they come together pretty quick with an airbrush and some ink.  Ah weathering, it's a surprisingly soothing pastime -laughs- opposite of building for me. 

And thanks Pearson, mate.  I'm pretty happy with how that last little bit went.  It was a fair bit of fun to write in between some other little prosy bits of junk I've been doing.  

Well, as a bit of a precursor: I managed to kickstart my 30K gaming thing again and it was a lot of fun.  So, as a bit of a teaser (and hoping I have some half decent pictures)

gallery_107230_14721_438791.jpg

Edited by Vykes, 14 January 2019 - 01:36 PM.

• DuskRaider, Brother Pheidias, Luna707 and 1 other like this

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,331 posts

That's a nice battle-shot, I hope you'll be writing it up in a similar format to the last?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 30K, Horus Heresy, Sons of Horus, WIP

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users