[WIP] Sons of Horus, 65th Company

Vykes

Stormbirds definitely would be the most suitable choice, Vipus and Loken start moaning about their pods and wishing they were back in a bird whilst deploying to Isstvan III.

To add to the anti-armour discussion, I plan on a full ten man squad of machine-killers with two meltaguns, meltabombs and then combis on the others, just so that first turn you can pretty much guarantee a kill and then the gunners get some ablative wounds such that in second turn they can still shoot and assault vehicles effectively, hopefully netting another kill. I've also considered a Terminator command unit with chainfists, as they'll tear through tanks and any infantry that oppose them; I want a Caestus in my force too, but that'd see them enter the fray turn three at the earliest, so I'll probably opt for a pod or artificer command.

Aye Lord Commander Eidelon, sah! Luna Wolves were always that kinda cool force in the back of my mind, and I can absolutely see them being a neat component in other forces. I'm still considering a compliment of Emperor's Children and even World Eaters as a loyalist Istvaan collection. The bright distinct colours really feels like they'd work.

Oh man, I definitely getcha. The lack of a transfer sheet kept me away for a long time, but it also stalled my III legion force for the same reason. So, shapeways really looked like the only answer for sigils. It's not perfect (The FW sheets were so incredibly good) but it works for the time being. Attention is due in detailed details in the EC, you sure aren't wrong. A lot of this wasn't too bad just because so much of it was similar and black and white get shaded with a really similar mix which drastically sped up the process. It is a weird paradox, isn't it? Dirtier miniatures take longer than clean ones.

How are SoH represented in that game anyway? Always curious.

Man, you're right on there Pearson, mate. A Stormbird would be great but man they're pricey and hard to use. But the notion of being able to assemble the whole of this army and whatever expansion i 1-2 is kinda crazy cool. I remember that part too! Drop pods, meant for Angron's mad dogs and Russ's wild dogs. Man... Storm Eagles still sounds good for them and thus it's too close to my other armies. Less I dropped them from the other lists.

I rather like that for anti-armour, Pearson. And aye, I think the 6-10 man squads with combi and a melta or two is a pretty good choice. The Caestus and the Eagles have the same problem, but I find the Eagles have the guns to at least make their appearance have some impact (and as cool as the Caestus is, I'm still massive eagle fan) It's still one of the next things that was on my SoH and Angel's lists, such a useful craft. But yeah, turn 3, great for a late game punch and maybe counter-reserve action, but a lot of the loadouts for the squad on board seems made for needing to eliminate those threats quickly before they take too big a bite out of your force.

Well, in a vaguely related segment, I finished up a little bit of an additional squad for the later 65th Sons of Horus: a few more outriders (with bombs, still gotta fix em on) for roving and taking out armour. Salvaged with the preds from a friend.

gallery_107230_14721_134464.jpg

It's a struggle sometimes getting power armoured forces to remain distinct and not blurring due to favoured tactics and units.

I imagine the Caestus making a devastating impact on arrival, bludgeoning through tanks with it's ram and then immolating survivors with the melta cannon. It's probably just as likely to fluff the first ram attack and be most ineffective on entry... I think I might chuck a tactical squad in it, they're never a priority to get on the table quickly and the ram should be able to drop them on an objective late game.

Hungry Nostraman Lizard, Pearson you guys rock. -laughs- thanks.

Y'know that is definitely an issue, in getting large enough armies, Pearson, blurred themes. It gets frustrating as I found I was doing that with my Blood Angels and Sons of Horus, so I decided to focus a little more heavily on armour for the 16th. But what happens when you get two similar/identical forces? I mean, sensibly they function similarly so that should dictate some of their units: but legions are so big that they can be remarkably different. Oye.

Hah, yeah, Caestus woes for showing up and flubbing the shot is a very legit fear. Hmm, it might 'feel' a little off with a tac squad but I rather like it. Or a bare bones vet tac squad with resolute. Cheap enough, too.

Bit of an update of sorts: I reworked a particular Centurion (now that I have Loken in the wolves)

gallery_107230_14721_12769.jpg

The Caestus is a cool model, very unique looking, if a little overpriced in game. I imagine it looks very imposing on the table, it's a pity that it is no longer in production :( 

The new "not-Loken" looks good, is that the legion champion head? the sword definitely makes him look more threatening than Loken's poor old chainsword!

Shock and awe from bolter boys might be asking a lot, but ... maybe Seekers?  Or something wonky like the makings of a combi-volkite vet charge?  Waaait, Varyn, the Caestus is OOP?  Wow that... really sucks.  I don't think I've actually seen one on the table before.  Kinda depressing. 

And thanks a ton you two, I'm pretty happy with Centurion Notloken.  Nailed it, Varyn, that's the champion head.  It's a pretty rockin' head that I never could figure out who to toss it on.  And yeah, I never wanted to desecrate that model even if it's just a shoddy juddering chainsword.  I seem to recall the Black Books stating that Luna Wolves and Sons of Horus sergeants and above tended to all have gladius blades, while senior officers have longblades and hand-and-a-half power swords.  So, Now that there's a proper discernible Loken, I'm okay with making that blade more mean.  I wish I could find one of those serrated blades from Sons of the Forge to stick on Sir Notloken and maybe make some Despoilers. Wonder if I should practice with a dremmel.

f239c631d844d0866d582ba6b7b96940.jpg

Edited by Vykes

Aaaalright, well, just getting a bit of a list together for a big ol campaign game on Saturday. I think it should be a tough one so I'm totally up for hearing what ya lot have to say. Heh, at worst, I'm hoping to have an interesting battle report come from this.

2,500 pts

Attacker: 65th Sons of Horus

Defender: Iron Hands Armoured Breakthrough force

Special notes: Defender has 1st turn unless Attacker may seize. 2 VP is awarded to the defender for each Attacker unit destroyed. 1 VP is awarded to the attacker for each friendly scoring unit in the enemy deployment zone at the end of each game turn. No primarchs/primarch-level special characters.

gallery_107230_14721_87151.jpg

Rite of War: Long March

HQ:

Praetor: 130

-Paragon Blade, Melta Bombs

-Long March Rite of War

Part of the campaign is making up your own heroes, having them advance by deeds and potentially get themselves blown to pieces. I figured this may well be the Marshal's first real campaign so use him over Kademius (even if I'm tempted to go straight for him or Kaeron "NotLoken"). An Iron Halo will be coming soon, but a paragon blade is at least something, and melta bombs for that shot against a vehicle. Long March's movement bonuses are really the key here as I need scoring units moving up fast.

Elites:

Veteran Tactical Squad (5): 160

-2 combi-melta, 1 meltagun, Melta Bombs, Sergeant (combi-melta), "Machine Killers"

Veteran Tactical Squad (5):160

-2 combi-melta, 1 meltagun, Melta Bombs, Sergeant (combi-melta), "Machine Killers"

Veteran Tactical Squad (5): 160

Alright, well I'd much rather have some dedicated units against an all armoured unit and this is part of it. While I'd like that last combi-meltas, they're already getting pricey. Each of these will be hopping a ride in the Raiders and outflanking together. There's a 2/3 chance to be able to outflank on the near side and show up in the enemy deployment zone, debark the vets to hopefully down a squadron of predators or something like a Sicaran Special and score some quick VP. Turn 3 on, we'll get some potential for melta bomb charges on vehicle squadrons.

Troops:

Tactical Squad (10): 250

-sergeant (power sword, melta bombs)

Rhino transport:

-Dozer blade

Tactical Squad (10): 180

-sergeant (power sword, melta bombs)

Rhino transport:

-Dozer blade

Tactical Squad (20): 180

-Vexilia, Sergeant (Power Fist)

Alright, so the first two tac units are just fast movers, trying to get up and smoke before debarking troopers and acting as screens to hopefully take care of the squishies inside. Beyond that, their sergeants power swords are there mostly because I lack other sergeants... anyway, I could always sub them out for power mauls or... now that I think about it, drop them entirely and using some of my existing vets with chainswords to free up 20 points. Melta bombs are there because otherwise pawing at tank hulls is ridiculous. The large Tac squad is hold up with the Praetor, acting as a unit that should at least be alive for a little while. No other reason than they may be able to overwhelm a damaged predator or two and the Sergeant can take a crack at an enemy Praetor.

Heavy Support:

Land Raider Proteus Squadron (3): 700

-Command Tank, Explorator Augery Web, Twin Heavy Bolters (3), Dozer blades (3)

Predator Strike Squadron (2): 230

-Predator Cannon (2), Las Cannon Sponsons (2)

Spartan Assault Tank: 350

-Flare Shield

Alright, last bit is more or less the keys. The Land Raider Squadron has the scout/outflank from the Command's Explorator Web, and with that they should be able to resonably show up with the vets in a side zone. Beyond that, the command tank's Tank Hunter should handily deal with the first turn side shots at predator or Sicaran sections and have a chance at even cracking something like the flank of any Spartan that shows up. The Predators are just there to force a little bit of fire, partially distractions, partially so we have a nice big tank game. Frankly I could do without them and toss in a Vindicator Destroyer but with what else? Spartan is a command tank, flare shield Psuedo AC-15 should maybe hold a shot or two against a Venator that I expect to show up, and work as a bulldozer towards their deployment zone.

That's really about it.

That's certainly a nice looking force spread out on parade.

In terms of the list/tactics, coming up against an armoured Iron Hands list could be tough, though without Ferrus and Head of the Gorgon, the vehicles aren't all going to be self-repairing at least. I think the Rhinos could get knocked out of action very quickly, which is going to bleed two VP swiftly, larger foot slogging groups could be more survivable, but then won't be getting to the enemy deployment zone too quickly. I like the idea of that big group of outflanking Raiders, though squeezing in some more meltas for the Vets would help increase their impact, perhaps switching one to a more infantry focussed role, such as weapon masters or even switching to Seekers could be an idea. Could be an idea to add extra weapons to the big Tactical blob, in case they do get stuck up in combat, if any points could be found, an Apothecary would also be handy for boosting their survivability.

Sounds like it'll be a fun and picturesque game going up against another tank force.

Looks like a good list, everything has a transport which makes sense and feels thematic. 

It's be nice to free up some points to give the Praetor some more gear, I feel like he needs artificer armour and/or an iron halo. It would also be good to get extra CC weapons on the big tactical squad to make them a bit more punchy and to try and kill more stuff before initiative step 1 to ensure you outnumber the enemy to get your extra attacks.

That's a point regarding the Praetor, he's going to be very vulnerable without an invulnerable save. Of course he can shirk challenges and leave that to the sergeant, but that's not the Sons of Horus way!

He does come with artificer plate as standard though.

Y'know, mates, I had the same thought, too.  Those Rhino's look cool, and conventional wisdom says they're more effective than larger foot squads, but in this instance I'm not so sure.  Losing 4 VP Turn 1 before smoke gets put up or I can at least push them near my opponent's deployment zone with a flat out drag-race... well, that hurts.  We all know how hard it is to core an armour 11 vehicle with upwards of a dozen predators. I've been mulling over toying with the vets a little.  So, here's a quick thought exercise: 

Q: If one keeps Machine Killer, is combi-plasma a good idea vs squadroned medium armour compared to combi-melta?  Combi melta will get the 'explode' result more often but plasma has twice as many shots.  The melta's armour pen advantage shouldn't be as much of an issue against rear/flank armour given positioning advantages of the flanking Raiders*.  

I do think that with the cost savings of the rhino's and group discount rate of combining tac-squads, that frees up room for the extra combi-weapons in the vet squads, and some apothecaries for the infantry, or extra equipment for the praetor and infantry.  But it can also get funneled into something like some Skyslayers, or Vindicator to add another punchy option.

Aaah that Praetor: yeah I feel like he should either go all-in on the offense and get some digi-weapons and hope that if he's up against a Thunderhammer opponent, at I1 his extra 2 attacks (Digi+Merciless) should at least kill him right back.  The Instant Death vs. 4+ invul on a 4 attack opponent has always struck me as a little dicey. 

*Raiders with a command tank give Heavy Bolters effectively St.6 vs. armour, so Heavy Bolter penetrator rounds against medium armour's sides and rear feels a little weird as usually it's usually something to default to machine spirit-ing at infantry.  

Combi-plasma could be a good shout on the Veterans, presuming you'll be facing mostly Predator chassis the reduction in strength won't be much of an issue and the Raiders' lascannons will surely crack anything tougher. Furthermore, if you do encounter any infantry, they can rip them apart.

I really would go for filling out options on the existing troops before adding more units, using three of the available ten slots per unit on the Veterans seems a little wasteful and three shots isn't necessarily going to achieve a kill. I reckon a minimum of five per squad will be good, short of a Raider or super-heavy, each squad will most likely down whatever tank they fire on. Skyslayers are definitely a fun option, but they'll also make an attractive target to all the Predators you'll likely face.

I'd go for the digi-weapons on the Praetor, against Iron Hands you want as many attacks as possible, as you're most likely facing a 3+ invulnerable (cyber familiar boosting a halo/Cataphractii plate).

Hmm, I wonder if the 40K scout marines have the right thick blades and curvature to test out the serrations on, Hungry Nostraman Lizard.  But aye, if I'm to do a despoiler unit or another proper green weaponmaster vet unit, I'm gonna go with the serrated blades (just gotta get to practicing).  For how brutal 30K and 40K is, there does seem to be a lack of those kind o blades, just the barbed ones on the masochistic eldar-kin. 

Aye, I'm right there with ya Pearson.  I mean, it's one thing I hadn't considered, but a psuedo st.8 plasma gun with 2 shots hitting on 2's feels like it outweighs the benefits of one shot weapons in this particular instance.  Aye, I'm very likely going up against a lot of predator chassis and Sicarans, I'd doubt much heavier, but at that weight class, armoured ceramite starts coming into play so it's not much of a difference anyway. Raiders should be there to crack that open potentially, or just focusing on mulching the tank hunters like Venators or potentially Vindicator Destroyers. 

Hmm, aye, I do think that 4 combi-plas and 1 melta gun per vet squad (with melta bombs to ensure Turn 3+ viability and Spartan/Raider cracking potential) is probably worth it for the vets.  Each of them should be able to at least heap some hurt on a predator strike squadron or carve through a Sicaran on their weak side.  Some points saved can definitely go to adding some more fire to the vets, even an extra body, but it can also go to an apothecary on the foot slogging squad (and lucky for me, killing an apothecary doesn't grant VP). 

I'd nearly forgotten the cyber familiar for the 3+ invul on a halo/catii praetor.  Hmmm, yeah, 3 wounds getting through that is gonna be tough enough. 

Edited by Vykes

Best bet for a tooled up Praetor is to isolate and hose it down with gunfire or try and tarpit whilst avoiding a challenge, I guess. Or throw a load of instant death attacks at him.

A thunder hammer is the new tool of choice for my Praetor, with a 3+ invulnerable and attached apothecary giving fnp, he'll ride out higher iniative attacks and then hope for one of his attacks to punch through, slaying whoever he's fighting. Even if he fluffs it, next round will have equal iniative steps.

Aye that definitely sounds exactly like what could be feared.  And sans a lucky strike from a Paragon Blade there's not a lot to worry about at a higher initiative.  I mean, I have a Thunder Hammer Catii praetor in the works right now, just haven't finished him yet.  

Hmmm, you know, I'm kinda wondering if there's a place for a large cheap-ish group of Resolute Close Combat vets to try to bog down and chop up Praetors and the like with 3/4 attacks each for less than 200 points with a Vexillia.  Hmmm, yeees, that might be the next potential thing as soon as I figure out how to make the blades for 'em. 

Such a unit of vets sounds useful to me, also good for scoring an objective and being difficult to shift.

It could be worth checking out some of the fantasy ranges for jagged blades, I'm pretty sure the Dark Elves have some. Dark Eldar Wyches have some great designs, but are just too flimsy and small for Astartes.

That sounds pretty excellent to me, Pearson. I'll have to get on that once I take a look at some alternatives. What about the marine scout blades?

gallery_107230_14721_39463.jpg

It feels like it could work.

Weeeeell, minor-ish update, I had a big enough game today, opponent moved away from the solid preds that were expected and still brought a lot of armour (something like 5 preds, an Arctus, 2 raiders, termies, tooled up cyber-familiar praetor) Aaaaaand my luck remains intact!

gallery_107230_14721_210125.jpg

That is to say, Spartan got snap shot penetrated and detonated on the first shot of the game and my reserves showed up on the wrong flank...

turned into a blood match I think I would have won in 1 more turn via annihilation, but with the objectives, there wasn't a chance. Ended up 15-0.

+++

“...-Azar.” The rasping metallic voice splits the fugue. “Marshal Ahazaar!” He was moving, dragged across the asphalt by unrelenting hands. Spectral figures drift through the smoke choked streets like wraiths around him, though there appears to be no one else. The Praetor's head lolls forward, thick clots of blood pool next to his tongue and fill his nostrils. He tries to spit by reflex, finding his broken teeth and breath escaping through the split in his cheek where the power blade had hacked deep into the bone.

The Marshal's vision is blotted out by a sanguine haze as he's set against a rumbling wall. The dull metallic click of his armour's neck seal sounds indistinct next to the growl of the mechanical beast... no. As the fugue clears, he recognizes the dull green slab skirting of one of Wraitholm's Raiders.

“The advance?” he asks the unseen assistant, his own voice muffled and slurred. The figure slips in front of the commander, Sergeant Kassar Novet, one of his veteran sergeants. He tosses the Marshal's arm over his shoulder and heaves him up into the awaiting grasp of the Land Raider's second gunnery officer.

That the sergeant hadn't answered was enough of an answer in itself.

“Watch your step.” The still smouldering wreckage of the Spartan crackled underfoot, its smoking corpse hidden by the bulk of the intervening Raider. The Marshal's last look at the sky took in only slick oily black folds roiling under one another as ashen plumes drifted to join the sickly pall.

The crack of boltguns sounded sporadically now, chattering flat bursts lighting up the bleary morass blotting out the outskirts of the airbase on the horizon. Brass casings rain down, and the groggy growls of legionnaires rise up over the clamour.

The spearhead had been blunted, the advance towards Port Arthas bled white. But they weren't overrun by the charcoal black of the Iron Tenth, either. Evidently, it settled into a sickly mock-fight, though gore drenched gauntlets and stained cloak said that it had not always been so.

“Marshal, still alive o'r there?” Effrom Rei, the company's insipidly jovial juniour apothecary staggered over, helped by another of Kassar's veterans. Vixus Ahazaar merely coughs and nods, voice momentarily betraying him. “Good. Mistress Sen would probably kill me if you weren't. That Uxor's got a mean streak a kilometre wide.”

A weak upraised hand finally silences the gregarious apothecary who staggers into the red-lit hold of the Proteus. “Sergeant Cythensus?”

“Dead. Thunder hammers tend to do that, so not much to be done there. Dunno, looks like about one score dead, same and a half again wounded or dazed. Mind if I have the floor? Death March is a bit cramped.” Rei stumbled to one knee, groaned a bit with a laugh, and stayed down as he inspected his narthecium.

“Not going to be checking your Marshal over first? Tell me, Rei, am I still pretty in the face?” Ahazaar's choking cough racks his frame.

Rei stops, pointing the shoulder mounted lumin lamp up, “By Lupercal, is that a joke? Maybe I should have a look at you first, make sure they didn't brain you on the rebound.” He shook his head with a laugh as the first casualties came in.

The Marshal returned none of it as he listened to the chatter, keying in the vox cipher for the Judicateor.

+++

Still a fun game, but phone failed, still getting some rules so forgot to take more shots but the game ended with three angry land raiders barreling down the main street towards a predator and Raider.

Crikey, first turn destruction for the Spartan isn't what one expects nor desires!

Those scout blades do look like they might work, some of the old chaos marine and berserker blades are notched and somewhat serrated too.

Really like the list and the theme Vykes - I think it's totally suitable for the Legion, and looks great! Personally, as you've sort of alluded to already, I'd kit the Praetor out further - but hard to carve points from elsewhere. 

I think the difficulty of running just a single Spartan (or similar) is that it naturally draws so much fire because of what it contains. Regrettably, that'll always be the priority - and it's just a shame to lose it first turn (I'd be hoping to crack it second as an opponent, and then throw everything at whatever is left :laugh.:).

Will look forward to more campaign based updates!

Aye, Pearson, it was just one of those days.  Spartan det, first shot, pen, det, fury of the legion on a vet squad with apothecary from point blank range and after 47 wounds, only 1 casualty... not ideal.  Not ideal at all.  I keep looking through blades and I think the Reavers and scouts will probably do.  I know I have a few scouts around here so I just need to find some bodies and legs to make that little decapitation squad. 

Thanks Chaeron, I'm hoping I get to use the list again (it was actually a lot of fun to use.  Against less armour I'd likely be dropping the Flare Spartan for... maybe a pair of vindi, or a third predator and contemptor.  Gotta be something fun!  Aye, I reckoned on it getting hit second turn with something like immobilized (or on other lists, obliterated by a Lightning showing up), or third turn attrition. Didn't expect it to get nuked and be the high water mark for my whole assault before I even moved.  I just couldn't get out of my deployment zone despite killing whatever I came across (including backstabbing a leviathan, I feel proud of that). Though that doesn't mean I'm not considering that second Spartan sometime down the road.  For fun!  Now I gotta kit out another praetor as Ahazaar was wounded and earned his scar and place as a logistics officer and diplomat.  Now... to go Catii-plate and Thunder Hammer or artificer and another paragon blade. 

Aye Marshal Rohr, I'm usually a fan of chainswords but I figure they won't stand out like that.  I'm a big fan of the notched swords for a group of scummy assassins meant to show up, isolate, then wear down an opponent through attrition.  Just gotta find the look (and I think the Sons of the Forge kinda nails it, personally.)  So while I wish the scout blades were a little longer, not Kbar tipped, and thinner, it's tough to find enough sternguard sabers to modify... Maybe a unit with charnebal sabers (they can't take them but the blades are just scimitars/shamshir)? 

• 2 weeks later...