Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BA & The Big FAQ 2!

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,894 posts

Discuss...

https://whc-cdn.game...ig_faq_2_en.pdf

The main changes that affect us are:

• No reserves can arrived first turn
  • Upon Wings of Fire Stratagem changed to 2CP (was 1)

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,714 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
I like that the beta rules have been streamlined, but I rue the lack of alpha strike in Matched Play.

UWoF hurts other Jump units more than Captain Smash (this is a typically reactive change, like the Commissars change was - at least GW are consistent I suppose...)

A cover save if we go second is nice.
  • Morticon and Black Orange like this

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpgETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifETL_Medal_05.gifgallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:3
1250 Death Company List (jump)  W:0 D:0 L:1
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Dreadnought List W:0 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:1 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Two Towers List W:4 D:0 L:1
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:0 D:0 L:0

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,572 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

Don't forget about FLY only working in the movement phase now. So no cheeky vertical distance ignoring charges anymore and no jumping over models and terrain for charges anymore either.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,894 posts

Don't forget about FLY only working in the movement phase now. So no cheeky vertical distance ignoring charges anymore and no jumping over models and terrain for charges anymore either.

That was always ambiguous at best, so makes sense to be clarified.

• Riot Earp and Carcosa like this

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,689 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later

They replaced one stupid heavy handed solution with a different one. What is so difficult about calculating the distance between the starting and end point for units with fly and calculating the path along surfaces for the rest? That way fly units could circumvent obstacles without shortening the distance.

Edited by Quixus, 11 October 2018 - 10:54 AM.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,572 posts

It's not clarified. It's changed. That's part of the Errata, not the FAQ. And while the 0" charges from terrain might have been a bit ambiguous (regardless of whether I agree it was or not) it doesn't justify removing their ability to jump over models and terrain in the charge phase.

EDIT: typo

Edited by sfPanzer, 11 October 2018 - 11:23 AM.

• Quixus, Kallas and Majkhel like this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,894 posts

It's not clarified. It's changed. That's part of the Errata, not the FAQ. And while the 0" charges from terrain might have been a bit amiguous (regardless of whether I agree it was or not) it doesn't justify removing their ability to jump over models and terrain in the charge phase.

Clarified by a change ;)

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,040 posts
  • Faction: Carmine Blades
Several of us have been talking about rhino rush being a thing again.

Have 4 rhinos 9-10 strong full of DC and VVs followed by a nice blob of JP DC combined with Forlorn Fury.

Here's a preliminary list I've been toying with.
Spoiler

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten, 11 October 2018 - 12:01 PM.

• Brother Lemartes likes this

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpg

lash144

lash144

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 261 posts
  • Faction: AdMech / Blood Angels

The second part is imo the real kicker. I think everyone expected a change regarding measuring the charge distance, but not beeing able to charge over screens is a real kick in the butt ^^

So basically we need lots of dakka before our captains and stuff can get to work at the enemies juicy targets.

Any suggestions?
  • aquamarine and sfPanzer like this

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,040 posts

The second part is imo the real kicker. I think everyone expected a change regarding measuring the charge distance, but not beeing able to charge over screens is a real kick in the butt ^^

So basically we need lots of dakka before our captains and stuff can get to work at the enemies juicy targets.

Any suggestions?
Rhino rush is a strong possibility as well as Razorbacks and MSU assault.

FLY is simply going back to previous editions so you just have to accommodate for that.

If you wanting to play pure astartes/BA then I highly recommend keeping some JPs but moving to alternative usage of CP.

In my above list I dont take captain smash, my theory is built around weight of dice, and corbulo increasing those chances to hit with additional 6+s taking DC & VVs with chainswords offers more base line attacks while benefitting RT and the Red Grail. Of course we could drop the storm shields for power swords, or move points around. Like I said, it's a preliminary list.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten, 11 October 2018 - 12:11 PM.

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpg

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,572 posts

I'll go with Inceptors to clear screens just as before. Then again I don't have THAT many options as Primaris player ... and don't have any melee units with FLY anyway. :P

• Silas7 likes this

Disclaimer:

Dolchiate Remembrancer

Dolchiate Remembrancer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,410 posts
  • Faction: CSoV, TSons

A cover save if we go second is nice.

Except when facing "ignores cover" ;)

woe is me!!!

aquamarine

aquamarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 355 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

Looking towards moving away more from an assault army to a more balanced / shooty army with some heavy hitters to go in when screens and chaff are cleared and decent charges can be set up. Was kinda moving in this direction already.

More of an Omega strike than an Alpha strike.

• Spyros likes this
If sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, then is a sufficiently advanced human indistinguishable from a god?

Spagunk

Spagunk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,718 posts

Sorry to be a negative noodle but I've already moved away completely from assault. There aren't enough shooting strats to win out vs. a lot of armies out there. CSM running alpha legion trait is pretty hard as well as anything eldar related.

Things are just not in the right place for marines in general with BA being harder as all our strats are assault based.

Edited by Spagunk, 11 October 2018 - 09:51 PM.

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Artisan.jpgsml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_40907_9492_4019.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifgallery_40907_9492_16201.jpgETL_2018_Medal_06_Dominus_Exercitus.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifgallery_62972_10568_7658.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpg

lash144

lash144

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 261 posts

Sorry to be a negative noodle but I've already moved away completely from assault. There aren't enough shooting strats to win out vs. a lot of armies out there. CSM running alpha legion trait is pretty hard as well as anything eldar related.

Things are just not in the right place for marines in general with BA being harder as all our strats are assault based.

There are some rumors that the generic -1 to hit trait for Alpha Legion, Stygies and Co. is being changed to a cover save with the upcoming CA. But take this with a grain of salt.

Regarding post FAQ BA: Has anyone considered running kind of a Deathball army or something like that? Read an article from Nick Nanavati and he is right that we have great character support: FnP Banner, Corbulo, Captains etc.. So maybe we could brainstorm some ideas for that?

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,572 posts

There are some rumors that the generic -1 to hit trait for Alpha Legion, Stygies and Co. is being changed to a cover save with the upcoming CA. But take this with a grain of salt.

Unlikely. That change would've been included in the BIG FAQ/Errata the same way they changed their infiltration Stratagem into a scout Stratagem.

Disclaimer:

BluejayJunior

BluejayJunior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 276 posts

Unlikely. That change would've been included in the BIG FAQ/Errata the same way they changed their infiltration Stratagem into a scout Stratagem.

Not if it's going to be part of a larger reworking of the SM and CSM traits and stratagems. 

ETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_02.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_Medal_01.gifgallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,572 posts

Not if it's going to be part of a larger reworking of the SM and CSM traits and stratagems. 

In that case there would have been no point in putting the infiltration Stratagem change into the BIG FAQ.

Disclaimer:

The4thHorseman

The4thHorseman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 783 posts
Been toying with the idea of 5 Man Plasma Company Vets w/JP and Smash Hammer Bike Capt. FF the Bike Capt. And UWoF the Plasma Company Vets so they can be in Rapid Fire range to Blast a Hole big enough for Bike Capt to get in. Then on T2 Hammer Capt w/JP and another 5 man Plasma Company Vets Squad come in together.

Hopefully that should be a nice 1-2 punch.

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done

ETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.png

lash144

lash144

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 261 posts
To be fair: Considering the most logical approach isn't always the best bet with gw :P

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,689 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later

In that case there would have been no point in putting the infiltration Stratagem change into the BIG FAQ.

Due to the new prohibition to deep strike the stratagem had to change immediately or they would have to say that it does not work anymore/still works.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,572 posts

Due to the new prohibition to deep strike the stratagem had to change immediately or they would have to say that it does not work anymore/still works.

The Stratagems never said anything about the unit getting placed in reserves tho so they didn't have to change it necessarily.

Disclaimer:

brother_b

brother_b

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 783 posts

Core rules should never change because of tournament players and tournament results. It's up to tournament organizers to set down rules that need to be addressed per tournament.

I'll leave it at that, I understand others feel differently. That's fine.

• Gumo9 likes this

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpgsml_gallery_101149_13675_4249.jpg

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,572 posts

I don't think I agree. When tournament player make aware of a big problem within the core rules then it should get changed. However GW often changes core rules when it's actually an army specific problem that needs to get fixed and THAT is the wrong approach.

• Quixus and Karhedronuk like this

Disclaimer:

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,040 posts
I will say army wide -1 to hit on an entire Eldar Army is really too strong. As of now Ork's cant even shoot some of them. I suspect we will see some tweaking/changes.

As far as how I feel about the change to fly it just goes back to needing a well rounded army.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users