Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BA & The Big FAQ 2!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

keeblerartillery

keeblerartillery

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 173 posts
Morticon - he is all over the forum (including this thread!)
  • lash144 likes this

gallery_62972_14467_3723.jpg

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,567 posts

He's Jolemai's boss ;)

BluejayJunior

BluejayJunior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 247 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

FLY as a rule has been treated so heavily handed, it doesn't make sense narratively, let alone crunch-ily.

My only thought is that GW saw the whole Tri-locking thing and figured it was an unintended trick that was maybe a bit too complex? A "gotcha" moment that the opponent can't do anything about?

I don't agree but it's the kind of thinking they sometimes have on these matters.

Wanted to raise two points.

1. On its face FAQ2 nerfed BA pretty hard. However on reflection deep strike and infiltrate have been nerfed so hard that BA now reign supreme in turn one assault power. UWOF and Forlorn Fury can deliver two reliable hard hitting punches turn 1. Not that many other armies can do that. Plus opponents are less likely to run scouts or other deep strike denial now that deep strike is confined to turn 2 and later. So there will be less zoning defence against a BA turn 1 assault.

2. In the tournament meta a lot of players were running a BA battalion along with Guard. Usually two slam caps and 15 scouts. Pre FAQ2 it was mandatory to take the CP miner guard warlord. Now that CP farm has been nerfed so hard, I have had success running one of the BA smash captains as warlord. This means I can choose between artisan of war and gift of foresight game by game, and for a total of 3 CP i get two death visions. Angels wing and hammer of baal. It used to be 5CP for two death visions and angels wing + Veritas Vitae. The 4D hammer is so brutal against so many things and now that the Grand Strategist warlord is obsolete the BA warlords may see much more play.

From what I have heard on podcasts, it likely came from the idea of dropping a unit 10" above an enemy in terrain and then charging for a 1" charge because you didn't count vertical distance when charging. The lead rules designer was at NOVA and saw it happen during one of the streamed games on the first day of the Invitational. I think the TOs even added a rule after the first day so that you couldn't put models on the top levels of their ruins to stop it from happening. But I gather that insignificant charge distance wasn't intended by GW.

They are still probably better ways that the issue could have been fixed, though. Like still having to measure the distance base-to-base for charges with FLY. 

ETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_02.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_Medal_01.gifgallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

lash144

lash144

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 245 posts
  • Faction: AdMech / Blood Angels
Regarding post FAQ tactics: Has anyone tried to stagger their DC? I.e. first a wave with B&C to clear the chaff, followed by a small squad with hammers?

Spagunk

Spagunk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,698 posts

Regarding post FAQ tactics: Has anyone tried to stagger their DC? I.e. first a wave with B&C to clear the chaff, followed by a small squad with hammers?

Haven't done this post FAQ 2 but pre-FAQ 2 it doesn't work since they can just target the unit behind the chaff clearer. I don't imagine that being different after the FAQ but we'll have to wait till more people get some table time.

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Artisan.jpgsml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_40907_9492_4019.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifgallery_40907_9492_16201.jpgETL_2018_Medal_06_Dominus_Exercitus.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifgallery_62972_10568_7658.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpg

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 449 posts
What do people think about UWoFing Inceptors and unleashing hell with them to clear screens. I'd have to check my codex to see how viable they are points wise, but six Inceptors can deal a lot of dakka.
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,567 posts

What do people think about UWoFing Inceptors and unleashing hell with them to clear screens. I'd have to check my codex to see how viable they are points wise, but six Inceptors can deal a lot of dakka.

With a 12" move and 18" range they probably don't need to UWOF to get in range!

Otherwise, it's probably a bit too pricey in terms of CP to kill some chaff.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,104 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

With a 12" move and 18" range they probably don't need to UWOF to get in range!

Otherwise, it's probably a bit too pricey in terms of CP to kill some chaff.

10" move, but yeah they should easily get in range of screens on their own. ^^

• Karhedronuk likes this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,179 posts

He's Jolemai's boss msn-wink.gif

Colleague***** 

I did yes - I had two games last weekend and won both. Granted, they weren't against the most competitive lists (death guard and tau/SM combo) but I didn't find anything to be game breaking. Frankly, I used some old advice of Morts and didn't try and T1 charge but rather held back (except for a cpt slam charge on Mortarian). I used multi-charges to my advantage, a solid firebase to backup my sang guard and vanvets, and scout bikes and inceptors to clear chaff.

Glad to here this!
Who is this Morts you are talking about and where can I find his advice? (Still quite new to BA)

i'm not posting the battle reports as regularly as I have in the past, but keep an eye on the "Games in China" threads that will pop up.  

I've only had one game since the FAQ drop, and it was a casual one. Got a rematch vs a Chaos player this weekend, will let you know how it goes.  

But, most of the advice in the "Road to..." threads as well as the "First game in china" thread may be useful to someone starting out. 

• lash144 likes this
Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

lash144

lash144

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 245 posts
  • Faction: AdMech / Blood Angels
Thanks brother!
Coming from AdMech as my main force it's really challenging for me to play BA ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users