Elysian plasma vanguard detacment

Shamansky

After i invented the way to build an OK-looking bolter for Elysian scale, i realised that i can finally use my pile of plasmapistol bits, get a very powerful bunch of guys on table, build my plasmaguys in more than one pose and keep my both kidneys. Win-win(-win)!

Elsian DIY plasmagun

So. I assembled 3 special weapon squads with plasmaguns, gave them a warlord CC with Old grudges and the awesomeness began. 
These guys make opponent nervous. Even If the enemy has crashed into my lines already, he doesn't feel safe from the rare. The sword of Damocles is hanging some where there in the sky. Fancy-pants marines think twice before charging. Absolutely devastating force in 1000-1500 games for a reasonable price. If more, just add a Punisher-Vulture. And the free re-roll of morale test near the Elysian officer is just the cherry on top of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Your thread got me thinking about Elysian heavy weapon teams. For about 300 points you can get 9 missile launchers airdropped turn 2 or 3 with a company commander and a platoon commander. They have enough range that it would take very clever positioning to deny them a target. They would couldn't be shot until after they dropped so they would get at least one full turn of shooting.

They count as moving since they dropped, but you can give them the order "move and fire" to treat all their weapons as assault weapons for the firing phase.

For less than 400 points you could do it with four heavy weapon teams and 2 company commanders.

I'm not sure on the math if "move and fire" would be mathematically better than "take aim" for re-rolling 1s. Someone smarter than me would have to figure that out.

I don't think the math is too hard. Rerolling 1s means that every d6 you roll you hit 2 of 6 times. But then on the chance of a 1 you have another 1/3 chance of rolling a hit. So if I'm not mistaken it's

1/6=.167

.167*1/3=.056

.056+1/3=.389

Compare that to Move and Fire which just means you hit .5 and it doesn't look like much of a contest.

Still I might have done my math wrong.

I've made Elysian Battalion support elements, since a full element is 4 troops and 2 company commanders for 280 points which is pretty cheap for 5+ CP and great for late game grabbing, but I never considered dropping heavy weapons teams. You can only drop 3 because of the Datasheet rule.  So at 295 you've got one hell of a surprise strike. not sure how useful they'd be, but 2 GLs and 9 Missiles could be a big bang.

Archived