DBH and Tau Thingy

Dont-Be-Haten

Hey lads,

Just came into

35 fire warriors, 3 stealth suits, 10 path finders, 6 crisis suits, 1 commander, Around 30 drones assorted, 2 broadsides, A ghostkeel, A riptide, A storm surge, 1 devilfish, a piranha as well as 1 box of old fire warriors and 1 box of old crisis suits still in wrapper never opened.

I just picked up an Ethereal as a cheap HQ. I think I want a second commander in order to field 2 battalions.

So a few questions.

Is the Tau Sept the only real viable chapter tactic?

What are some pieces I should add to fill out the army?

I'm going to paint them Vior'la.

Stand by for some WIP shots inc.

T'au, Vior'la and Sa'cea are the best Septs I'd say.

Bork'an is okay as well I guess but not nearly as strong as the top 3 imo.

FSE is nice if you want to drop some Crisis (due the Stratagem) but otherwise meh.

Dal'yth is the most meh overall I guess. It gives some nice alpha strike protection but with the new beta Stratagem that's something everyone can do for 2CP for units in your deployment zone so all that Dal'yth gives now is cover for units outside of your deployment zone and for units that don't move from turn 2+ on.

For a cheap HQ I recommend a Cadre Fireblade. It gives you a BS2+ Markerlight with character protection and it buffs your Firewarrior a lot at half range (50% more damage output and that's without the Markerlight bonus).

To fill out your army ... well lets see. You have a very very solid basis there. You can go basically in any direction you want so it's completely up to your personal taste. If you go with T'au Sept then getting some Hammerheads for Longstrike&Friends would be a great idea tho. If you go with Sa'cea then you should think about how to maximise the free re-roll per unit (so MSU with at least one good weapon or Markerlight in each unit).

Breacher would be a great addition as well especially if you decide to go with Vior'la. You already have a Devilfish so that's already covered at least.

If you paint them as Vior'la (keep in mind it's the red Sept markings that makes them Vior'la, not the white armour!) then it's probably best if you go with Vior'la Sept rules as well so it's not too confusing for opponents and so you have a viable army for tournaments with colour scheme restrictions. In casual beer&pretzel games you could change the Sept you're using any time obviously.

So

WYSIWYG game today against a friend who plays Ultra Marines. Decided for my new army to bring the following. Note something's are magnetized some things aren't. I'm in the process of sorting through the bits bin to find more fusion blasters for the commander in the future. Is that too many marker drones?

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [78 PL, 1497pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

T'au Empire Sept Choice: T'au Sept

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [3 PL, 52pts]: 2. Through Unity, Devastation, Markerlight, MV4 Shield Drone, Puretide engram neurochip, Warlord

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [8 PL, 147pts]: Advanced targeting system, Fusion blaster, Missile pod

+ Troops +

Strike Team [4 PL, 85pts]: 10x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

. DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ SMS: Smart missile system

Strike Team [2 PL, 35pts]: 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [2 PL, 35pts]: 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV104 Riptide Battlesuit [14 PL, 280pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system, Heavy burst cannon, Target lock

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [15 PL, 335pts]: 6x MV7 Marker Drone

. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Missile pod

. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Missile pod

. Crisis Shas'vre: Drone controller, 2x Missile pod

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [4 PL, 48pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone

. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight

Pathfinder Team [4 PL, 48pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone

. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [16 PL, 320pts]: 2x MV8 Missile Drone

. Broadside Shas'ui: 2x Smart missile system, Heavy rail rifle, Seeker missile

. Broadside Shas'vre: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system, Drone controller, Seeker missile

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish [6 PL, 112pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon

++ Total: [78 PL, 1497pts] ++

First game with Tau in the books. First thoughts ever playing the army.

Holy smokes at the shooting in a secured overhead position.

Played against a great chap! He brought ultramarines headed by the lord commander himself combined with a vanguard detachment with hell blasters, a venerable dreadnought, a very strong Leviathan dread, with a quad las pred. As well as Assault TDA and a TDA chaplain.

The Leviathan dread was a right tough bastard! Tanking 87 shots in two rounds of shooting!

The Lord commander is amazing as he should be. We drew Eternal War: The Scouring. It was actually a ver close game. My Coldstar did not manage to kill the las-pred twice! I was forced to assault it in order to tie it up so it couldn't kill my Riptide. However; the damn pred killed the commander in overwatch on the second go for double 6s and then an additional 6 after I shrugged off one shot.

It was a hell of a game. Tau did take victory 5 - 1.

Archived