Carmine Blades WIP

Thanks all!

Bjorn - I really don’t have a fluff reason for the marble, it is more just that I wanted to combine the Greco/Roman influences of their ultramarine background (Carmine Blades thought they were ultra successors until recently) and the renaissance influence of the blood angels. Which has led me to put a lot of marble on my guys!

Dosjetka - thanks! And fair. All of the marble has SOME yellow in it, but obviously the process I used didn’t achieve uniform results. A couple came out a little too yellow. I like when I can get just a hint to come through, like real marble does when it oxidizes, but it did get a little heavy on a couple. I’ll try to be more careful!

The marbling effect is really nice, you've definitely refined it for great results.

But, it just doesn't work in mass application imo. The only time I've seen it in the art is for ceremonial, parade purposes. For battlefield use, imo a white would be better (like on the raptor) except on high command or like dreadnought/ raider ornamentation. Again execution is great on the marble

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Thanks for that step by step on your red, Keebler. It's going to come in handy!

The marbling is very nice. I wish I could replicate it to your standard. As far as mass application is concerned, I agree it may not necessarily mesh with existing lore or practicality, but this is a science fiction game in which creativity is actually encouraged by the manufacturer. More importantly, its an artistic endeavor and its your army, so I say paint them in a manner that gives you the most satisfaction. 

Keep em' coming!

It is common in our art history to paint marble on other surfaces than stone (wood mostly). One reason is that its cheaper, but the other is that people just evidently like marble. Following this reasoning I see no reason for WH40K warriors not to paint their armour as if it was marble just because they like it.

And a good quality fake marble effect is not so easy to achieve. Incidentally :P

Alright, another mini-update! I got to play this weekend...which prompted me to get in gear on my sang guard/van vets. The dudes are primed, but their shields are well on their way! After consultation with a good buddy on color saturation, I realized that my usual marble would get washed out against the gold. So I decided on black marble. Let me know what you think!

gallery_70131_10318_245060.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Your models are well-assembled, posed, and painted; but I consider a Space Marine incomplete when his pauldrons lack a Chapter symbol and a Type identifier (skull for HQ, blast symbol for Heavy Support, upward arrow for Tactical, etc.). Is the marble surface I see on the Sanguinary Guards' pauldrons, meant to substitute for them, i.e., visually declare, "It should be obvious who we are! We're the elites of the Carmine Blades, the best of the best of the best of the best! Suck it, noobs!"?

Haha pretty much! That and none of their pauldrons have a flat surface. For my other marbled guys, I have thrown on a chapter symbol, but these guys don’t have a place to do it. Which is also why I decided on something different - black marble - to signify my first company. I’m also doing my two captains like this - 1st company captain in golden armor and black marble. 3rd company captain in red armor and white marble

• 2 weeks later...