Arming World Eater Terminators

BrainFireBob

Are you going twin lighting claws or wanting to go lightning claw and a twinlinked Bolter/Combi weapon?

Generally, terminators aren't good. Yes, even with +1 wound, they aren't great. They are best used to drop and fire combiweapons (usually overcharged plasma) and die if their guns don't kill them.

That said, if you buddy is Senõr Fluffy or asked for terminators (geez I'm sounding like jeske here) go with twin claws because it looks cooler, and go screw the odds roll the dice on it, kill guys dead.

I wish we could go with dual power weapons (and get +1 attack) because I had the bitz to make red butchers (30k world eater Terminators with dual power axes or chainfists) but we can't...so yeah. I'd been trying to sell the cataphractii terminators for a while.

What else does your friend have already? It may help to try to fit a gap in his or her force. On their own, terminators are not the most optimized choice but like a lot of things, their effectiveness depends on the supporting units.

I do play Worldeaters and I've had a mixed experience with terminators. I think they're a fun option from the background standpoint, but they're pretty hit or miss in terms of effectiveness. Terminators value was also hurt by the FAQ limiting deepstrike to turn 2+. Worldeaters don't have a great alpha strike option and pre-FAQ at least they offered a turn one threat. Lastly, in a pure Worldeaters list, terminators don't benefit from many strategems or any psychic powers compared to other legions - they're less durable than Nurgle or Slaanesh and far less shooty than Slaanesh regardless of load-out.

I'm not sure I'd load up for assault except for fluff reasons; Berzerkers fill this role really well and it's not that easy to get Terminators to assault if you're running a pure Worldeaters list (no psychics to improve positioning). Best case, they reach assault turn 2 via deep strike but it's not guaranteed they'll get there.

One role they can fill with the basic load out (combi-bolter and chain axe) is clearing chaff/screening units that block the Berzerkers from getting to high value targets or cap objectives. Candidly, though, bikes can do something similar for less points while offering greater maneuverability after initial deployment/deep strike.

They also can provide some punch with combi-plasma, although this takes a Lord deepstriking in support to be reliable. This set up can threaten tough backline units via deep strike but it pales in comparison to what a comparable unit with Mark of Slaanesh could do.

Neither of the heavy weapons are particularly good in my opinion. The reaper is not as strong as a standard autocannon due to lower AP, although it does offer decent range and decent strength. The heavy flamer is too short ranged to get much use - without psychic powers, it can't get in range the turn the unit comes on from deep strike.

Hope that helps - all that analysis aside, they're cool models and I'm sure your friend will appreciate the gift.

As someone who hasn't played much 8th at all but is still incredibly used to t2 deepstriking (Thankyou heresy :p) combi plasma is the firearm of choice, being able to drop within rapid fire range, so 10 shots of lovely overcharged wonder (5 man squad as example) into something is the right kind of angry for world eaters. Then axes because Khorne, maybe a couple of chainfists assuming survival and -4 ap is nothing to shirk at

Archived