the "Angel Queen" Project

Jarl Caldersson

My gaming group is on "break", So I lost motivation for painting my DG/SW's. However my 5 year old daughter has been asking my to paint the "Angel Queen and her fighters ", commonly known to your lot as Saint Celestine and her Geminae Superiors. Saint Celestine, is a complete 180 from my typical dirty armies of SW's and DG. Her features are very delicate features and a extremely clean and shiny armor. So I spent 2 weeks prepping for this build, and looking up various paints to get the best I could find. 

My end goal is to get as close to a professional level as possible. This project had forced me to completely redo my painting setup, organize it, get proper lighting, etc. It now looks like a miniature painting shop. I plan on taking my time with this one. I spent about as long assembling this model as I do with a squad of 5 marines. St. Celestine is absolutely tiny and has such delicate features.

St. Celestine & Geminae Superiors

(All armor is Metal Color unless stated otherwise http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/a9bab9eb9f21021ef00d5efcaf826229/CC069-Rev01-baja.pdf)

Armor: 

Gold parts: Base Vallejo Liquid Gold Old God, Highlight Liquid Gold Rich Gold (should I shade it? Reikland Flesh? Purple?)

Joints:  Base Magnesium, Highlight Dark Aluminium

Sword/Halo/Tubing: Base Steel, Sword Edge highlight Duralinium

Exhaust: Base Dark Aluminium, Highlight Duralinium (thought about using Exhaust Manifold and highlight with Druralinium)

Wings:

Gold Parts: See Gold Armor parts.

Build up to a brilliant white, where each wing overlaps paint a small light grey mark to show shadows.

Robes:

Still working this out

Face:

following a paint tutorial here 

Eye will be white with blue glaze around them.

Roses&Doves

White with blue(doves) pink(roses) shades.

As always any tips or help is much appreciated.

Update showing the Queen and my new painting setup. I plan on painting all these seperatily, though worried about seam lines between the parts. Still waitng on paints, and unsure how to shade the liquid gold. Seems like not much info on liquid gold.

(also seen here)

http://imgur.com/TkpMxZc

Edit: There is also a Primaris legs there to show how tiny she is. Between her petite body and the new Primaris you can tell GW is going more true scale.

I love that Celestine model, so much detail, character, great work out of GW.  You're right, though: tiny :).  I use something like this while painting (especially tiny models)

https://www.amazon.com/Brightech-LightView-Magnifier-Clamp-Gooseneck/dp/B01FC2DMIM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1539601609&sr=8-10&keywords=magnifying+lamp

I can't recommend it highly enough, it works wonders for me!

Dang. I didnt realise how tiny she was till you put her beside those primaris legs. She is such a dainty little killer.

Did you end up having to use tweezers to assemble her? I wish i did. Stupid sasauge fingers.

Great model and looking forward to seeing the progress ;)

Seconding the above mentioned magnifying lamps. Best investment ever.

Dang. I didnt realise how tiny she was till you put her beside those primaris legs. She is such a dainty little killer.

Did you end up having to use tweezers to assemble her? I wish i did. Stupid sasauge fingers.

Great model and looking forward to seeing the progress :wink:

Seconding the above mentioned magnifying lamps. Best investment ever.

Daughter actually helped a bit, little model requires little fingers. See that upside down base, I put glue in there then used a toothpick to move a tiny amount of glue to the model to put it together....

The primaris leg is about as round as her chest is. I am going to assume St. Celestine is a rather fit girl, so isn't 90 lbs. So I can absolutely see Superhuman fear syndrome being a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Paints finally arrived so finished the face tonight. I am having a heck of a time trying to take a photo of something so small and still get the color detail and not come out grainy.

I swear that the paint isn't that blotchy and there is highlight on the forehead/nose/chin with shadows under the cheeks. Finally her lips are a darker color flesh tone.

Edit: woke up this morning to try and take a better picture. I think putting her head on the body made it easier for the camera to focus.

I wouldn't worry, you've painted one part of a model - you won't get a good idea for how it feels until you get the more complete picture :) I'd recommend painting the hair or getting some work done on the body, the face looks good to me and you can dwell on something too much :tu: This makes me want to paint one of my Celestines :D

Archived