Dark Shroud less valuable/nexessary now?

STTAB

With the prepared positions strat when going second, does the darkshroud have less value?

As a flying castle I'm running Sammy, taloaster, 3 RW bikes and 2 Dark Talons with Darkshroud. The darktalons get -2 to be hit in range of the darkshroud... Except they don't, as the darkshroud always gets targeted first.

Really the darkshroud forces the opponent to shoot the darkshroud first as getting a large enough piece of LOS blocking terrain when going second is rare.

I used the going second strat last week. Works pretty well giving the darkshroud and dark talons a 2+ save. Took a lot to wipe the darkshroud.

Also, the darkshroud forces you to bunch up in deployment. I have bad luck with explosions. Last game I went second, darkshroud blew up and I rerolled a 6 to a 6. No one seems to remember things like orbital bombardment but I think it would be CP well spent against a tight buff bubble like mine.

In the 2 dark talon + darkshroud flying castle build, are you better off dropping the darkshroud and squeezing in a 3rd dark talon for the extra 62 points? You can then deploy the flyers last and out of range of anti vehichle threats. If you go second they have a -1 to hit and 2+ save, if you go first you have a lot more damage output that can link up with Sammy and talonmaster. Ravenwing has definitely gotten stronger with access to ignore cover from the talonmaster.

Thoughts?

Prepared positions only helps for the first turn, and helps vs burst--but keep in mind some things ignore cover (such as those lovely Castellan Robots). Darkshroud costs 138 points, but it also makes every opposing shooting unit overcosted because of the hit penalty. It's also strong against overcharged plasma--which is a huge threat to our hellblasters. 

But ask yourself this, what are you going to get in exchange for losing a psuedo army wide -1 to hit? Few things even twice that points cost will return as much value.

Most of unique DA rules are "get tough" rules,

4++ from azrael, 4++ from ravenwing, -1 from DarkShroud, -1 to hit relic, untargetable character vehicle, anything deathwing and now Prepared position.

Playing Deathguard, I know that every time you pile in more "get though" rule you get exponential return, in that sense, darkshroud is a must. 

Played against a Knight heavy army the other day and its really worth the points, also so was Ezekiel and my banner bearer.

The -1 stops various weapons gaining extra shots on a 6 in this case it was a relic Gatling cannon.

Except Endless Fury (the relic avenger) does not generate extra hits on 6+ but unmodified 6's, so the shroud makes no difference here.

Most of unique DA rules are "get tough" rules,

4++ from azrael, 4++ from ravenwing, -1 from DarkShroud, -1 to hit relic, untargetable character vehicle, anything deathwing and now Prepared position.

Playing Deathguard, I know that every time you pile in more "get though" rule you get exponential return, in that sense, darkshroud is a must. 

what is this Prepared Position you speak of?

Guest MistaGav

It's a new stratagem in the big FAQ released recently. For 2cp and if you go second everything apart from titanic units gain the benefit of cover even if they are not in cover.

There is also rumour that the -1 will be changed to benefit of cover too in the next CA and if that happens a DS bubble will be pretty hardy.

Archived