Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IW 1750 - Returning to 40k from 30k

iron warriors 1750 knight heretric astartes legion 4th listbuilding army list chaos

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

RadiumRags

RadiumRags

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Hey all,

it's been a few years since I last played 40k. A few people around me started again and I'm tying to figure out how to transition my 30k IW to 40k.

It's not supposed to be competitve, but at least I'd like my list to be oriented to being effective. I have the follwing units and started building a list with what I can put on the table within the 40k premise:

Battallion Detachment:

HQ

Daemon Prince

MoK - 2x Malefic talon

Flames of Spite

Fleshmetal Exo.

Soccerer in Terminator Armour

Elite

2x5/1x10 Terminators with dual Lightning claw

Troops

3x10 Marines /w 2x Plasma

Champions have Power fists

Heavy Support

1x5 Havoncs /w 4 Autocannons

This comes down to 1358 Points.

I thought about just throwing in a Renegade "Gallant" (I love the style, so this would be my go to setup) with a Storm Spear Rocket Pod, since I'm lacking serios anti tank power for this to be effective, which, with minor readjustment of eqipment in the list above would land me around 1740 to 1750 Points and would look rather cool if I give it the hazard stripe treatment. (I have an unbuilt knight laying around from an impuls buy half a year back, so would not even have to purchase additional stuff (call me a cheapo, but 30k is my main focus, so I'm looking to not dump 100s of euros into additions to this force)).

Question now is: Would this make sense or should I possibly dump a few bucks into this list and get like 3 Preds and/or some obliberators to go anti Vehicle?

All kinds of suggestions/ C&C is welcome, since I feel like a total newbie after missing out in 30k for a rather long time.

Cheers!

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 928 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus 65th company

First of all -ahem- as Lord Abbadon says 'thrice-accursed Traitor!' tongue.png But seriously, it'll be an interesting challenge to transition in that direction. I'm transitioning from 40K to 30K compliant and I'm finding some similar parallel issues, but lets see what I can do.

Battallion Detachment:

HQ:

Daemon Prince

MoK - 2x Malefic talon

Flames of Spite

Fleshmetal Exo.

The Battalion detachment is still kind of one of those premier detachments because of the command points, but it'll be interesting. The sorcerer is tougher as a terminator, just a little pricey from what I've seen. A few of the go-to teleport mobility options got taken away but with that many terminators it'll still be something at least unique (despite people's poor opinion of Terminators).

Elite:

2x5/1x10 Terminators with dual Lightning claw

The Sorcerer comment carries over to terminators. You might have some semi-decent luck with dual lightning claw termies when marked with khorne and given a 'banner' so they can a little more reliably get off the teleport charge as you don't have a reliable transport like a Raider, Spartan, or Storm Eagle to get them to-target.

Troops

3x10 Marines /w 2x Plasma

Champions have Power fists

3X10 troopers, with 2 plasma is... probably fine.  You're gonna hear 'go cultists' but meh, I've been pushing 2X20 and 10 cultists for a while and it ain't bad at all.  The lack of transport mobility will hurt on objective missions and foot slogging (again) as it's not hard to chew up foot legionnaires, and Iron Warriors don't have any tricks like the Black legion advance moves or Alpha legion's to-hit penalty.  If you fight in the ruins and try to drag your opponent in like that, it can work for you pretty well.

Heavy Support

1x5 Havoncs /w 4 Autocannons

It's not bad, autocannons I'd say are a little under-rated but they're nice for putting down medium infantry and they will carve up those heavy infantry and bikes, and with 4 you'll start threatening some light vehicles (speeders, boxy dreadnoughts and the like).

This comes down to 1358 Points.

I thought about just throwing in a Renegade "Gallant" (I love the style, so this would be my go to setup) with a Storm Spear Rocket Pod, since I'm lacking serios anti tank power for this to be effective, ...

Gallants are... a thing, I guess, I tend to see a metric ton of Wardens around here as the avenger cannon is mean. I'd say that the knight is a good support option that will bring things up to part, but there's two little 'classes' I'd look into: mobility warfare, and anti-tank. Rhino's are expensive but still workable as they are great utility piece. Preds are... okay, Oblits aren't really for anti-tank these days because of the way their guns work. Preds can still be a thing with las cannons for anti-tank, I've been using havocs and chosen with melta guns for knock out punches.  So Preds/Sicarans/Vindi laser destroyers are good for nailing opposing armour.

You're iron warriors, so you might want to work with the older shooting options to play to your strengths. With the new stratagem coming out that gives cover turn 1 for player 2, you can totally avoid that. Make sure you get practicing with them (including daemon shells, it's a great way for characters to put out mortal wounds to finish off opponents, so warp bolters on princes and even bolt pistols on HQ's are worth it).  For really forcing cover issues, Autocannons are a good start, plasma is nice and reliable, don't be afraid to add something like plasma pistols to sergeants, too. the long range anti-cover benefit is where Iron Warriors can be a bit of a surprise.  

Edited by Vykes, 14 October 2018 - 08:40 PM.

ckYid5u.jpg

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,286 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

I second everything Vykes said and add in that you're lacking anti-tank so that's probably what you should go for next. Anything in transports or actual tanks will give your list a hard time as is right now. So basically I'm just seconding what he said in his part about the Gallant I guess, but I only skimmed over that part before re-reading it. :P

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

RadiumRags

RadiumRags

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Thanks for the Feedback so far, it's highly appreciated biggrin.png

I tried to imcorporate it and made up this:

Battalion Detachment:

HQ:

Winged DP

Warpbolter

MoK - 2x Malefic Talon

Flames of Spite

Fleshmetal Exo

Force Sword 

Dark Apostle

Stock + Plasma Pistol

Elite:

Chose Squad

4x Plasma gun

(going to ride in the Rhino)

2x5 dual LC Terminators

MoK - Icon of Wrath

(can be played as 10 also)

Troops:

4x10 Cultists - Autoguns

/w 1 Flamer in each squad

Heavy Support:

5 Havocs 

4x Autocannon

Dedicated Transport:

Chaos Rhino

Super Heavy Auxiallary Detachment:

Renegade Knight

Sword and Fist ("Gallant style")

Stormspear Rocket Pod

Total:

1750 Points (which satisfies my nummeric OCD more than the Dark Gods ever could)

Alternatively I can throw out 20 cultists and the Apostle and use a 10 Man Marine squad with 2 Plasma guns.

I'm still incorporating the "cheapo move" of not buying a lot of stuff, but I will get over the 40 cultists to have it playable in 40k.

The Idea behind the Changes:

The "Gallant" should be able to smack some vehicle in the face and there are still Havocs and Chosen with not optimal, but lets say better than nothing anti vehicle power. I included a Rhino for the Chosen to be mobile. The Cultists can spray and pray (to the Dark Gods teehee.gif ) at enemy infantry and have a flamer to give at least a little bit of overwatch, when sitting on an objective. The Dark Apostle to boost morale in the Cultists. Terminators now have MoK + IoW for rerollable charges and can be supported by the Soccerer. The DP is now winged, but still has the meatgrinder setup. 

I think this could not be competitive, but rather viable to play, what do you guys say?

C&C welcome as allways.

Edited by RadiumRags, 15 October 2018 - 10:55 AM.

Sgt. Blank

Sgt. Blank

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 597 posts
I would give the Daemon Prince any other Mark than Khorne, personally. A psychic power (particularly Warp Time or Death Hex) will help him more than +1 attack. I run Worldeaters and often miss these powers. I nearly lost the last game I played due to rough luck with maelstrom cards and my opponent making six straight invulnerable saves.

gallery_29004_12090_2245.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_4603.pngqVQuHsg.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iron warriors, 1750, knight, heretric, astartes, legion, 4th, listbuilding, army list, chaos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users