The Adventures of Strike Team Octavian

Seahawk

Hey guys, I started up a new Kill Team campaign a couple weeks ago, so I figured I'd write up some fun narrative battle reports to keep my brothers entertained. I'll try to include pictures when I remember to take pictures...haha!

Here is my Command Roster:

[19] Sergeant Octavian (Intercessor Sergeant) - Stalker Bolt Rifle, Power Sword [Leader, Level 2]

[18] Sergeant Gaius (Intercessor Sergeant) - Auto-Bolt Rifle, Power Sword [Leader, Level 1]

[15] Sergeant Flavion (Tactical Sergeant) - Plasma Pistol, Auspex [Comms, Level 1]

[17] Brother Ixion (Tactical Gunner) - Heavy Bolter [sniper, Level 2]

[20] Sergeant Marius (Reiver Sergeant) - Grapnel, Grav-chute, Combat Knife [Combat, Level 2]

[16] Brother Remus (Tactical Gunner) - Flamer [Demolitions, Level 1]

[17] Brother Daius (Tactical Gunner) - Flamer 

[16] Brother Cassus (Tactical Gunner) - Heavy Bolter

[16] Brother Apollon (Intercessor Gunner) - Auxiliary Grenade Launcher

[18] Brother Maneus (Reiver) - Grapnel, Grav-chute, Combat Knife

[17] Scout Lucius (Scout Gunner) - Missile Launcher, Camo-cloak

[14] Scout Varius (Scout Gunner) - Heavy Bolter

Week 1: vs Imperial Guard

My Kill Team: 

Sergeant Octavian, Sergeant Flavion, Sergeant Marius, Brother Ixion, Brother Daius, Brother Apollon

Sergeant Octavian of the Ultramarines considered his options. Ahead of him was a critical intersection with too much open ground, and there were reports of traitors in the area. With a 'hmph', he deployed Brother Ixion with his heavy bolter and Brother Apollon on the upper floor of a ruin to provide overwatch for the squad, while his other brothers took to the street. They had put down traps in the ruins on the far side, then laid in wait.

Noticing movement by the ruins, Brother Daius moved forward with his flamer, muttering a curse as he noticed several grenade-traps in the dark building he had entered. He deftly avoided the trip wires and took up position by a hole in the wall.

As expected, the enemy mortal soldiers clumsily stumbled into the Ultramarines' traps and they detonated spectacularly, throwing bodies in all directions. Still, more a few survived, and disparate las-fire spacked off the Astartes's armor and their cover. The howling roar of a plasma gun cast a searing blast onto Brother Daius, his shoulder plate taking the brunt of it and melting away in the incandescent heat. He stumbled from the serious wound but didn't fall. Hefting his flamer one-handed, he squeezed the trigger, pouring a jet of fire in the direction of the shooter. The resulting screams were satisfying.

Elsewhere, Brother Ixion spotted soldiers maneuvering and offering up some poorly aimed lasgun shots. Taking aim, he centered the targeting reticle on a group that looked like it included their leader. The staccato report of the heavy bolter filled the air with noise and destruction. One armored solder was torn apart, but he was between Ixion and the enemy leader, spoiling his aim. Brother Apollon spotted another nearby enemy and thumped a frag grenade at him, taking him out in a storm of shrapnel.

In the streets, Brother Sergeant Marius pounded along the rockcrete, unleashing a ferocious battle cry as he charged in among the enemy. Brandishing his knife, he cut and stabbed at the mortals before him. One fell to the knife, and he kicked another in the face. The remaining soldiers fell back, unable to respond in the face of such a terrifying enemy.

As soon as they had arrived, the enemy squad retreated and melted back into the shadows of the ruined city. The intersection was firmly in the hands of the Ultramarines as they regrouped. Soldiery of the Cadian 335th moved up to take the Ultramarines' former positions.

"Rally to me, brothers!" called out Sergeant Octavian. "Orders received, we move out!"

Week 2 vs Imperial Guard (the other one in the campaign)

My Kill Team:

Sergeant Octavian, Sergeant Marius, Brother Marneus, Brother Ixion, Brother Daius, Brother Remus

Sergeant Octavian's strike team had been sent to defend against another attack by the traitorous PDF forces, who sought to take advantage of the gap in the Cadian lines. His team was the only one who could respond in time, and they rushed to the gap.

Ahead, Sergeant Octavian saw a Relictorium, once full of relics priceless to the local populace, though now it was in ruins, with nearly all the crystal cases smashed. His auspex pinged multiple returns on the other side, so he deployed his men in standard breaching formations, using the doors as cover until it was too late.

Sergeant Marius and his fraternal brother Maneus launched themselves up to the roof with their grapnels, securing the high ground immediately and revealing the enemy. On the right side, multiple heavy weapons occupied a ruined hab, while on the left, a shouting man with a large silver hand led a few men through the cover of some more ruins.

Brother Remus planted a foot on the door and kicked it in, rushing around a large container crate, setting the traitor lurking behind it on fire. Brother Daius on the left instead shoulder charged through, feet pounding in the dirt. His impetuous charge left him exposed though, as he was suddenly beset upon by the silver-handed man. They dueled, but neither man nor marine could land a telling blow on each other. Brother Daius fell back, only to take two hot-shot las rounds to the chest.

Brother Remus spotted the weapon troopers up on the low roof of the hab block and calmly let loose a torrent of fire, enveloping both of them in flames. On the lower level, Brother Maneus leaned in the window to take a shot, but was met with the whine of a plasma pistol. It discharged, taking him out of action. His brother, Sergeant Marius, despite heavily wounded himself, let out a cry of rage seeing his brother struck down, and boldly charged the enemy leader by himself. He struck a few telling hits, and the man dropped.

He turned to look back and saw his brother stir, lifting his spirits. Marius turned to finish off the enemy but found he had disappeared. In fact, the field had gone silent, and no enemy were present. Brushing himself off, he regrouped with the rest of the strike team, glad to see Maneus back on his feet. "Thought you would take an unscheduled rest break, eh?"

20181010-193434.jpg

Sure! My memory is a little fuzzy, but if I have it right:

- Week 1 had a grenade launcher, a plasma gun, some lasgun guardsmen, a few scions, and I think the sergeant had a bolt pistol and power sword. Total 12 dudes.

- Week 2 had one each of plasma gun, meltagun, and hot-shot las, plus two flamers, a couple plasma pistols, and a power fist. Total 10 dudes.

Ishagu, the DM has said we'll only use core book missions for the first month, and then evaluate Commanders to see if those missions are worth adding in. I don't know what I'd use, but honestly I just don't like the expansion as I don't think such high-ranking dudes belong in this setting...but then there are stories of course that say the opposite, so who knows haha.

That's a bummer, because it's great for story telling (as you can see), and breathes more character into each dude. It also helps people like me who don't have much time to play to still get my 40k fix.

Archived