Poxwalkers * 17 - 102 pts

Plaguebearers * 30 /w icon - 225 pts

Elites:

Helbrute /w twin lascannons and missile launcher

Fast attack:

Foetid bloat drone /w plaguespitters

Death guard Lord of War auxiliary detachment:

Lord of war:
​Mortarion, the rotten angel, the child of death, daemon primarch of nurgle - 470 pts

Chaos daemons battalion:

HQs:

Rotigus the rainfather - 380 pts

(Spoilpox scrivener - to be summoned - 75 pts)

Epidemius - 100pts

Daemon prince of Nurgle /w relic sword - 146 pts

Troops:

Nurglings * 3 - 54 pts

Nurglings * 3 - 54 pts

Nurglings * 3 - 54 pts

Fast attack:
​3 * plague drones

Chaos daemons fortification network:

Fortifications:

Tree - 50 pts

Comments and criticism? I'm part of a 3 man team with world eaters and eldar against blood angels, AdMech and Necrons. I'm expecting to meet against like 3 knights

You have the wrong points for Rotigus and the tree, Rotigus is 330, while the tree is 85 now.

The tree got a point increase in the May (or whenever it was) FAQ.

One thing I would do is take wings on the DP and run him up the board with the plague drones and foetid bloat drone.

Also only having one hell brute and one bloat drone makes them big targets early game, might wanna swap one out for a duplicate? I would suggest another bloat drone and then have both accompany your DP as well.

And although Rotigus is an awesome looking model, he is quite expensive for what he does.

What is your game plan with the list?

You have the wrong points for Rotigus and the tree, Rotigus is 330, while the tree is 85 now.

The tree got a point increase in the May (or whenever it was) FAQ.

One thing I would do is take wings on the DP and run him up the board with the plague drones and foetid bloat drone.

Also only having one hell brute and one bloat drone makes them big targets early game, might wanna swap one out for a duplicate? I would suggest another bloat drone and then have both accompany your DP as well.

And although Rotigus is an awesome looking model, he is quite expensive for what he does.

What is your game plan with the list?

Partly based on these recommendations and partly due to self-inititative I've made the following changes:

+ wings on the daemon prince

+ sloppity bilepiper

+ tallyman

+ foetid bloat drone

- 3 * plague drones

- helbrute

- tree

The reason I'm keeping rotigus is (in my opinion) he could really help against the imperial knights and he can manifest some psychic powers which can help Mortarion be even more of a beast.

My game plan is to get my CSM friend to cast warp time on mortarion, run him at the (castellan) knight with as many psychic powers as he can hold buffing him up and probably otk it. If Mortarion survives this (which is highly unlikely) he can run around digging through the enemy team, if he dies, he's repaid his points anyway.

In the meantime, while my opponents were distracted by mortarion, my main body (poxwalkers, plaguebearers, tallyman, typhus etc) will be advancing towards the enemy with the plaguebearers at -3 to hit (due to them being death guard AND chaos daemons, both of the disciplines can affect them) and any other buffs that I can put on them. (The opponents have very few psykers whereas our team has a lot, so not expecting any of these to be denied). There may also be a sort-of vanguard of bloat drones and maybe daemon prince.

Turn 2 or 3 rotigus deepstrikes (preferably near the plaguebearers as he can buff them pretty hard) and attempts to charge anyone who is around at the time, which may or may not include 1 or 2 other knights (hopefully my eldar friend should have dealt with them).

As a whole, plan's probably not great, but as I am completely new to chaos daemons I don't know any better ideas, would really appreciate them though!

Also, have they FAQ'ed the daemons stratagem which allows you to improve invuln saves by 1 to a maximum of 3+ and changed it to 4+? I'm getting mixed answers from people

Yes the warp surge strat was nerfed to a max of 4++, to stop tzeentch shenanigans of getting a pseudo 2++ on characters.

Nurgle is very good at board control, being tough to kill and having units like nurglings really helps with this. Use this to your advantage! I would suggest the spoilpox scrivener still, he makes plaguebearers so much better and faster. The bilepiper is IMO a little odd, his buff affects nurglings, but they will be deployed up the board away from him, so they don’t benefit right away, and Rotigus will be in DS. Unless you want him there for his morale buff then go for it! IMO the spoilpox scrivener is better, but if you have a game plan go for it!!

Use your big blobs to deny area and take

Objectives while your team mates can blast away enemies until you can smash into their lines,

Also keep us updated with how the battle

Goes! Sounds like it will be fun!

I love Mortarion and have used him in strong competitive events. I would really try to get his bodyguard in there, especially with the bloody Shield Breaker Missile Strategem which you are sure to see on him from a Castellan or Vanguard.

Otherwise I like the advice you have so far, and I would worry a bit about the damage output of your list. It is looking a bit like more of a party pooper type of list rather than a world beater.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it is a different playstyle. I like Foetid Bloat drones with flamers for sure, and the re-roll posion aura. The cheap Nurgle HQ aura helps them as well (and can heal them of course).

I've used that in tournaments and it's done well for me. People always focus the heck out of Mortarion (as you are aware no doubt) but I find running him without Magnus is super hard. He can be slower, and far less survivable without his "smash brother". (I don't use the two together... the fluff bunny in me won't allow it!)

Make sure you let us know how it goes. I like the angle you have there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Game went pretty well. We lost, but we lost honorably. Mortarion (as intended) kamikazed one of the three knights and killed some Lychguard, my plaguebearers were constantly moving all game and irritating my opponent while soaking up firepower with their -2 to hit 5+ 5+. My Nurglings were hilariously durable and one of them tarpitted a max-size Necron warrior squad for the entire game (there were no objectives so they were kind of bad). Overall not a bad list but the damage output really sucks except for the one turn where my plague bearers got damage 6 each (thanks to psychic powers, banners and locus of Nurgle) but otherwise damage and killing stuff in general was pretty hard to achieve

Archived