Fast friends for flying castle

STTAB

Everyone I've played in 8th has been Dark Angels and Blood Angels (and a Culexus).

I currently run a flying castle with Sammy, talonmaster, darkshroud and 2 Dark talons. I've dropped the ravenwing bikes that use SotR to screen the front gap between the flyers on T1.

I've been looking at allies that will synergise with a Ravenwing flying castle. I'm trying out something new on Wednesday. I'd be interested if you guys use allies to back up a Ravenwing buff bubble.

So the flyer bubble moves as far as the darkshroud can advance, 13"-18". If the Darkshroud dies it is free to move as fast as Sammy/talonmaster, 16" so you need stuff that can keep up.

I'll be using a Blood Angels battalion with Mephiston, smash captain and 3*5 close combat scouts and a basic rhino. Mephiston can move 7" then move 12" in the psychic phase to stick with his DA mates and provide 2 denies and heroic intervention. BA have a strat to advance vehichles a flat 6. The rhino can move 18" T1, pop smoke and screen the Ravenwing charachters. If it is destroyed, you have a 10 man scout screen if it is not then you have 10 scouts who can be in combat T2 (and Mephiston can cast unleash rage for +1 attack on 1 unit). If they don't want choppy scouts in their lines T2 then they will have to dedicate anti-tank to the rhino, which isn't going into the Darkshroud or flyers.

The other thing I've been thinking of is allying with Space Wolves. If your flying castle is charged, space wolves characters can heroically intervene 6" and use the armour of Russ to make one unit within 1" fight last. The attacking unit would then get smashed by the SW character, Sammy and Talonmaster. Also taking SW allows you to make 2 mini monsters with the Lion and Wolf Strat.

Can you think of other allied dudes that will synergise with a Ravenwing blob?

Have you considered running Ravenwing Landspeeders Squadrons with your Flying Castle?

With the points remaining in a 2000 pt list, you could bring between 7 and 13 speeders depending upon how you arm them.

If you run them in squads of 3-5, they will have a 20" move, which will easily keep up with your other units.

Plus with them running as units, you will just need to get 1 per unit near Sableclaw or Talonmaster to gain the rerolls to hit/wound and ignore cover.

It might even be possible to get one from each squadron close enough to the Darkshroud to get that bonus on the squads as well.

The land speeders are cool but they seem like they are way too many points for what they are. Hopefully we'll see an adjustment in chapter approved.

Custodes Bikers is a good shout.

Grey Knights might have some play. Interceptors can teleport shunt and one unit can use gate of infinity to teleport. Expensive screen but could be a good alpha.

Archived