Sharing some news!

General Strike

So, I'm fairly certain this is the right sub forum for this, but last night my girlfriend and I went to see one of our favorite bands, and I proposed during my favorite song. So, I just wanted to share with my B&C buddies, I'M ENGAGED! 

Now, just have to learn how to hide the expenses of my hobby....

Outstanding, congratulations.  I am curious, who was the band, which was the song please?

I share this in the spirit of being helpful.  You might already have this system, but my friend is married and has the same issue.  We hide minis in plain sight with her.

A few of us close 30k/40k friends play at his place.  So we leave stuff there, intentionally or accidentally, like we are contributing terrain or forget to pack up a mini.

When he really wants to buy and split something that he can't tell his wife about, such as a big ticket item like Adeptus Titanicus, we split it 50/50, pay for it normally.  But then he heads home first empty-handed.  Then I bring the stuff over to his place and pretend I made an impulse purchase.  I take my half of the stuff, and ask if I may leave his half at his place so I don't have to transport them back and forth...but it's really his stuff, it's just an elaborate hoax that fits into our normal modus operandi.  Basically, I'm laundering miniatures for him, keeping it "off the books" in front of his wife.

The trick is not to be too loud about this in front of the wife, like trying to catch her attention to do this.  We just get naturally excited because new toys; a wife can sense her husband getting excited about anything that's not her like a 6th sense.  She'll come over and inquire, and at that point we barely have to act, we're talking about the game (I was legitimately so engrossed by the leather-bound Titanicus rulebook at that point it was no longer an act); when she feels like she has to ask, and we're not just performing a lie in front of her, it makes it believable.  Then we talk about the terrain and, as my friend is also a really good airbrush painter, he just asks if I want him to speed paint the terrain and leave it at his place, as per normal.  I say "yes, that'd be really cool of you," and he takes the terrain AND his half of the Titan miniatures among them into his man cave in 1 carry.  If anything happens, I take responsibility like I got my friend into this game (even though it was his idea), thus drawing wife aggro away from him.

TL;DR - I don't know what you call a Wingman after you're engaged, but it turns out they're still really useful even after the fact.

So, I'm fairly certain this is the right sub forum for this, but last night my girlfriend and I went to see one of our favorite bands, and I proposed during my favorite song. So, I just wanted to share with my B&C buddies, I'M ENGAGED! 

congrats!

I am now imagining your avatar is a heavy metal kitty

Congratulations!

I have to say though, I don't think hiding the expense is the way to go. Just budget for the hobby. Lying about it is a risk to your relationship and ultimately the hobby isn't worth endangering that. My wife and I just included 40k in our monthly budget and limited her non-essentials to the same amount. Reigned in our spending and kept us both happy.

Yeah, I was mostly kidding. I've been upfront with her about the cost of the hobby during our dating, and plan to once we are married. And I have no problem reducing my spending on toys for important stuff, like home, vacation, bills, and the wedding I will most likely pay for. Hopefully I can get a space marine to officiate.

Congratulations!!! I’ve been married 6 years myself, and I can honesty say it was one of the best decisions of my life.

But be warned: if you two are planning on having little ones in the future, there goes 90% of your hobbying time for at least the first 3-4 years!

But be warned: if you two are planning on having little ones in the future, there goes 90% of your hobbying time for at least the first 3-4 years!

Spoken truth.

I've actually gotten a lot done since in the four years since my son was born. You just need to learn about time management and planning. No more of the, "just sit at the bench and stare at a pile of stuff until something comes to mind... oh look a butterfly! WHEEEEEEEE". 

AND 

Congrats!

Awww, congrats! :biggrin.:

As for expenses, I'd suggest budgeting together. Perhaps she'll be a player two? :wink:

Congrats I wish you a long and loving future, not many getting married nowadays.

Best thing to do is discuss, if you can't do this now then you've got a Big problem to sort out. A lot of people tell you to hide it but Marriage works when you don't have to worry about forgetting the lies :D

Talking and budgeting together allows you to give and take, let her have some stuff extra then save those points for all the Titanicus!!!

Been Married over 8 years now and when you find the one that you can just live with and raise a family its better than anything. NOW when the kids come then you can start to bunker down in a hole with your models to stop them breaking them. Both my Girls Be-line for my new models when they see them and are a little too interested in them for 2 and 4 years of age. Maybe I shouldn't of read them the Horus Heresy when they were babies...

Yeah, I have a honesty policy anyway, and her hobby(mugs and vintage clothes) are as costly as mine(star wars toys and 40k) but we can work it out. I've been pushing the small wedding big honeymoon thing to her, she has the majority of our guests, but I make the money in the relationship so I'm paying hahaha.

Archived