Dealing with ork hordes.

mertbl

Razorbacks with Assault Canons are the best option of these days across the board for Marines.

I’m glad someone said it so that I didn’t have to!

Also, whoever said that missile launchers are overpriced misspelled “overpowered”. XD

The utility of having multiple firing modes and the fact that AP isn’t a “go-no go” stat makes ML’s dope. Put down the calculators and play the game to see what I mean

That would be me actually.

And I have used them, and regretted it every time.

So...

My anecdote vs your anecdote mean nothing, but the math backs mine up.

Taking a crappy lascannon for the purpose of getting d6 bolter shots instead sometimes is just an awful tradeoff.

Missile Launcher are far from overpowered lol

I too think they're overpriced. The only time I thought a Missile Launcher is not overpriced was when I used the Blastmaster on my Noise Marines which is basically a cheaper and better Missile Launcher.

Also I don't think AssBacks are THE unit to take against Ork hordes. That's 114 p to kill ~5 Orks a turn. They will simply overrun your AssBacks and if they don't kill it you still won't be able to shoot anymore due lack of FLY.

• For about 2.5 times the points you could take the Repulsor with dakka loadout and kill more than twice as many Orks a turn (so about the same points per killed Ork ratio) but would have the benefit of FLY in case it gets charged and not destroyed.
  • Also Bolter Inceptors kill for about 20p more than an AssBack ~8 Orks and also have the FLY keyword (on top of being more mobile and access to deep strike).
  • If we go with Bolter Aggressors then 3 models cost about the same as an AssBack as well and will let you kill ~8 per round with regular shooting or ~16 when you can double tap. Plus they have some melee punch in case they get charged by pesky bikes or buggies and such.
  • The Stormraven costs a bit more than the Repulsor with its dakka loadout and won't kill as much but it flies so it's immune against any charges from non-FLY units to begin with and the opponent gets -1 to-hit when shooting at it.
  • The Stormtalon Gunship costs ~60p more than an AssBack but kills about 50% more Orks while flying around or 100% more Orks while hovering which lets it still have all the advantages of FLY.

Among the examples I've listed I'd say the Stormtalon Gunship is the most comparable. You pay ~20p more to kill 50-100 percent more Orks, get FLY, get the whole flyer bundle of rules (harder to-hit, immune to most melee units, huge movement) and only loses one point of toughness in comparison (T7 to T6).

EDIT: did a derp; fixed a derp.

Also I don't think AssBacks are THE unit to take against Ork hordes. That's ~140p to kill ~5 Orks a turn.

AssBacks are 114pts (116 w/ Storm Bolter), not 140.

For their cost they kill well and they can soak a good amount of damage. They're one of the few cost effective Marine units.

Also I don't think AssBacks are THE unit to take against Ork hordes. That's ~140p to kill ~5 Orks a turn.

AssBacks are 114pts (116 w/ Storm Bolter), not 140.

For their cost they kill well and they can soak a good amount of damage. They're one of the few cost effective Marine units.

Ah you're right. Not sure how I got to 140. Well it changes little as far as my post goes. Just have to adjust some numbers. :P

(in response to the title itself) Ya don't! because we are marines and we don't do well against anything except ourselves!

Ok, quick jab out of the way.

Various units could be deployed but it depends on how you build your army. You going in, getting aggressive or you holding fast or maybe even going for some tactical flex?

On the go in, you could go expensive but certainly effective with assault centurions. Double Flamer + Hurricane Boltguns will most certainly see an ork squad evaporated and due to weight of fire tend to be good against a lot of targets with their siege drills being able to do some serious hurt. Main issue: Getting them there. Hence why only for go-in style because then you must have some means of delivering and really, the only options are land raiders and storm ravens. They aren't terri-bad but certainly you could go better.

Another option, while not so explosive is going with the tried and true bolter blitz. A bunch of boys in -insert your colour of choice- getting to work with boltguns or even hopping out a transport to lay down some emperor's justice. Certainly standard but is generally a gameplan you can make use of any day.

Hanging back versions would be heavy boltgun devastators, thunderfire cannons or as mentioned AssBacks. Thunderfires have the added benefit of tremor shells and can output reasonable damage however they were hurt bad by the loss of templates imo (my thunderfire was clearing 20 ork boys a turn whenever it got the chance!), Heavy boltgun Devastators just point in a direction and do what they can to remove the issue and are fairly flexible at it due to being infantry and lastly AssBacks are pretty good as well as they are like basic predators but good as they even have room for 6 hapless bodies to cart to an objective if the razorback still lives.

Some other options are the double storm boltgun rhinos for your more mechanised lists. For 2 pts, you can strap those to any tank you have and those will help chip away from hordes. Remember, we have split fire on EVERYTHING now like tomato sauce on chips! (french fries or whatever you call them) so don't be afraid to splash some every help around the army. While having something for hordes is good, sometimes having the little extra here and there is what makes the difference.

Missile Launchers are fine for what they are.

What they are not : versatile all purpose weapon, vehicle killers, infantry killers.

What they are : Good options for Tactical Squads designed to operate on the flanks of the map, in a list of Tactical spam (50 Marines per 1000 points) with interlocking fields of fire.

Such a list's gameplay is purely relying on the Objective Secured mechanic and target confusion, as well as basically every meatgrind strategy.

The 48'' aren't for hitting deep, they're for hitting wide.

It's not about killing more, it's about spreading threat over several units and keep pumping fire throughout 6 turns rather than looking for a decisive action.

Not the most glorious playstyle but it can work for some people.

I use to use 3 missile launchers in my two devestator6 squads. minimum las plas in my two tac5 squads and two rhino tac10 plas to support 2 assault squads redundancy was a thing even back in third edition :) if it weren’t for primaris grabbing me id do it all over (but with vets maybe. Quality of quantity in an elite army can be beautiful. )

Has any one tried company Vererans with combi-flamers?  I just saw they could all take them or special weapons, Not sure if I would like 10 flamers more than 10 Combi-flamers or not. 
If they are salamanders ....it gets very killy.  The hard part will be keeping them alive long enough to purge with fire. 

If the Ork player goes with Blood Axes he can easily charge out of 8" so you couldn't use them for overwatch and even if you could ... 10 flamer won't do much against 20+ boys. That'd be about 14 dead orks only and then your expensive combi-flamer unit is bound in melee and the Ork player simply charges it with yet another huge unit which you can't shoot Overwatch against. Or charge with some cheap vehicle first.

Archived