T̶w̶o̶ Three legios and a knight household

Fajita Fan

Hi Fajita Fan.

I realised I probably don't comment here as much as I should. You have some cool stuff here and I want to encourage you.

I saw from another post that you seem to be a little frustrated by a lack of progress, comparing yourself to others.

If you want to compare yourself to anyone, compare yourself to me. I've got to a fifth page in my plog and I haven't finished a single Titan. I'm not even close. I haven't built anywhere near as many Engines as you, I haven't converted any knights and I certainly haven't done any CAD stuff to improve the game for myself and others.

Life gets in the way of our hobby. Work gets in the way of our hobby. Lack of sleep gets in the way of our hobby, but it's just that. A hobby. A way of relaxing and doing something we enjoy. If it's not doing that for you at the minute, consider taking a step back.

Not strictly B&C friendly, but this year I was hopping to attend a LotR tournament in September, which mandated 3 colour minimum. I was planning to bring a horde army (Goblin Town) where every single model was unique. It was a great hobby project, which I enjoyed for a while. Given that there are twenty Goblin sculpts and I was bring maybe 70, I had my work cut out for me. To get ready for the event, I set myself very strict goals. I needed to paint maybe 10-15 models a week for say six weeks straight.

The anxiety it was causing me started to affect other areas of my life and it was stopping me from doing other hobby goals if I wanted to. I actually felt guilty when I was painting Kill Team models because they weren't Goblins.

Eventually I took the (wise) decision to scrap the tournament and mothball the army. It's a hobby. If we're not enjoying ourselves, what's the point? That's not to say deadlines are necessarily a bad thing, but if they're negatively affecting your mental health, it's time to remember that they're just toy soldiers.

I do hope that this is just a momentary lull and you'll feel better about your project soon. If not, maybe think about taking a step back and shelving the project if it's causing more stress than enjoyment?

As a final piece of advice, one thing I'm trying with my plog is to document any hobby progress at least once a week. It doesn't have to be glamorous. Many of my posts are "here's a base with some sand stuck to it." It's not earth shattering stuff, but that's ok. You see these super human hobbiests, who can churn out the new Warlord in about five minutes and it looks amazing, but I'm not like that, and I'm sure a lot of people here aren't either. I hope that my "baby steps" approach will inspire more people to post their small hobby steps and generally help us all to stay faithful to updating our plugs and not let them die as I have been guilty of so often in the past.

This has turned into a bit of an essay, but I hope it's helpful to someone.

Dallo.

P.S. I like your Lancer conversion idea. Do you have any fluff basis for your conversions or is it just a rule of cool thing?

Oh I've just been playing Destiny all day.  I've got a lot going on these days and my hobby time is just sorta...sitting.

My conversions are mostly just for fun, I'm one of those people with a MASSIVE amount of bits so I kinda just do things because I can.  Off the top of my head I have:

Full Lizardmen army with lots of big dinos assembled and primed

Full Black Orc army assembled 

Full Night goblin army with savage orcs and boar riders primed and partially painted

Full Stormcast army (double intro box plus a bunch of random units I bought) assembled

Full Khorne army (double intro box plus some stuff like dragon ogres) assembled

An 8th edition Chaos Knights/Chariot army unassembled (chariots were core so I did a whole cavalry army with Move 6 or better)

A really good chunk of Orks with lots of conversions that I spent time on and eventually chucked the army in the garbage because Orks weren't good and I realized I'd never finish them - just a waste of time

Probably 3000+ points of Deathwing (were mostly painted till I stripped them, now they're no longer troops. thanks, GW)

2000pts of Sanguinary Guard cut off the sprue, just as I started assembling them they were no longer troops. Thanks, GW.

Probably 2500+ points of 13th Company Space Wolves primed and partially painted

2000+pts of Primaris Blood Angles (yes, Angles - it's a joke) from the starter sets

A full stormtrooper army partially assembled (they will get greenstuff kilts to a Scottish regiment with a simple version of my family tartan)

A bunch metal Grey Knights and Inquisition stuff (my first army)

Maybe 2000ish points of Deathwatch

Over 2000pts of Genestealer cultists (I was getting the easy to build guys from eBay for $60 a set and converting them)

2x Calth and a Prospero box to make a 30k army

2,000pts of new Thousand Sons still on the sprues

Tons of 40k tanks for various projects

Tons of various 40k models I got for conversions and fun

An Armageddon BFG fleet (combined Imperial Navy and Marines)

A lot of the boxed games like Bloodbowl (I have every team but the new new UD and I was making my own Nurgle team), Dreadfleet (sucked), Space Hulk, Silver Tower, Shadespire, etc.

A good chunk of a LotR Rohan army

Warmachine, Hordes, Xwing, Titanicus (obviously), and just a bunch of random stuff.  

Anyway my hobby time just wanders around and I've dealt with a ton of crap this year in real life so my hobby goals this year have really lagged.  I wanted to get AT done but I have a hard time just sitting still quietly to do the nice job I really want to do - especially seeing what you all are pulling off.  It really does help to see what you guys are working on and I hope to get all this done someday.  I started a long time ago with real life friends who have kinda dropped out of the hobby and moved out of the area, that's also a real detractor to getting things done. I miss the old days 10 years ago of spending an afternoon doing 3rd edition 40k and arguing over rules.

Edited by Fajita Fan

Well, if you have trouble keeping at it, my advice is, don’t commit to a single project but work on several projects simultaneously. The important thing is to keep painting. Change armies, change setting, change gaming companies, do whatever inspires you. But keep the momentum: increamental steps give you a very real sense of achievement- and rightly so!

Just stay on your painting station... ;)

I feel like this hobby attracts people with creativity who grew up playing with Legos.

So true.

And I just noticed your signature Reaver count lol! Madness... I bet you can pose the legs on a Mars Pattern Reaver with your eyes closed now!

I feel like this hobby attracts people with creativity who grew up playing with Legos.

So true.

And I just noticed your signature Reaver count lol! Madness... I bet you can pose the legs on a Mars Pattern Reaver with your eyes closed now!

3 are still in the box, I forgot to return them before the return window closed. :(

• 5 months later...

Been a long, long, long last few months dealing with a lot of family and personal stuff, I don't think I've touched anything since December the last time I boxed things up.  It's been pretty challenging finding the motivation to play with plastic soldiers given everything else that's been going on but I'm going to try getting back into it.

Just spent 45 minutes spraying four Reavers, 2 Warhounds, and a converted Knight along with a bunch of Reaver weapons and a new template sprue.  I used Rustoleum aluminum paint/primer for the guns, Leadbelcher spray for the bodies, and Rustoleum gold for the template sprue.  I'm interested how these gold and aluminum sprays work, they're only $4 at Walmart and while they're both lighter than Retributer or Leadbelcher they're also 1/5 the cost.  I just looked on the site and saw that Retributor is $28.  Twenty eight dollars for spray paint?  Does this come with a staffmember to spray it for you?

• 4 weeks later...

My collection thus far.

679b4aa4f7a946834c3f4054ae1cf759 121471

Still to assemble:

3 Reavers

4 Cerastus knights

6 Questoris knights

Enough bits to make 3 Kaban machines (count as traitor Warhounds)

3 weapon upgrade sprues each for Warlords and Reavers

A whole gaggle of 3D printed quake cannons, megabolters, etc

1 regular box of terrain

1 double box of terrain

1 double box with the spires 

I bought these raptors to put on lizardmen bases to make counts-as Saurus cavalry because I loathe the actual models but they were way smaller than I expected.  Along with a GW resin raptor from the Storm of Magic expansion they’d make pretty nifty beasts for a Molech hunt though!

Someone explain to me why I’m wasting time on this crap. 

545D3898 317A 40FA 9583 217A8C3AD6F7

I can’t remember the last pewter models I worked on so I have to remember how to clean them up and properly glue in their tiny arms.
Edited by Fajita Fan

I think they would be a nice pack of beasts to hunt.

Alternative to your initial idea which I will not discuss further as not 30K-40K related:

Maybe a count-as skink cavalry, check Tichi-Huichi's Raiders

With regards to gluing the tiny arms, one thing I do, don't laugh, is to use super glue and a little bit of toilet paper or paper towels as gap filler. I think it is a very cheap way to improve adherence between two metal parts.

They’d need to remake them in plastic but skinks on raptors absolutely make more sense to me.

Now I never finished my carnosaurs, they’re basically ready for priming but I sadly glued the thrones to their bodies so the riders can be painted separately then glued down. My troglodon doesn’t have a rider though, I need to reread the Molech section on the beast hunt to see how big the beasts are. I seem to remember 40mm and 60mm bases being mentioned which means the troglodon would be way too huge. It’s too bad I never bought the old metal carnosaur as he would probably be pretty well scaled for a 60 or 80mm base for this mission.

I have two demon princes on 60mm bases I never finished, “beast hunt” could just be another name for “demon hunt” for a chaos themed mission too. Now where is my book...?