T̶w̶o̶ Three legios and a knight household

Fajita Fan

I waver on them, I’m not totally sold on the idea of adding the red because the book only said the Emperor’s titans were gold plated. I wanted the color to break up the gold but I’m half (more than half) tempted to block in the rest of the panels red and try to shift them to another legio. Dunno.

• 4 weeks later...

Well my hand is cramping terribly and my back hurts from terrible painting posture but the last couple of days off work have seen some layers of Grey Seer on my traitor Reavers and a few of the massive backlog of guns I have to paint. Grey Seer is an awesome color and will serve as the principle color of my white/gold scheme with actual white just being glazed on at the end.

Today was a bunch of trim; my first Warlord test panel from last year (we’re talking one shoulder plate of edging and cleaning up) took almost two hours which has scared me from trying to finish 3 Warlords and 2 Reavers by mid April. I decided to try painting gold on just the top faces of the trim and let Agarax do the edges perpendicular to the plate. There’s no way I can do a full Legio with trying paint those tiny bits gold and keep cleaning up the white only to wash all the recesses anyway. 

3FA5505E 9480 4C60 BCCF 0D120A38082A

9D155755 4214 41F8 8292 865F0BE9C9D9

3BC9A579 AEF4 4F3E B887 F9F3351614F3

Also made a bit of progress on the Warlord weapons, the metal is just bright aluminum primer shaded with contrast gray but that’s now like 3 thin layers of Grey Seer and just one coat of gold. Still a ton of detail work to do...

784297B1 D934 4FD5 A342 A63E4BD4576A

C9ADF7C0 E486 40BB AA5A 570AD7723D21

So one Reaver is pretty well blocked out but just the legs of my brawler are done. Decision time: should I cut off the brawler’s chain fist and do a magnetized joint so he has the option of a gun arm? I also want to replace his head with the cool one from the second weapon sprue but I don’t know when I can spray again. I also risk gooning up my paint job so far with Dremeling and gluing in magnets. These are the kind of annoying indecisions that slow me down. Regardless after some highlighting and shading the panels I should have one shooty Reaver done soon. 

This is good progress. One approach you might use, especially if you’re painting Grey Seer on, is to do the edges first. Then you can just splodge on the gold and paint the grey on to fill the panel. Personally I find that much easier than doing the edges, but YMMV.

I had trouble cutting in the edges with white and not getting on the gold but yes, I think your method is probably the best. I’m hoping that Agarax in the recesses will help cover up my mistakes. It’s hard because I glued all of those panels onto the Reaver so it’s hard to hold steady (because I’m dumb).

Trimapalooza 2020 continues. Nothing too dramatic tonight, just trying to be clean as I worked on unexciting things like knee and crotch plates. The most dramatic thing this evening was using 4:1 medium to Talasar blue contrast paint over the bare aluminum primer to start my plasma glows, two are done. Next up will be very tiny white highlights, I might then do a 6:1 pass of blue over that. 

36BD31D8 53BC 4751 9B3B 457D33C4D6F2

One Reaver is basically ready for gold shading and plate glazing. After that will be Word Bearers style gibberish script and a little effect I mentioned a few pages back to dedicate him to Khorne... :devil:

B2E1CB94 1CBB 4E30 8293 8B05166CBFD5

The other Reaver needs his torso trim gilded before he gets the same treatment. I think I’m going to leave him glued together as a brawler but maybe cut his head off in the spring to replace with the angrier looking variant. Aaaaaaand then comes 3 Warlords and all the guns. :facepalm:  This isn’t even everything assembled and primed. :rolleyes:

291BC78A BE29 4B19 A43D CD5EA296541F

My goal is to get one hour of painting in minimum per day to try clearing some projects.  I got home from work really late so tonight was just little bits of trim and painting/shading the bodies of some guns.  I don't know which box my plastic melta cannons are in so I'm painting a couple of 3d printed pieces I made before the alternate sprues were released. 

I’m on the same boat. I had left my Reaver on the painting station for many months along with some SoH and Word Bearers and of course some 40k DAs. I’m now on a crusade to bring the pipeline down...

I really like the work on the plasma coils - it looks amazing! Is it just thinned down Thalassar over a metallic? That’s very effective!

i may try a green or purple version of it.

Thanks guys, I'm trying to stay motivated so feel free to badger or insult me in any way if I go more than a day without updates.

I’m on the same boat. I had left my Reaver on the painting station for many months along with some SoH and Word Bearers and of course some 40k DAs. I’m now on a crusade to bring the pipeline down...

I really like the work on the plasma coils - it looks amazing! Is it just thinned down Thalassar over a metallic? That’s very effective!

i may try a green or purple version of it.

Absolutely.  Contrasts work by contrasting (*gasp*) with the undercoat and the pigments are drawn to recesses while the medium tries to stay along the flats.  It's a neat effect that the previous GW glazes didn't really do.  I used thinned contrast gray on the body of the gun while avoiding the coils and just ran the 4:1 mix over them while pushing into the recesses front and back to very simply cast the OSL glow.  I also did the lip of the rim just gently, not too much.

Edit: a closeup, I think it needs some highlighting but this is soooo much easier than multiple glazes of layer paints.

C76557E0 FE8B 441B 96B2 E0808B4AEEBF

Now I can go over that very tips of the coils in white and if I do another heavily thinned pass it'll just tint the white down a tad and a little of the pigments will drop into the valleys to further add contrast.  The other thing to try would be to edge highlight the coils first and then do just one thinned pass of contrast blue (or whatever) so it tints the metal and white differently.  I don't want the recesses too dark and contrasts get dark FAST so be careful.

Warp lighting is a great color, so is BA red.  Be careful with the purples, Magos purple looks more magenta to me and Shyish purple is DAARK.  You need to heavily thin that stuff and not load your brush too much because the few tries I've played with have gotten REALLY dark fast.  The pigment in that is pretty powerful so for a weapon glow you might go with Magos.  Aktelian Blue (spelling?) is also a really gorgeous aqua that would make a cool glow too.  I would not use the Grphy Orange contrast for a glow, in the recesses it turns brown and I think a 2:1 or 3:1 mix of Iyanden yellow to BA red makes a better orange.  You still have to thin that with medium to get a glow.

Edited by Fajita Fan

All good advice there. Yes, Shyish is probably out of the question... But Akelian is a very good candidate. 

I really like this effects as is, so much so, that I'd avoid further highlighting - mostly out of fear of ruining it... But if you're brave, go ahead and share the result! (better you than me really...)

I tried the white over the coils and it didn’t come out great. I’ll need to give it another layer of contrast. 

Got some more gold trim done, both Reavers have been trimmed but they need more skeleton and trim shading before I can start glazing white. I also shaded the gold on some warlord guns. 

C52222B4 DDA2 46F9 8427 CE42219A5EE3

53FE5CC9 3CC6 47F2 9DA7 F2315F894FEF

I started glazing some white on the claw and head.

0DBCA293 8110 415F 8E7D 181581125509

CED5EB77 447E 491A BAE4 0992181DA68B

D97F136E 3577 4A5C B9A3 2AAD8FDDE2ED

75D9429B D5B5 437B B71B C4D6C09D84FA

My brushwork sucks and I’m using a tiny brush so I don’t get white on the gold. Damned if I do, damned if I don’t. 

On a side note I think the volcano looks nice in white and gold. 

68906CDA 2E35 4643 803B 2C33C760F57B

Shading the trim is causing a lot of holidays but I guess that’s a necessary evil unless I use a tiny brush. My glazing isn’t going smooth at all, I’m going to have to rethink this on the bigger Warlord plates.

I’m learning that the finish of contrast paints is not durable at all. These will need to be varnished soon as I finish them.

Highlighted some gold trim with Scale75 Elven gold, it’s makes Auric Armor, the similar shade from GW feel very translucent and runny by comparison. Also I finally got around to one of the finishing touches for my traitors who are falling to Khorne: blood weeping from their hydraulics and eyes. 

552A8820 6F0A 4DC0 B3C9 D36D863D3821

4F2F22C7 5CA9 4804 B1E0 9E22B913513F

A2D85E3E FCB6 407F 80FF 4713A4213CD4

ECE39A23 944C 4DC7 84A7 44BA85CC1200

402E7BE6 0F35 44B2 A5F2 70B539B44838

FD11ADE9 21B2 4B6C BECC CCAC3EB13835

AE44F4EF D0A8 434F 94ED 60ECA2998E3D

DB276294 235D 4DF4 BF9D F08E7D84AE3C

08F74FAE 6C12 4913 8F15 03FFB95ACFDD

4FA82E5A 99C9 431F B499 AE46FE005D28

Edited by Fajita Fan

Thanks, my white is very messy and I can't get a clean line where the wash is.  I think I need to use a much smaller brush for washes because they're going all over the place and my hands are too shaky to go in and get it tight.  :ermm:

Hopefully from the eye's distance to the table they'll look okay.