T̶w̶o̶ Three legios and a knight household

Fajita Fan

I don't, the original plan was to use paperclips but they'd look more like antennas.  By my math Questoris are like 29 feet tall (almost a three story building) so the wooden pole meant to carry a big huge flag would need to be like a small treetrunk to stay upright once a rapid fire battlecannon starts firing.  They won't get glued in so they could be swapped with something thinner in the future but when I mocked up various sizes this ended up looking right with the flag mounted.  Once I stain it and paint the armor I don't know it'll even be very visible, if they look crazy big I'll just paint them black and they'll disappear.

So 13 Cerastus and 18 Questoris with poles are ready for spraying, I need to get one more Archeron and Lancelot done.  On to the Acastus... 

Edited by Fajita Fan

I mocked up using toothpicks as lances, one of my ideas was to turn all of my Questoris knight chainsaws into lances to carry the theme with little ribbons on the end.  The 2mm toothpick looked right when mocked up as a weapon so I made it the pole but nixed the last lance idea because I want to finish these guys this fiscal year :whistling:

My battle standard will be magnetized because it's going to have TWO flags on it and a long streamer so it's going to be a much larger 3mm pole to go with my 3mm magnets.

knights-do-battle-in.jpg

Edited by Fajita Fan

Two more Acastus built and ready to spray, Thursday will be a doozy. 

Just because I'm dumb I had the crazy idea of giving my still-to-be-painted white traitor titans with some contrast yellow and rebadge them as Tiger Eyes.  :wacko.:

Two more Acastus built and ready to spray, Thursday will be a doozy. 

Just because I'm dumb I had the crazy idea of giving my still-to-be-painted white traitor titans with some contrast yellow and rebadge them as Tiger Eyes.  :wacko:

I would caution against it, I tried a few experiments with contrast paints when I was preparing to start my own Tiger Eyes, and they really don’t work too well. The large flat panels you get, especially on Reaver and Warhound carapaces just don’t have enough detail for the contrast paint to congregate around. I use them for mine, but only as a way to thin the paint without reducing the intensity of the yellow, but then it’s back to multiple thin coats. On small or heavily detailed pieces they work amazingly well, but alas, not on large smooth panels.

Yeah, I had experimented with red on a Reaver carapace and I broke the “skin” trying to get even coverage. It’s too late at this point and I want to love my white/gold theme but I keep coming back to one of my original plans for just using four Warlords at 2k points: The Four Horsemen.  Four Warlords each dedicated to a different god with conversions, it was so perfect at exactly 2000 points but it meant only one possible maniple. I sadly rushed things to get them primed and took a very long hobby break so the rush was for nought. :rolleyes: 

Someday I might try selling my traitor force and go back to the four Warlords, I just like thinking about my hobby more than sitting down and actually executing. 

Tonight I got most of Lancelot done, I might glue one more thing before priming him. He has mismatched arms but one is magnetized to be replaced later, I just ran out of time tonight and tomorrow should be a good day to prime. If I feel he’s ready I’ll spray him but if not I can afford to wait on him. Goal for tomorrow: respray the knight household - 13 Cerastus, 18 Questoris, and 2 Acastus. I couldn’t find a good spot for the banner pole on the Acastus with the way their back opens up so maybe I’ll skip poles on them. 

I haven't been around much - too self-absorbed in the last month or so...

A huge source of inspiration here! The idea with the Knights of the Round Table is great as is the research and effort you've put into it! Look forward to see where the new direction gets you and your Knights' force... Respraying all of them? wow... 

As for the four horsemen, I really think this is an evocative project and will pay dividends. Once you start on them, momentum will inevitably will build up! 

Thank you, sir.  I was playing with line art in Photoshop last night blocking out color schemes with checkerboards, chevrons, stripes, alternating panels, and some simple shapes I can make with colored .005 markers.  I'm going to go with crosses and a Grail with a host above it to carry the theme, I rather like the idea of a knight secretly worshiping and going on a quest across planets to find the Grail.  These will be done with contrasts to move a little quicker so I'll need to keep panels a little simpler but still colorful.

My Lancelot came out okay, right now I'm magnetizing his shield to his back so he can still count as a lancer when carrying his twin swords.  

Guns for all three Acastus are magnetized and two more sets are ready for spraying along with 3 traitor knights who have already started adding spikes to their armor.  I also have an extra Custodes flier to turn into a crashed objective, I can probably spray that too.  

All the knights and guns are now sprayed including some pipe bits from the new box for basing material and three traitor knights. I’ll make some more this weekend to give them a sense of scale. 

So this is Lancelot, I made him a dual sword duelist with hands I chopped off other knights.  The right hand was my former King’s sword hand and the left was mounted to a Questoris as those Cerastus hands were the only hands available before the Questoris power fists came out. I’ve since replaced them, those gauntlets are nicely detailed and not too hard to make holding a weapon. 

0518D944 DB9F 4E1B 8940 9B642245F2BB

A901AC12 34DB 4525 8B7C C5B60D6792B1

BFBA4F8B 5FC4 4435 9855 6F65F12B1767

8A112BC4 96EE 4C81 921D AD7A841FA3C8

FEEC598D 6A37 4086 87E3 9ADEB02BA0E6

The left hand is magnetized and can rotate between a downward slash and drawn across the body under the chin, I kinda like that pose. His shield is magnetized to his back as if slung back onto an electromagnetic mount. I took this before spraying him, I just did those while touching up a bunch of AoS Stormcasts and Orcs. I will probably cut apart another Questoris gauntlet bicep and reglue the sword hand so the biceps match, I just ran out of time last night. 

Edited by Fajita Fan

Well I think first very boring step will be to add Balthazar gold for all the bronze bits on the legs, black hoses, and a few gold trims first then a thinned coat of contrast gray on the legs and arms. Next up will be Runefang to fix any messes because it’s a spot on match for for the primer.

I think then I can block in the panels, I still don’t know whether it’s better to recess shade before or after using contrasts. Maybe before so I can clean up messes? There will be several boring hours before I can block in color with this many guys I think.

Lancelot sorta betrays Arthur in some of the stories so it’s an homage to the Slayers in WHFB, he must wear an orange crest and reclaim his honor in battle. I just listened to the Winter King by Bernard Cornwell and watched the 2004 Clive Owen “King Arthur” along with the newer Guy Ritchie one - apparently from what I’ve seen you can make up any story you like with the character names and base it on the Arthurian legend so that’s kinda my plan. 

Current plan (may change):

[Okay, I won’t lie, probably will change because I can never make up my mind] :rolleyes:

Sir Mordred gets infected by the corona virus *cough* scrapcode then turns to Chaos and betrays Arthur. I had planned to use a Cerastus lancer for him, maybe he falls to Khorne. So he infects Lady Morgana with the scrapcode and she betrays Arthur as well by stealing Excalibur for Mordred and trying to infect Lancelot whom she loves.  Lancelot spares her life after recovering the sword and she escapes but not before infecting Lady Guinevere with the scrapcode out of spite for Lancelot not joining her. For failing Arthur he takes the Slayer crest vowing to kill Mordred and reclaim his honor or die trying.

Mordred allies with a Chaos titan Legio whose engines STILL haven’t been painted yet. He is joined by Guinevere who falls to Slaneesh, Merlin the sorcerer who has fallen to Tzeentch (and is probably the one who infected Mordred) and Lady Morgana who falls to Nurgle. Together they form a four knight banner of Cerastus knights - the Four Horsemen. This is a convenient excuse to make the 4 converted lancers I had planned anyway, they will get joined by Questoris knights I’ve already made. 

Now this is where I had another thought: this whole time I had pictured this as an Imperial household.  Arthur needs a Grail to seek so I kinda wonder if this should be a Mechanicum house and Grail is actually code from the Omnissiah believed to actually reverse the effect of the scrapcode? Mechanicum knight houses have to reproduce somehow so maybe the silly Arthurian love triangles aren’t too heretical :whistling: . So Arthur is on a quest to retrieve the Grailcode that could save the Mechanicum while hunting Mordred who is also seeking the code to debase it. How silly is an Arthurian legend set in the Mechanicum during the Age Of Darkness? Do I need to come up with computer themed names for the knights and add equations to their heraldry? Convert their names to binary? LOL :laugh.:

[My office is closed to the public and I only get to work two days a week now. I have a lot of spare time to think dumb stuff like this.] :facepalm:

I finally started cutting out and gluing my banners made with Micron pens, oil pens, and cardstock. Too big? Too small? Right size?

6AD58AEA B457 4680 91B6 7B0A267CB531

652DB479 DEA4 43CD 893E EDAF1D27FD9C

47368508 9280 4EC2 852C F3CB1B1EA078

3B5E6146 F1CE 49C6 859F 758768CAD6A1

01CBBDA1 0494 4502 9070 DF48391254D6

928A8A4D 981F 4D70 8E24 F14F02E5BF66

1AFCE0F1 4FE5 4246 8E6D 4C14FE97FBDC

Alright so funny thing about Nurgle's blessing this year: I'm actually a mild germaphobe to start with; I wash my hands throughout the day and use hand lotion in the winter time with neoprene gloves at work because they dry out.  For years people have asked me why I wear gloves and it correlates with flu season during the winter.  I am SO happy to see others finally washing their filthy hands, wearing gloves, and taking the avoidance of germs seriously.  If we actually adopted some of these measures long term then there wouldn't be as much of a flu season!  For years people have mocked me and the way I don't like shaking hands, use paper towels on doorknobs in the mens room, and wash my hands after dealing with things the public touch (like filthy computer mice :yucky: ).  I even hit the office kitchen sink with bleach spray because no one else does. 

We should all be trying to stay safe right now but I could totally manage having a couple of people in our office during this time who take care of one another.  Being at work and getting things done makes me happy, and the downtime is nice for list building and thinking up conversions and paint schemes I never get around to.  

Today I cut up some bits but left them at the office which I won't get back to until next week :wallbash: My Morgana knight will be a Nurgle druid so I've cut up some Fantasy dryad bits to glue coming out of her armor as well as the little runic stone that comes with that kit for her base.  I think I'm actually going to make a scythe for the end of her shock lance and maybe drill a bunch of Nurgley holes in her armor.  

Merlin will have Thousand Sons bits once I find which of my many boxes have those sprues, I'm wondering if the TS flamer muzzle would make an appropriate sized bird-like head and I think the floating tassle bits would look cool coming off the front of his armor.  His shock lance should probably be one of the TS staff heads and maybe the little flaming bits.  Oooo what about a flying disc?  

Guinevere will probably be the hardest as I have zero interest in Slaneesh models and don't own any other than the Noise Marine.  Would a sonic blaster be appropriate at 8mm scale or would that look hokey?  I think the demonic speakers on the Chaos vehicle sprue would be too big, maybe just a lot of chains and a whip?  I think I have another of those Necromunda whips and I have plenty of fine jewelry chain that would like ship anchor chain at this scale.  

Random thoughts, I'm off this weekend so I have time to maaaaybe paint. 

Edited by Fajita Fan

Today in “I spent way too much time on something insignificant so I don’t paint poorly” I mocked up a ripped off crane wrecking ball flail.  Glue is still curing on the ball but I think I’m actually not going to glue the ball to the base and let it swing around but put something on the base that will hold it in place during gameplay. 

Now I thought of magnetizing it to the hand but I could just spray and paint it then superglue it to the hand. 

1C1682C7 C74C 4E6A A5AA 5FACC6C7979A

B6616BCB C68F 4C7C 9E5B CBEE052AB635

That's odd, I thought I posted this from my iPad but it's not showing up.  Anyway here's what I worked on last night and today rather than painting. 

7CD71222 F099 46C5 8DBD 8B3D47CDC366

FE841FC7 C94E 4B84 8E91 BCB4AD3963A4

B5711D45 CAE6 4C91 B25B 81F9C097AF87

And then just because I have a bunch of volcano cannons I might as well make an Ordinatus chassis to magnetize some weapons (or a crane) on.  

DF1E6001 B720 49F9 AE31 86CE07414684

52D96C12 772E 4332 B233 C0D3F1287D02

0CF029C0 3715 4C35 B720 2F71D28AB0A8

And - why not? - a Mechanicus maglev train we haven't gotten in two years now.  

AB779E8B 1DEC 4982 98B6 7D90DAD03339

48890FD9 135E 423F 902E 9CF4770E6628

AC749A78 7193 4492 B14D 1FA842725A3B

296F4F0C 5A56 4A42 81C5 53801B3F76BB

Thanks, guys.  

Kataphron Destroyer tracks and some random bits.  It's not glued together, I ended up gluing most of the stupid train together before starting a Primaris Inquisitor who doesn't even have rules.  I wish I could paint.