Basing your Titan

What sort of suggestions, tips and methods do people use/have for basing Titans?

For my 40K I just Baneblade Brown base, argellen Earth over then stick a few tufts of grass on it. Works a charm but that might not work for the larger themed models. Unless the grass is super grass. Which it ain't.

I used pine bark. Got mine from a do-it-yourself shop (gardening section), cost was € 6 for 35 liters. Let them dry, scrub the dust (best done outside when it is sunny) and you get "rocks", many "rocks".

I also used some foamboard, civitas imperialis tiles and some old epic ruins to make some elevations.

Read a long time ago about one guy using an old metal meat grinder to turn his remaining sprues into rubbles.

Otherwise, I have modeling sand somewhere.

I could go sand and go from there. I have spare bits from the Warhounds sprues (armour plates etc) which will go on some of the bigger titans nicely.

Oh I might have some old school Epic 40,000 ruins I can use too.

Thanks for the replies, all.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up on this, as I'm in a quandary of whether I go for a purely urban basing style, or something along the lines of a Mars base in terms of colouring and perhaps the cracked earth? I'm spending longer than normal constructing my bases for all my Titans before getting into building them properly, working as others have through a mixture of buildings, ruins, appropriately scaled models etc. - but I'm definitely leaning towards urban not just because of these factors, but because I think that's more likely to match a lot of the tables I'm likely to play on. Anyone else debating this too?

Most of the buildings we have are ‘in-atmosphere’ urban type rather than Mech manufactorum type - so we went with an urban mat - so out Titans are going to be urban based.

Most of us are also acquiring old Epic infantry to use in basing.

If you are after static grass, Baccus 6mm do some for - you may have guessed it - 6mm models, so those would work well with the Titans. You can get some as part of a basing kit which also includes fine gravel/sand. Twigs make great fallen tree trunks, which may be another option.

4Ground do some nice 10mm street furniture such as billboards and lights, so those could be another interesting option.

Most of the buildings we have are ‘in-atmosphere’ urban type rather than Mech manufactorum type - so we went with an urban mat - so out Titans are going to be urban based.

Most of us are also acquiring old Epic infantry to use in basing.

That's fair enough - I think in-atmosphere is a good way of progressing it, so urban may just be the best option. 

And yup, I've got infantry and tanks ready to go once I finish the initial layouts!

If you are after static grass, Baccus 6mm do some for - you may have guessed it - 6mm models, so those would work well with the Titans. You can get some as part of a basing kit which also includes fine gravel/sand. Twigs make great fallen tree trunks, which may be another option.

4Ground do some nice 10mm street furniture such as billboards and lights, so those could be another interesting option.

I'm oddly not leaning towards grass, if only because I tend to think of it being more appropriate for realist or 'fantasy'-esque game systems. Twigs/trees however, is a great shout for difference, and would fit even within the urban styling!

I'll check out those 4Ground options too - it might be that those would be the sort of things for scatter terrain generally, but I like the 'city' theme for this sort of thing, so they'd be perfect.

I like a base color that contrasts with the model too, my gray Space Wolves go on red sand, my bone Deathwing go on blackish gray, my red and black Inquisition go on grayish blue, my teal Lizardmen go on sandy stone, etc.

That said I think urban environments are going to be the most popular thing for big stompy robots to achieve that grand sense of scale.  That's what I'm going with.