Basing your Titan

I'm a fan of cheap basing solutions. What I'm currently using for my Titans involves a cheap pre-mixed filler (£1), some baking soda, some cheap superglue (£1 for seven tubes), some coffee stirrers (free) and some spare bits.

Bp01myih.jpg?1

This is my Reaver's base. I built up the "hill" with spare sprue, then gave it shape with the cheap filler. Once it dried, I covered the base with superglue (in small sections at a time to avoid fume induced headaches) and poured on the baking soda, knocking off the excess. I've only undercoated it in black, but will paint it in greys/browns and give it a drybrush or two to bring out all the texture.

HN5AbUXh.jpg

For my Warhound, I'm trying something slightly more complex (but still pretty quick and easy).

a262TNvh.jpg

2ChpApUh.jpg

Here's the base with the filler just applied, so I've still to add the baking soda and neaten up the "walls". I may add some more details like a comm dish from a 40k Rhino, but I think it looks fine as is.

Finally here's the cheap filler I use, which I got from a UK Pound store.

6qcKpGNh.jpg

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Dallo

Good work Dallo. As I said in the other thread, window packers are great. Most form good bulkhead or ramparts but some are shaped into wedges and can make good ramps. Very good for urban bases. Eaves /soffit vents are a little harder to get hold of but look quite cool. More for tables than titan bases but I find off cuts from laminate flooring can make good roads etc

• 1 year later...

Necro with authorisation from OP :)

So, I'm focusing a bit more on my Adeptus Titanicus stuff and am wondering about basing, specifically extra bits and bobs to add on it. I'm interested in the rubble option, and have some basing sand and crackle paste, but some extra "3D" to show a sense of scale would be welcome.

I've been wondering about trees and/or tank traps, perhaps even a few buildings/ruins - I wonder what size those should be though, and I'm not sure about how to make trees like that.

I know some people also use old Epic models, but I'm not ready to shell out how much they'd be asking for - any ideas if there are any Shapeways shops (or stuff like that), or sculpting tutorials (after all, stuff like civilians/guardsmen needn't be super detailed so may be more feasible for me)

If anyone has any additional ideas that can be done easily enough and on a budget, I'm all ears :)

(I'll add I'm working on Legio Oberon, so the base needn't be too colourful as the titans already will be)

Check out Vanguard Miniatures, I have a bunch of not-Krieg Guardsmen I have added to my bases with some tiny rocks and sand but I haven't painted anything yet as I am thinking of switching to a red earth rather than just grey urban basing as my Legio is Defensor which might blend with the grey a bit much. 

I use AK interactive/Terrain (I'm confused what they call themselves) mud. It's fantastic stuff. I wanted to achieve a blasted, WWI-style battlefield, to represent somewhere that titans had been fighting. I've also used some rocks, polyfilla and green stuff where I wanted to build up a bit of a slope.

You get a pot of mud in all sorts of colours that you can just splat on your titans. It's sticky and goopy enough to make things like craters or to stick to the underside of raised feet.

My method is to paint the base green, varnish it really heavily, then stick the mud stuff on to create waterlogged craters. I've also used some brass-etched trees from an architectural model shop and some broken ones made from cocktail sticks and old paint brushes.

These are the results.

I did this warhound first. Since then I've started using slightly bigger trees.

47609737102_ab45248fef_k.jpg

Properly finished warlord, with muddy feet. It's mum will be cross, I imagine.

48253129551_72a46d2425_k.jpg

This is my Lucius Praetorian. The legs still need muddying after I tidy up the paint job a bit.

49009102671_13704cf20d_k.jpg

I had fun making this splash created by my running warlord. Needs mud on feet and a bit of tidying up for the white lines.

49008572063_e180a2be20_k.jpg

Hope this is useful.

I added some parts of the Wall of Marthyrs for scale to my bases.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x120/DarkBjoern/Adeptus%20Titanicus/Lucius%20Praetorian%2001_zpscb2hlc5y.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x120/DarkBjoern/Adeptus%20Titanicus/Bases%20WIP%2005_zpsekrdrahv.jpg

Ooh looks great!I like the aspect of the trees, it helps show the sheer scale of titans :smile.:

Thanks. The actual size of the trees has been something I’ve been a bit unsure about. You obviously get trees of all sorts of sizes, so I’ve gone for a variety of them. But now I’ve got some fairly thick tree stumps that suggest trees much bigger than any of the complete ones I’ve got. Might need to do something about that.

Dark Bjorn's fortifications are another great way to show scale. I've also seen some really awesome townscapes by a guy called Adam Walsh who works at Warhammer World. He's got all sorts of details like car parks and a letter box.

• 2 weeks later...

For a slightly larger scale tank trap, you might want to use some of the resin blocks you'll get with Forge World's kits. Using ones for arms/legs/weapons etc., whilst big, are the right shape - and presuming you sunk them slightly into the base using a texture putty or similar, are then going to look a good size for those scaled vehicles! Or you could of course trim them down for just the tops (using the usual precautions of working with resin). They might also work as nice bigger bunkers as part of a wall or trench system?

I think actually a lack of uniformity can be a bonus - if they're things like tank traps, they're unlikely to be wholly consistent - likely there's a mould - but you might do some battle damage or scoring, take a chunk out, etc. so that they can be unique enough. I'd personally want to have them vaguely similar, but I wouldn't see that as definitive either. 

It's also a great ways of reusing offcuts - either the blocks or the gates - and giving them a new lease of life!