ETC qualifiers with knights

sneakybamsen

Loving the list. Would maybe stick Landstrider on the Krast Gallant though. You don't need to full tilt Armigers to get a t1 charge off with them with that trait in range of them.

Personally, I love a castellan but a crusader with endless Fury is awesome.

The whole idea of Landstrider and Raven on the shootier knights is that all of the army can advance using Landstrider to deny board control, shoot and charge (full tilt on gallant when needed). Yes, with the trait you might be able to land turn 1 charges without advancing the warglaives, but the entire army moves as one giant ball of death for the most part. Pressure is key. If you put landstrider on the gallant, and split the knights, you'd put more eggs in one basket. With land strider on a warden, it means you get more benefit from it, as opponents tend to shoot at the gallant instead first and foremost. A gallant is scary, but making him clutch to your army makes him a juicier target. So it should be better to keep landstrider on another model, to make choosing a target harder. Also, as the gallant is usually the first to die (3/4 games), you can actually use landstrider later than turn 1 to make charges more likely. Or in a pinch to get to an objective while still firing.

The way you're using your Gallant is exactly like how I use mine, I just prefer Hawkshroud because Imperial households are more to my style and their Strat, Relic, and warlord trait all have their uses.

A lone Gallant will only ever be a bullet magnet that might get to kill something so putting to much on him is a waste. Most of the time mine doesn't even get a relic just to save a couple command points but that's also because of my usual opponents.

Landstrider on a Gallant only really works with the Terryn Gallant Lance, which is something every knight player needs to try out at least once.

Curious to see how you do because I'm bringing my power trio to the LVO this year backed up by my Scions. Crusader, Gallant, and Valiant.

I finished painting the last of my models for this list last night, I'll try to do a group shot of them with acceptable lighting either at the event or before, but if you want, you can inspect my album on imgur meanwhile.

https://imgur.com/a/Wjkix3L

For the purpose of seing the actual models in the album, please do not consider the Castigator. I was allowed to use it as a standin for my second warden, but as I was told to bring a regular knight anyways, to make sure LoS would not be a problem for the actual size of a Warden, I decided I wouldn't bring the big fellow, as it would just take up more bagspace. I needed to borrow that questoris chassis anyways from a friend and team-member, so I figured it was easier, if I just did that. And he was so kind to paint it up in his scheme during a busy October. Also, the Crusader wielding an RFBC will be equipped with a reaper chainsword and be my non-landstrider warden.

Finally, here is to hoping that customs here in Denmark will clear my custom Chessex dice, so I can have som sweet dice for this event.

Now we need to see a pic of the dice too!  :wink:

And that might just happen. I have paid the custom fee today, should hopefully receive them tomorrow.

Turns out I was wrong in hoping my dice would show up. I had to go with my regular black and white 12mm dice. The results I got are not in great part due to them, however, so they will not be at fault.

I'll try to get cracking on some reports from the weekend today or tomorrow, could be that it might take longer than I expect.

I'll have to admit though, that I was wrong about Landstrider. It's only <Household> it affects, so when you have dfferent households, only the one that shares. I found out early on in game 3, but in the two previous games, I had only gotten 2" added to an advance with my Gallant that was not legal, but it had no impact as that advance did not result in a charge, shooting or taking an objective.

Here it is. The promised summary of the event for my part mostly. I must apologize for not snatching enough photos of the games, I am not that great at remembering those things, as I tend to rather focus on the game itself than letting myself be distracted. I did keep my promise of taking a snap of the army itself however, so at least they are here for your eyes only ;)

vRJYS56h.jpg

XHOWCndh.jpg

I hope you will indulge the following posts regarding each of the games.

Game one vs Chaos Space Marines, Thousand Sons and Chaos Daemons

His list

== Supreme Command Detachment == Thousand Sons +1CP == [809pts]
HQ1 Winged Daemon Prince of Tzeentch (170), Two sets of Malefic Talons (10), Psychic Powers: Glamour of Tzeentch, Infernal Gateway, WARLORD: High Magister [180pts]
HQ2 Winged Daemon Prince of Tzeentch (170), Two sets of Malefic Talons (10), Psychic Powers: Gaze of Fate, Tzeentch's Firestorm, FREE RELIC: Helm of the Third Eye [180pts]
HQ3 Winged Daemon Prince of Tzeentch (170), Two sets of Malefic Talons (10), Psychic Powers: Diabolic Strength, Infernal Gaze [180pts]
HQ4 Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch (166), Psychic Powers: Death Hex, Doombolt, Prescience [166pts]
HQ5 Sorcerer (95), Force Stave (8 ), Bolt Pistol (0), Psychic Powers:  Warptime, Weaver of Fates [103pts]

== Battalion Detachment == Chaos Daemons +5 CP == [582pts]
HQ1 Changecaster (78) Staff of Change (5) Psychic Powers: Boon of Change, Flickering Flames, [83pts]
HQ2 Poxbringer, Psychic Powers: Miasma of Pestilence [70pts]
TR1 20 Pink Horrors [140pts]
TR2 3 Nurgling Swarms [54pts]
TR3 30 Plaguebearers (210), Daemonic Icon (15), Instrument of Chaos (10) [235pts]

== Battalion Detachment ==  Chaos Space Marines <Alpha Legion> +5 CP == [609pts]
HQ1 Chaos Lord with Jump Pack (93), Chainsword (0), Plasma pistol (7), Mark of Slaanesh [100pts]
HQ2 Sorcerer Force stave (8 ), Bolt pistol (0), Psychic Powers: Delightful Agonies, Diabolic Strength, Mark of Slaanesh [98pts]
TR1 10 Chaos Cultists w/ Autogun, Mark of Slaanesh [40pts]
TR2 10 Chaos Cultists w/ Autogun, Mark of Slaanesh [40pts]
TR3 33 Chaos Cultists w/ Autogun, Mark of Slaanesh [136pts]
HE1 3 Obliterators, Mark of Slaanesh [195pts]
Army Total: [2000pts]

I went with Cunning Commander and Endless Fury on Crusader (warlord) and Armour of the Sainted Iron on the Gallant with Landstrider on one Warden.

Mission was Frontline Warfare and Contact Lost with Spearhead Assault as deployment.

He got first turn after two rerolls, so, apparently, I did not want to go first. He went forward with two layers of screening cultists and plaguebearers and his HQ’s behind them. Obliterators were deepstriking, as were the horrors. He went on to mind control a Warden who was right between the Gallant and a Warglaive, less than an inch apart, so they would have to fight each other in his fight phase. The psychic stuff went on and on, shooting didn’t do much, but I was quickly put under a lot of pressure, as I had not committed to the strategy of deploying way back out of reach. Some were further forward, a grave mistake. His dice worked well, he missed 5 or 6 psychic powers over 3 turns after which I was tabled. In his third turn Oblits fired twice with S9 AP-3 damage3 and killed off two knights. 0-20 He was a good player and a decent opponent, so I wasn’t too downhearted after that. But I learned a valuable lesson or two. Get first turn when you have to reroll twice, stick to the deployment plan instead of thinking one or two knights can handle 8 psykers plus horrors. Third lesson learned was to take more care with the smite heavy lists (which I managed to avoid for the rest of the weekend).

We lost as a team 43 – 57, it would have been a draw if I had managed a 2-18 instead.

A couple of images from this game as I actually managed to snatch some for once.

fXcNfHsl.jpg

n4FZIDGl.jpg

widX48kl.jpg

And finally that second shooting turn where he managed optimal rolling with the oblits and killed two knights with 3 models

sZZ8GpQl.jpg

Game two vs Orks

His list

== Spearhead Detachment +1CP  == [832pts]
HQ1: Weirdboy (62), Weirdboy Staff (0) [62pts]
Troop1: 29x Ork Boy(174), 29x Choppa, 29x Slugga, 29x Stikkbombs, Boss Nob (6), Big Choppa(7), Slugga, Stikkbombs [187pts]
Heavy Support1: Killa Kan(51), Kan Klaw, Skorcha(17), Killa Kan(51), Kan Klaw, Skorcha(17), Killa Kan(51), Kan Klaw, Grotzooka(10) [197pts]
Heavy Support2: Killa Kan(51), Kan Klaw, Skorcha(17), Killa Kan(51), Kan Klaw, Skorcha(17), Killa Kan(51), Kan Klaw, Grotzooka(10) [197pts]
Heavy Support3: Killa Kan(51), Kan Klaw, Rokkit Launcha(12), Killa Kan(51), Kan Klaw, Rokkit Launcha(12),Killa Kan(51), Kan Klaw, Rokkit Launcha(12) [189pts]

== Battalion Detachment +5CP [1163pts] == [1163pts]
HQ2: Warboss on Warbike(86), Attack Squig(0), 2x Dakkagun(0), Power Klaw(13), Shoota(0), Stikkbombs(0),Might is Right, WARLORD [99pts]
HQ3: Warboss on Warbike(86), Attack Squig(0), 2x Dakkagun(0), Power Klaw(13), Shoota(0), Stikkbombs(0) [99pts]
Troop2: 29x Ork Boy(174), 29x Choppa, 29x Slugga, 29x Stikkbombs, Boss Nob(6), Power Klaw(13), Slugga, Stikkbombs [193pts]
Troop3: 29x Ork Boy(174), 29x Choppa, 29x Slugga, 29x Stikkbombs, Boss Nob(6), Power Klaw(13), Slugga, Stikkbombs [193pts]
Troop4: 29x Ork Boy(174), 29x Choppa, 29x Slugga, 29x Stikkbombs, Boss Nob(6), Power Klaw(13), Slugga, Stikkbombs [193pts]
Troop5: 29x Ork Boy(174), 29x Choppa, 29x Slugga, 29x Stikkbombs, Boss Nob(6), Big Choppa(7), Slugga, Stikkbombs [187pts]
Troop6: 9x Ork Boy(54), 9x Choppa, 9x Slugga, 9x Stikkbombs, Boss Nob(6), Power Klaw(13), Slugga, Stikkbombs [73pts]
Troop7: 9x Ork Boy(54), 9x Choppa, 9x Slugga, 9x Stikkbombs, Boss Nob(6), Power Klaw(13), Slugga, Stikkbombs [73pts]
Elite1: Painboy (40), 'Urty Syringe(0), Power Klaw (13) [53]

Warlord was Crusader with Endless Fury and Cunning Commander. Gallant had Armour of the Sainted Iron and again Landstrider on a Warden.

Mission was Resupply Drop and Deadlock. Deployment was Vanguard Strike.

This time I was able to get first turn, and my opponent failed to seize. He had deployed defensively out of sight with most of his army, ensuring I couldn’t just get in there and wreck away. He did bring out his Killa Kans, which I decided to deal with as soon as I could. Had my warlord come far forward on my left flank to make sure he couldn’t hide all game. He chose the table, so it was dense with LoS blocking terrain. It was close and good fun all the way through, although time meant we only got to play 3 turns each. A lot of things happened, and there was no slow playing, but 170 boys do take time to move around, even with movement trays. In the end I had the lead, but had he managed two 9” charges, he would have snatched victory. Luckily for me both failed, even with rerolls. He was such a good sport, that we agreed a rematch at some point at the club I play in.

13-7 win for my knights as terrain made it impossible to really get to him in time for a bigger win.

The team scored 54 points, just 2 short of a victory. We knew we had lists capable of doing better and enough knowledge to get more points.

I did not get any photos of this game sadly, as is the case for most of the other games I played. I tend to stay focused on the table to a degree where I forget that kind of "obligations".

Game three vs Imperial Knights

His list

== Super Heavy Detachment == Imperial Knights (Raven) +3CP == [944pts]
LoW1: Knight Castellan (510), Plasma Decimator (0), Volcano Lance (0), 4x Shieldbreaker Missiles (4*12), 2x Twin Meltagun (2*0), 1x Twin Siegebreaker Cannon (35), - [593pts] WARLORD <Ion Bulwark> - FREE RELIC - Cawl’s Wrath
LoW2: Armiger Warglaive (160), Reaper Chain Cleaver (0), Thermal Spear (0), Melta Gun(17) – [177pts]
LoW3: Armiger Helverin (170), Armiger Autocannon (2x0), Heavy Stubber (4), [174pts]

== Super Heavy Detachment == Imperial Knights (Krast) +3CP == [846pts]
LoW1: Knight Gallant (285), Reaper Chainsword (30), Thunderstrike Gauntlet (35), Heavy Stubber (4), - [354pts]
LoW2: Armiger Warglaive (2x160=320), Reaper Chain Cleaver (2x0=0), Thermal Spear (2x0=0), Heavy Stubber(2x4=0) –[328pts]
LoW3: Armiger Warglaive (160), Reaper Chain Cleaver (0), Thermal Spear (0), Heavy Stubber(4) – [164pts]

== Battalion Detachment == Adeptus Mechanicus  (Stygies VIII) +5CP == [204pts]
HQ1: Tech-Priest Enginseer (35pts), Servo-Arm (12), Omnissian Axe (0), Las Pistol (0) [47pts]
HQ2: Tech-Priest Enginseer (35pts), Servo-Arm (12), Omnissian Axe (0), Las Pistol (0) [47pts]
Troop1: 4* Skitarii Rangers (28), 1* Ranger Alpha (7), 5* Galvanic Rifles (0)  [35pts]
Troop2: 4* Skitarii Rangers (28), 1* Ranger Alpha (7), 5* Galvanic Rifles (0)  [35pts]
Troop3: 4* Skitarii Vanguard (32), 1* Vanguard Alpha (
, 5* Radium Carbines(0)  [40pts]

Warlord again was Crusader with Ion Bulwark and Endless Fury. Paragon Gaunlet on Gallant and Landstrider on a Warden.

Mission in round 3 was Scorched Earth and Tactical Escalation with Dawn of War deployment.

During deployment I decided that I wanted to try and set my Gallant up for an outflanking maneuvre, to make sure his Castellan wouldn’t escape unscathed. I split my remaining forces a bit to try and make sure he didn’t box it all in one corner just to outshoot me. I had the Landstrider Warden with the two glaives (which was when I found out I had been using the trait wrongly). My CP came down to 2 during first turn, and had I made the 9+ roll on the Full Tilt charge into the Castellan with the Landstrider Warden with a command reroll, it would have been looking good. Alas, it failed, and the Castellan was not even bracketed. He was forced however to remove my Warden as a threat, as it was less than 12” from his Castellan after he had moved, and I rotated of course. There was not much doubt of what he had to try, if he wanted the Castellan to live, so it was an easy call. He shot everything at the Warden with his baby knights and the Castellan, but it lived with 1 wound in big part due to rotating.

I then killed his Castellan, but he had board control with Ad-Mech, and his Gallant, even though bracketed, charged into my Crusader killing it outright with the fist. I was down to the Gallant and a Warglaive in the end and lost 6-14.

In retrospect the outflanking part was probably not a good idea, and I overcommitted in killing the Castellan, as he had two thirds of the board. I also forgot to play the mission for two turns, which is horrible. Cards weren’t great, but I could easily have had 4 more VP by progressive scoring, if I had thought about it.

Luckily my team pulled out a comfortable win of 66-34, so we were starting to look more like we should.

A single image after my first turn

naBrXOfl.jpg

Game 4 against Necrons

His list

== Battalion Detachment ==  Nephrek Dynasty (1122 pts) +5 CP
HQ1: Overlord (84) Hyperphase Sword (3pts) WLT Immortal Pride, Relic Veil of Darkness [87] WARLORD
HQ2: Cryptek Chronometron (15pts) Staff of light (10) [95]
TR1 Immortals 5x Immortal (8pts x5) Gauss blaster (9pts*5) [85]
TR2 Immortals 5x Immortal (8pts x5) Gauss blaster (9pts*5) [85]
TR3 Immortals 10x Immortal (8pts x 10) 10x tesla carbine (9*10 = 90) [170]
FA1 Destroyers 6x destroyer (30pts x 6) 6 gauss cannons (120) [300]
FA2 Destroyers 6x destroyer (30pts x 6) 6 gauss cannons (120) [300]

== Outride Detachment == Neprekh Dynasty (870pts) +1 CP
HQ4: Lord (84) Hyperphase Sword (3pts)[76]
FA3 Canoptek Wraiths 6 x Wraith (55pts x 6) [330]
FA4 Canoptek Wraiths 5 x Wraith (55pts x 5) [275]
FA5 Tomb blades 7x tomb blade (14 pts x 7) 7x Particle beamer (10pts x 7), 7x shield vane (3pts x 7) [189]

Total 1992 points

Warlord was once more Crusader with Knight Seneschal and Endless Fury. Armour of the Sainted Iron and Landstrider on Gallant.

Mission was Secure and Control for Eternal War with Cleanse and Capture as Maelstrom. We deployed in best Search and Destroy-style.

I wanted to be as graceful about this as I could, I heard my opponent say he could take one for the team. No one had any doubts about how it would end, so I had better be a good opponent at least. He won first turn, again after two rerolls, but I seized. That was an agonizing moment. Suffice to say I charged in the Krast detachment, and his Wraiths were down to 3 guys after my first turn. Killed 6 Tomb Blades with shooting as well. In his turn 5 of those came back, but it was for a brief moment. I piled on the pressure, rolling well most of the time, and he did not. In his second turn his destroyers came in from deep strike, he completely parked the bus in his own corner, and shot down my two warglaives. For the glory he charged the last Wraith into my Gallant, and asked me if we could call it there. I didn’t want to drag anyone through such a game, so I of course accepted his surrender. 20-0 for the knights.

This round was brutal on our opponents, one of the other games ended after a do-or-die move by their team captain, and 2 others were tablings or close to. 79-21

Game 5 vs Tyranids and Genestealer Cults

His list

== Battalion Detachment == Tyranids - Kraken - 5 CP == [441pts]
HQ1: Neurothrope - Psychic Powers: The Horror [70]
HQ2: Neurothrope - Psychic Powers: Catalyst [70]
TR1: 10 Termagant [40]
TR2: 3 Ripper Swarm [33]
TR3: 19 Genestealers (190): Rending Claws (38) [228]

== Vanguard Detachment == Tyranids - Kronos - 1 CP == [886pts]
HQ1: Neurothrope – Warlord (Soul Hungerer) – Free Relic (The Norn Crown) - Psychic Powers: Dominion [70]
EL1: 6 Hiveguards (108): Impaler (180) [288]
EL2: 6 Hiveguards (108): Impaler (180) [288]
EL3: 5 Hiveguards (90): Impaler (150) [240]

== Battalion Detachment == Genestealer Cult - 5 CP
HQ1: Primus (71): Bonesword (5) [76] == [672pts]
HQ2: Magus [73]: Psychic Powers: Might from Beyond [73]
HQ3: Magus [73]: Psychic Powers: Mass Hypnosis [73]
EL1: 20 Purestrain Genestealers [300]
TR1: 10 Hybrid Neophyte (50): [50]
TR2: 10 Hybrid Neophyte (50): [50]
TR3: 10 Hybrid Neophyte (50): [50]

Army Total: [1999pts]

I went with Ion Bulwark and Endless Fury on my Crusader and bought Armour of the Sainted Iron and Landstrider for the Gallant.

Mission in the last round was Relic with Spoils of War. Deployment map for the round was Hammer and Anvil.

I deployed on the back line where I had two objectives, since his 17 Hive Guard would be able to hurt my knights badly. He was puzzled as he had expected me to come crashing forward. He told me I could go get a cup of coffee to enjoy during the game while he deployed the rest of his drops. The first 4 were deepstrikes, so I had almost my entire army on the table when he placed his first model. He gave me first turn, even though he won the roll-off. First turn took a couple of minutes, I shuffled around a bit, discarded a maelstrom card, and it was his turn. Same thing happened during his turn, so my turn two was done after about 20 minutes of playing time. I was still all the way back, forcing him to come forward. Which he did. Everything moved up, Purestrain Genestealers with Primus came on, as did the two Magus and two Hybrid units. He mind-controlled my warlord, and shot the Gallant with everything, which made me rotate, just to minimize damage, and only did 4 wounds to it. The 20 Purestrain charged a warden and left it standing with 5 wounds. He had me in my third of the table, but his army was split. I mopped up the Genestealers with the bracketed warden, Gallant and a Warglaive, while my Warlord shot one Magus and stomped some Hybrids. The other Warglaive finished off the other Hybrid unit that had charged it, and the last Warden took some potshots at some Hive Guard while going up the right side of the middle. My opponent next sent in the other unit of Genestealers and tried to shoot what he could. He barely bracketed my warlord but did manage to finish off the wounded warden later on. In the end he killed a Warglaive, but that was it. It was a 12-8 for me, even though he had the Relic. If he hadn’t been picking the table, terrain would not have allowed his bugs to live. One Ripper Swarm base and 3 Neurothropes remained at the top of turn 6. Had we had turn 7, it would have been a bigger victory.

Unfortunately the team got crumpled, and we lost really badly 16-84.

Did grab one shot from this game, my conga-lining knights in deployment.

c6t6z6kl.jpg

A quick rundown of how the team did – When we had signed up, there were 16 teams on the list. We decided the goal was a top 10 ranking, and as the tournament became 22 teams, we realized it would be a lot harder to achieve that, but we sort of stuck with it. On Saturday morning, however, we agreed that top half would be a fine goal, as at least one of the teams signing up after us, was significantly stronger – the German ETC team, or at least 5 of 8 players from it. Afterall top half was only 1 place shy of the original goal, so that still be quite respectable for a team of 4 new-comers at ETC qualifiers.

We managed the top half and were within a hair’s breadth from 10th place. Had we scored those few extra VP in one of the first two rounds, we would even have been 9th. Alas it was not to be, but we went out smiling nonetheless.

My teammates managed 25th, 33rd, 62nd and 91st individual rankings and I came 53rd, meaning 3 of us were in the top half of the individual board, which makes sense when we finished there as a team as well.

As a final note a massive thanks to the organizers of a really well executed event, my teammates especially for making the weekend unforgettable and my opponents for being good sports all of them, even the Necron player (he managed the game with a smile) who got sidelined completely by the bigger robots.

An especially big thanks to our captain for enabling all of us to go by providing a second car to drive in, as we could not have fit in mine, lending an army to a team-member and Señor Ramirez (the green, white and red warden in my army) to me.

Will I be wanting to come back next year? Definitely.

Best regards

Sneaks

Just remembered I forgot to do one important thing in this process - list evaluation. Otherwise, how will you have an idea how it feels to play the list, unless you have the option of being able to test it yourselves?

I found it a fun list to play, as I seem to like close combat in the game. Having a list where every model can do close combat decently or better, has been a boon to me. None of my opponents had really foreseen what this list was about, so the shock-effect was in play. It caused them to speculate and wonder what they should do, which was a big part of the idea behind it. Also fielding 120 wounds with T7+ and 5++ in shooting is a mouthful for a lot of opponents. Especially when said wounds are playing agressively, not just letting you have board control.

Unfortunately, as it so often happens, the melta weapons whiffed in several games, and I'm not sure if my list was able to pack enough punch to knights to be truly viable. I had expected the Big FAQ 2 to do something to the soup lists with knights, but most teams had two knight lists going to a degree at least. Upping the cost on Order of Companions was not enough to deter use of the Castellan.

Would I field this list or something similar again? Yes. Will the meta change before next years qualifiers? Guaranteed. So if I play knights at the danish ETC qualifiers 2019 will rely on 3 things. The first being my wife letting me go, the second will be the team, the third if knights still work well and I can get to play them.

Archived