Plague Marine heavy forces

apologist

Some leaked screenshots have been found (I won't post the screenshots here).  Note that this includes the changes from 2017 as well so some of these might not be new points values:

Biologous Putrifer: 60
Blightlord Terminators: 34
Chaos Cultists: 5
Chaos Land raider: 200
Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour: 95
Chaos Spawn: 25
Daemon Prince w/Wings: 170
Deathshroud Terminators: 35
Defiler: 120
Helbrute: 60
Lord of Contagion: 95
Myphitic Blight-Hauler: 75
Noxious Blightbringe: 50
Plague Marines: 16
Plague Surgeon: 54
Plagueburst Crawler: 100
Possessed: 20
Sorcerer in Terminator Armour: 102
Tallyman: 50

WARGEAR

Bile Spurt: 0
Blight Launcher: 10
Chainfist: 11
Combi-flamer: 8
Combi-melta: 15
combi-plasma: 11
entropy cannon: 15
flamer: 6
force axe: 10
force stave: 8
force sword: 8
havoc launcher: 6
heavy flamer: 14
heavy stubber: 2
helbrute fist (single/pair): 30/60
helbrute hammer: 30
helbrute plasma cannon: 16
meltagun: 14
missile launcher: 20
multi-melta: 22
plage belcher: 7
plague spewer: 15
plaguereaper: 20
plaguespurt gauntlet: 0
plasma gun: 11
plasma pistol: 5
power fist: 9
power scourge: 35
predator autocannon: 40
reaper autocannon: 40
twin heavy flamer: 28
twin lascannon: 40

• 5 months later...

Deredeo's can provide a 5++ as well. They also add some much needed long range pew pew in an army with mostly short ranged weaponry. 

Edit: +1 to hit against FLY keywords when the Helical Targeting array is activated is a nice bonus as well

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

I played 2 games recently against Custodes w/knight. I lost the first and won the second. I ran 5 10 Plague Marines units and 1 7 man squad in a Rhino (Plague bus). A couple DP's, other characters, and a leviathan 2x butcher. He went first both games and we played missions for an up coming tournament.

First game he put everything into the Rhino turn 1 and destroyed it, then shot its passengers off the board. I made a huge mistake on moving and set him up for a 2nd turn charge after being shot up with all those bolter shots. By turn 3 I couldn't get any more points and it was 15-19 in his favor so we called it to get in another game.

The second game I played a little smarter and really used the terrain to my advantage. Got off a first turn charge with my bus thanks to setting up 18" apart. It took all 5 of my shooty guys to kill a unit of 5 jet bikes. The leviathan killed a squad a turn for the first 2 turns. By this time he basically had only his knight and a few heavily damaged units. I was up by 9 or 10 at this time but he insisted on playing. He killed a unit off with his knight, but I put everything into it my next turn After turn 3 I was up by 15 and he called it.

They were good when kept in cover and out of charge range, but out in the open they lose so much of their survivability. I think against cc armies that are fast wouldn't have an issue with my list either.

I've enjoyed this thread so far. I can understand everybody's relationship with their own own armies and how they perform based on their play-style.

For me, I love using plague marines and basing my armies around them. I've played 40k since 4th edition and have rarely deviated away from "NURGLE CHAOS MARINES" due to how slowly I paint models. For me plague marines have always represented the core of my force and frankly little has changed in the way they behave on the table top. They're hard to shift but don't kill a great deal. They currently are, and have always been, an anvil unit.

In 8th edition they are WAY more exciting to play with. More options. More rules to take advantage of. Strategems. More fun. More modelling opportunities.

Plague marines can, and should be, the focus of your chosen legion.

I always use 1 squad on foot or on rhino just to have the option to use blight bombardment. Up untill now I never used more than 1 squad, unfortunately plaguebearers do their work much better. I would like to try with a 15-20 man squad with blighthauler just to see how it goes. Did any of you ever try that? Behind pox/bearers of course.

I always use 1 squad on foot or on rhino just to have the option to use blight bombardment. Up untill now I never used more than 1 squad, unfortunately plaguebearers do their work much better. I would like to try with a 15-20 man squad with blighthauler just to see how it goes. Did any of you ever try that? Behind pox/bearers of course.

A 15-20 man option is good behind a Blight Hauler, but even better behind "something" with Cloud of Flies on the PM. The best protection is being non-targetable.

So speaking to my DG opponent last week who ran the triple Plaguburst - he said hes played some PM heavy forces tooled up for grenades and combat. With the cover engines it can be fun he said but ultimately not too amazing

I suppose that's the issue with plague marine heavy forces.

Like the fluff there is little subtly in their use, the entire plan is basically grinding through enemy fire and then through the enemy themselves

No fountains of blood and body parts like the Shlaanish or Khorne marines nor showy magical and flashy spells like the thousand sons

We just play the attritional game

The tournament secondaries include a choice called Engimeers. You score 1 point every turn after the first that one of your two troop choices you nominated as your engineers holds an objective. There are some special rules like you can't make them untargetable, they cannot perform certain actions, things like that.

Now when you set up Plague Marines on an objective that's in cover, they are close to impossible to have them removed. They may not kill anything the whole game either, but they still earn you 4 points. I think this makes a PM heavy force more viable in that setting.

I'm sorry but I don't think that PMs are impossible to kill in cover. They might be harder to kill for low strenght/VP weapons, but those usually are directed on screens of poxwalkers/plaguebearers anyway. Any plasma-like weapon can easily kill a plague marine, in cover or not, unfortunately.

If the opponent wants them dead, they will die. The trick imo, is to present other more important threats or use cloud of flies on a squad of them.

Edited by Zombs