Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Stalker

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Stalker?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • How are you buffing this unit?
  • Do you take the optional upgrades?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

Nope never. Until this edition I didn't even know the Stalker and Hunter exist to be completely honest lol.

All I can offer is theory crafting ... and that I think it looks pretty cool as far as it goes for Rhino chassis tanks!

Given it has T8, perhaps it can be used in the same manner as a Vindicator? 48" weapon means you don't have to get as close (bonus) and it's stats being STR 7, AP -1, D 2, +1 To Hit vs Fly means it is a threat to Inceptors and other jump troops/skimmers.

Obviously you wouldn't run it without any target saturation, but it could be useful against the right force. No?

I think I'd take the storm bolter upgrade at least...

Its role is definitely anti-FLY with its 6 S7 AP-1 D2 shots and since it doesn't just get a bonus against FLY but also a malus against any non-FLY unit I'd say using it for anything else would be a huge waste of points.

However against the average hover tank (T7 Sv3+) it would do just about 2 damage total so it's probably better used against softer FLY units like infantry and Landspeeder and such.

I don't want to make any comparison to other units at this points since it should be pretty obvious that it's not the best choice or else we would see it in more lists (or any that is). ^^

Well it is cheap, being 109 points bare-bones and reaching up to 117 with both SB and HKM. Degrading profile can be an issue. As sfPanzer mentioned, it is a weapon that seems specifically designed against a limited amount of targets: lighter skimmers, jump infantry and MC with FLY, that can be targeted due to having more than 10 wounds. True Flyers are still being hit 3+ due to them being mostly -1 to hit from the start.

A situational choice at best if you know you'll be facing it's preferred targets. 

This was a new tank for 6th edition IIRC, and us Blood Angels only officially got access to it in 8th. Depends how many flyers you go up against really, it's most effective against lower toughness flying things - it's one of the more effective things in the toolkit against Dark Eldar for example, and should more than make its points back against expensive elites with jump packs as they don't get the -1 for hard-to-hit that big flyers have. It'll benefit from a hit roll bonus aura, and the T8 makes it not a bad choice for parking on a back field objective if there are other juicier targets for antitank fire.

Worth it in a generalist TAC list? more questionable.

Archived