Are drop pod doors part of the hull?

jonjacob

I have looked over the rule book and faqs and googled for it but I can't find an answer for 8th edition.

are the doors a decorative feature or are they apart of the hull?

I hope the former is true as marines standing on said doors would be a no no, and deployment would be horrific. silver lineing would be good anti deepstrike tool.

I have looked over the rule book and faqs and googled for it but I can't find an answer for 8th edition.

are the doors a decorative feature or are they apart of the hull?

I hope the former is true as marines standing on said doors would be a no no, and deployment would be horrific. silver lineing would be good anti deepstrike tool.

I think RAW would state that yes they are and you can deploy 3 inches away from them. Not that it would make any difference as the drop pod states that if it can't deploy a model more than 9 inches away it dies... Sort of a moot point really.

I can't recall a definitive answer on this (not to say that there isn't one that I'm simply unaware of). However, there are two things to consider (and they are in contrast with each other):

First, I can't recall any images from GW on the website, in the codex, or in White Dwarf battle reports that depict disembarking Space Marines standing on the doors. All the instances that I can find/recall have the models standing on the tabletop rather than the doors. What I infer from this is that GW's intent might be that disembarking models aren't allowed to stand on the doors.

Second, and opposing the above, is that you don't have to model your drop pod with the doors able to open (just like you don't have to model your tanks with their doors able to open). So if a drop pod doesn't have its doors open (on the tabletop), disembarking models can be placed anywhere around the drop pod. The thing to remember about this is that if GW's intent is that models can't be placed on doors, this is a slimy workaround.

Realistically, I don't see why models shouldn't be able to be placed on the doors. Said models wouldn't benefit from being in cover and they would become targets in their own right. The fact that the models have been placed means that they have disembarked from the vehicle, so I don't see how an opponent would be adversely affected by this model placement. In real life, troops disembarking from vehicles can shoot from/be shot at while moving down a vehicle's ramp, and the pose of the model doesn't indicate its actual pose (i.e., that model that is "standing" on the ramp is actually in motion, the end of the movement turn merely capturing a snapshot in time of the model's relative location, not what it is actually doing).

Ultimately, you should probably just discuss this with your opponent/game group/tournament organizer to figure out how it's going to be played for that event (until a definitive answer from GW is found/provided).

greyswuigg & brother Tyler thanks for pointing out those few things.

Doors open or not can drastically change the way it played under raw, going from somewhat useful to impossible to use. Discussion with opponents would be ideal. Don't want to model for advantage, not like pods are meta buster at the moment.

marines on doors should probably not be a thing given raw to, no two models have ever has been able to occupy the same space out side of transport rule. maybe residual 7th ed thinking on my part.

All measuring is done from the hull.

The Designers Commentary has an FAQ that asks what the hull is.

“Q: When a model does not have a base, as is the case with many vehicles, what exactly is the ‘hull’ of the model?

A: The hull of these models refers to the main body of the model. It does not include things such as turrets, sponsons, aerials, banners, spikes etc. If there is still doubt, we recommend both players agree about what constitutes the hull of such models before the battle begins.”

I personally would argue that the main body of model does not include any doors and I’d imagine most people would agree however GW recommends you discuss this with your opponent before the game starts.

In all honesty this is a question that is answered by common sense rather than by any written rule.

It therefore falls under the "discuss it with your opponent if there's a disagreement and then roll off if you can't agree" category of rules queries.

It's not something that can be resolved here.

Archived