Are ork bikerz fluffy?

Irbis

By which I mean normal bikes. You know, with pedals and stuff. I was looking at feral orks and snakebites the other day and it hit me - if they make steampunky war machines, including steam gargants and steam powered wagons because they lack/don't like the technology, why not bikes? Surely, they must like to go fasta too and chain-and-pedals bike must not be that hard to make, especially with their other war gear showing pulleys and transmission belts, which is all you need for a bike.

Though, that also got me thinking, what if the feral orks would capture some runna squigs or something, put them into hamster wheels bolted into bike frame, and used that to power a bike instead of engine? Or hell, skip that step, grab bigger squig, tie it to bike frame so that legs touch the ground and give it a good kick to start running when you want to go? Or maybe even tie it in front, instead of front wheel, to use it both as propulsion and melee weapon once you crash into enemy lines? Would that be propa orky? Thoughts? :ph34r.:

I mean, I've never heard of orks riding regular bicycles, but if you want to do that conversion then go for it. The more common snakebite "biker" conversion is riding boars.

If you do that at least one ork has to ride a penny farthing and wear a monocle and top hat.

I mean, I've never heard of orks riding regular bicycles, but if you want to do that conversion then go for it. The more common snakebite "biker" conversion is riding boars.

That is less of a 'conversion' and more just buying fantasy models. I don't know, boars just don't feel '40K' to me. If that was a squig, sure, but terran animal?

I guess I just wondered what people do as bike replacements that doesn't involve pigs, is all :whistling:

That is less of a 'conversion' and more just buying fantasy models. I don't know, boars just don't feel '40K' to me. If that was a squig, sure, but terran animal?

I guess I just wondered what people do as bike replacements that doesn't involve pigs, is all :whistling:

Not every single creature orks interact with has to be part of their biologic race. Orks have had boar riders since 2nd ed:

WH40K_Orks.jpg

I can certainly see where Irbis is coming from. A squig or other captured beast would seem less odd than what amounts to Orks pillaging Terra for an animal that is probably extinct in the background anyway.

Here's a link to a model which hopefully serves as inspiration and the (in my opinion) better concept art a few posts underneath. http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=41842

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XdP6Lp2ceqY/THnZgXrIaVI/AAAAAAAAaXs/Ne0V5gwSyEg/s1600/segway-rough-riders-imperial-guard-warhammer-40k-segway-roug-demotivational-poster-1255553637.jpg

If this is possible...

I second the idea of the monocled dandy ork :D

It could be a nice steampunk theme!

I’m pretty sure somewhere in the 4th/5th edition timeframe there was some lore about the boars feral Orks ride just being a big hairy kind of Squig. They definitely have reappeared in white dwarf articles from time to time (they were in the feral Ork list and available to snakebites the last time clan rules were a thing) since 3rd edition, so they’re not just a crazy 2nd ed thing.

I can certainly see where Irbis is coming from. A squig or other captured beast would seem less odd than what amounts to Orks pillaging Terra for an animal that is probably extinct in the background anyway.

Here's a link to a model which hopefully serves as inspiration and the (in my opinion) better concept art a few posts underneath. http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=41842

The concept art is pretty slick (and otherwise seems to have disappeared from the internet), unfortunate that they never made it into model form. They're that bit more sci-fi looking than the WHFB squigs.

Maybe you could approximate their look with the back half of a WHFB cold one and the face/maw of a squig? They look identical in their equipment to warbikers and would probably fit well.

Also turns out Paul Jeacock, the artist behind these and other ork/40k designs, went on to do concept art for Mad Max: Fury Road. Probably shouldn't be a surprise but there we go.

Archived