Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Codex: Genestealer Cults

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,858 posts
Between the oops with the Primuslinger and the mention in the Big FAQ 2, we know the Codex is coming soon...but no info leaking until now! I got these off the GSC Facebook group, which was reposting comments from a supposed playtester on /tg/. SO as they say - much salt! (And some minor editting for profanity).

"Points are probably the worst thing for me to leak, so screenshots of the full page at once might be tricky. There have been a large number of points reductions across the board. The head guy for GSC (the one who worked on the initial team, and to my knowledge worked on DE and Nids) put a [lot] of maths behind it, and he playtests them outside of work."

The codex was tested alongside the ork codex, so the armies should be about even. Bad Moonz were painfully dominant in matchups.

"Metamorphs are cheaper. Holy [Throne] they were overpriced before. Their weapons all have AP-1 now, or better (for rending claws), and they're cheaper than Genestealers (rightfully). Hand flamers also went down from 8 points, they're about half that price now."

"A lot of GW design staff are actually rooting for GSC, as many have kill teams or small armies. There are a few who don't like them as much (scared of turn 1 deep strikes), but the guy who does the maths on the GSC team is widely regarded as a brilliant playtester. He's not paid enough in my opinion, but he doesn't care too much. It's slightly cheesy, but he usually says something like "actually having a balanced army is its own reward, no-one wants to play a :cussty army"."

(In regards to goliath trucks and rockgrinders) "We realised that if a GSC player wants to get something to the front line quicker, then they'll just cult ambush stuff. If they want to protect their Neophytes, they just get more Neophytes (which is also cheaper). We've reduced points and added a few stratagems that might help."

> Sabotaged! (1CP) - When an enemy unit is destroyed and has an explosion effect, do not roll any dice - that effect automatically triggers.
> Confusion in the Ranks (3CP) - Choose an enemy unit in your opponent's army. Select one of its aura abilities - that ability cannot be used until the start of your next turn.
> Final Detonation (3CP): Use this stratagem at the start of the fourth battle round. Roll a D6 for each unit on the battlefield. On a 1-3, the unit being rolled for cannot advance this battle round. On a 4+, the unit being rolled for suffers a mortal wound and cannot advance this battle round.
> The Anointed one Rises: Use this stratagem if an Abominant is slain. At the end of the phase, that model is set up again, as close as possible to the previous position and more than 1" from enemy models, with D3 wounds remaining.
> Density Analysis Lenses (1CP) Ignore cover on chosen target.
> Inhuman Reflexes (2CP): A unit gets a 5++, or has its invulnerable save increased by 1.
> Industrial Brutality (1CP) - Double the attacks of all mining weapons in an acolyte squad (rock saw, rock drill or rock cutter only).
> Frenzied Hammering (2CP) - Select a unit of Aberrants - each model in that unit increases its attacks by D3 (roll once for the whole unit), but takes a -1 to hit rolls.
> Strength of Faith (1CP) - 5+ feel no pain, but only vs. mortal wounds in the psychic phase.
> Demolition Claw (1CP) - When a unit with demolition charges makes its attacks while embarked within a goliath truck/rockgrinder. That units demolition charges are not expended in the attack.

> Deliverance Broodsurge (1CP) - Allows a unit embarked on a Goliath Truck to disembark after it moves, though for each one that disembarks roll a D6 - for every roll of 6+ the unit takes a mortal wound.
> Numbers beyond counting (3CP) - Remove a unit from the board, next turn deploy it via Cult Ambush at its full strength.
> Breaking Formation (2CP) - You may deploy a unit with the VEHICLE keyword from your army with the GENESTEALER CULTS keyword as per the Cult Ambush rules.

The relics, psychic powers (apart from Telepathic Summons from 7e) are all ports from the 7e codex.

(when asked about shooting weapons) "We did take a look at the weapons, and a number of them have been improved slightly. The mining laser is not a flat amount of damage, for example."

"There are a few new units making their way in. The gunslinger model has a number of awesome rules, I imagine it'll show up in a large number of lists."

"To be honest it's better if there's still a high level of "needs to be taken with salt" about the leaks. We can't release the whole codex in one go, and points values/new units are the worst things for us to leak. There /is/, however, a "primus-lite" model coming to the codex, for Cult Ambush guidance (though weaker than a Primus, for example no aura of +1 to hit)."

Warlord Traits from the same source (summarizing from the posted table):

1 - Warlord is -1 to be hit
2 - GSC Infantry within 6” can Heroically intervene
3 - Warlord ignores models and terrain while moving, can shoot and charge after Falling Back
4 - Start of your turn roll a D6, on a 6 Warlord heals D3 wounds, otherwise heals 1 wound
5 - 6” fearless bubble
6 - Warlord can choose their Cult Ambush result, if accompanied by a unit that same result applies to them

Edited by wildweasel, 26 October 2018 - 12:17 AM.

• Chaplain Dosjetka, MaulerUK, N1SB and 9 others like this

lythari

lythari

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts

Looks fantastic and fluffy if true.

Making an enemy vehicle auto-explode for 1CP is hilarious.  Turning off an enemy's aura ability for 3CP is steep by very worth it in some situations.

Vogon

Vogon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 385 posts
  • Faction: XX Legion
Sounds fun.

Thank you for sharing

Now choose, either die in the vacuum of space or....
Tell me how good you thought my poem was.

L_T_Legion_20.jpg gallery_48988_10980_7442.png

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,493 posts

Cheers for sharing! There's some tasty, tasty stuff in there! :D

+ ETL VI Oathbreaker +

"Suffer not the Heretic to live."

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

The Big FAQ said the Cult Codex was 'in development' so that probably puts it at least 2-4 months away.

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,493 posts

Hopefully they don't push it back to next year. I'd love for them to keep their promise of "all Codex books re-done for 8th by the end of 2018" (with the exception of Sisters, Inquisition, etc).

• Sonoftherubric21 and sfPanzer like this

+ ETL VI Oathbreaker +

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,574 posts

I hope this is true; fantastic if true. 

Certainly makes them a solid mid tier (if not possibly far higher) Codex. And thats all I can truly ask! 

I have a genestealer cult Christmas bundle and a Tooth and Claw GSC portion unbuilt and awaiting the codex eagerly. 

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,789 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

Hopefully they don't push it back to next year. I'd love for them to keep their promise of "all Codex books re-done for 8th by the end of 2018" (with the exception of Sisters, Inquisition, etc).

Was this ever actually promised? As far as I remember in the runup to the first Codexes launches they just said "it would take well over a year to get to them all".

gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_30096.jpg

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,213 posts
Looks like they may have saved the best for last.

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,493 posts
Halandaar: That's a fair question. I was under the impression it was true but perhaps not and instead it's Internet wishful thinking that has been presented as fact and happily absorbed by yours truly. :sweat:

+ ETL VI Oathbreaker +

Sweetcurse

Sweetcurse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 43 posts
Can we please get that writer to redo GK?

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,789 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

Halandaar: That's a fair question. I was under the impression it was true but perhaps not and instead it's Internet wishful thinking that has been presented as fact and happily absorbed by yours truly. sweat.gif

Hey, if it's true I certainly won't complain!

I have to say I'm looking forward to this one, I've acquired a lot of GSC models since their initial release but have been holding off for the Codex before really assembling and painting them.

• Parweke likes this

gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_30096.jpg

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,459 posts

> Strength of Faith (1CP) - 5+ feel no pain, but only vs. mortal wounds in the psychic phase.

Effin' FINALLY _something_ gets a defense vs psychic Mortal wounds! This is what ought to have been a Black Templar stratagem if not a Chapter Tactic.

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.
SuOSJCa.png
Stormbolt & Hammer
, a new Age of Sigmar Forum!

Finkmilkana

Finkmilkana

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 312 posts

Effin' FINALLY _something_ gets a defense vs psychic Mortal wounds! This is what ought to have been a Black Templar stratagem if not a Chapter Tactic.

Isn’t that a pretty common stratagem? At least a few factions have the same or even stronger versions (mechanicus knights for example have the same, it just works against all MW and not only one phase psychic).
  • sfPanzer likes this

Slan Drakkos

Slan Drakkos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 324 posts
  • Faction: III and XVIII Legions
And to think, I was just ordering some new GSC stuff yesterday. They'll be absolutely amazing if this is all true.
  • wildweasel likes this

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,459 posts

Isn’t that a pretty common stratagem? At least a few factions have the same or even stronger versions (mechanicus knights for example have the same, it just works against all MW and not only one phase psychic).

Point is, Templars, the ones who really ought to, don't have access to anything like it.

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.
SuOSJCa.png
Stormbolt & Hammer
, a new Age of Sigmar Forum!

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts

Point is, Templars, the ones who really ought to, don't have access to anything like it.

?

Yes they do. All marine armies have armour of contempt. That might not be enough but we have it.

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,858 posts

Yes they do. All marine armies have armour of contempt. That might not be enough but we have it.

For VEHICLES, sure.

Edited by wildweasel, 26 October 2018 - 03:43 PM.

Triszin

Triszin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,417 posts

that regeneration warlord trait sounds scary

• Sonoftherubric21 likes this

banana

mel_danes

mel_danes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 53 posts
So the ability to pick Cult Ambush and bring friends could be dangerous.
Patriarch and friends rend some back field units. Abominant and crew lay waste to a parking lot. Seems like a good one.

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,493 posts

that regeneration warlord trait sounds scary

They're all decent but that one stands out. Especially scary on an Abominant or Patriarch.

+ ETL VI Oathbreaker +

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,324 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Dauntless Spirit

=][=Seeing as some Frater can't take a hint, I will spell it out. Enough off topic posts. Enough bickering.

You have been warned =][=

• Juggernut likes this

Once, a Novice Cantus came to me, troubled and uncertain. A slip of a girl, only a few strides down the eternal path leading her to the Golden Throne. She asked me a question. She asked me how we can ever truly understand what faith is. I told her that there is no coin to measure what we feel in our hearts. There are no scales upon which we might weigh the faith of one woman against another. There is only duty and blood. There are only deeds and words. There is only the service to the God-Emperor, and the price that demands from each Sister can only be known by Him. But know that whatever fears must be faced, whatever hardships endured, that price is forever worth its full cost.
- Sister Katherine Elysius,
Daughter of the Emperor (later Imperial Saint Katherine)

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,877 posts
Cool stuff, another fluffy faction with some solid rules to back it up. Really bring something unique to the table too.

D3L

D3L

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 596 posts
  • Faction: XIV Legion
Just in time for 9th!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users