The Beast Arises Volume 1 - Misprint Warning

Roomsky

Got word from Reddit today, later checked my own copy to confirm, that the first Omnibus of The Beast Arises was mistakenly printed with Throneworld instead of The Last Wall. How this happened is unknown. 

Black Library has pulled the physical edition from their site, and I've heard may be working with those who bought direct on some kind of exchange, but I don't have the details. Share some info if you have it.

This is mostly here so planned buyers wait until a new edition comes out in a month or two.

Also general TBA Omnibus thread, I guess.

I was thinking about placing an Amazon preorder for the omnibuses, since ebooks don't make for particularly good shelf-fillers, but now I'm actually glad I held off for the time being. Not like Amazon would've fulfilled my preorders in a timely fashion anyway (I'm still waiting for Ciaphas Cain Vol.3, which was supposed to be out 5 or 6 weeks ago and I had on preorder for half a year....), but I'd have been mighty upset if I had to deal with the return nonsense after a late delivery as well.

Thanks for the heads up, Roomsky. It is much appreciated.

For what it's worth, I just finished the audiobook version of I Am Slaughter and I was quite impressed.  I didn't pay attention to who the author was since I had a bunch of Audible credits to burn, but as things got going I got more and more into it. Blew through it in a week. The motifs, while starting to get a little heavy handed at times (are the Imperial Fits in danger of the wolfiest wolf that ever wolfed Space Wolf treatment, but replacing "wolf" with "wall"?) they were remarkably cohesive. Likewise, the narrative never strayed too far and the pacing, characters, and setting played out quite well.

I was pleased by how the scenes of political intrigue on Terra held up to the reputation word of mouth by other readers indicated. "Peacetime" Imperium was also a novel idea that was quite juicy to start delving into. The "predicament" itself was quite well done. The pacing perfectly fed readers' expectations about how this "prologue" would go before the "real" stuff started happening, yet how such a quagmire developed narratively really reflected the views of the in-universe characters' as well. A real life lesson there, me thinks.

A charming and caring Grandmaster of Assassins, you say? Impossible!

I could only nod acknowledgement and think "of course" when I looked at the end and saw that it was Dan Abnett that wrote it. Highest compliments to him yet again.

For what it's worth, I just finished the audiobook version of I Am Slaughter and I was quite impressed.  I didn't pay attention to who the author was since I had a bunch of Audible credits to burn, but as things got going I got more and more into it. Blew through it in a week. The motifs, while starting to get a little heavy handed at times (are the Imperial Fits in danger of the wolfiest wolf that ever wolfed Space Wolf treatment, but replacing "wolf" with "wall"?) they were remarkably cohesive. Likewise, the narrative never strayed too far and the pacing, characters, and setting played out quite well.

I was pleased by how the scenes of political intrigue on Terra held up to the reputation word of mouth by other readers indicated. "Peacetime" Imperium was also a novel idea that was quite juicy to start delving into. The "predicament" itself was quite well done. The pacing perfectly fed readers' expectations about how this "prologue" would go before the "real" stuff started happening, yet how such a quagmire developed narratively really reflected the views of the in-universe characters' as well. A real life lesson there, me thinks.

A charming and caring Grandmaster of Assassins, you say? Impossible!

I could only nod acknowledgement and think "of course" when I looked at the end and saw that it was Dan Abnett that wrote it. Highest compliments to him yet again.

The series is absolutely worth checking out, though it's a very flawed product in the long run. The decision to use multiple authors in a non-sandboxy manner didn't do it many favors, it often seems as though they're fighting for figurative elbow room, contrast the heresy where multiple authors can make things feel deeper and far wider in scope. 

That said, a series-wide game of 32k politicking combined with shooting orks make for a fun and diverse read. I thought they pulled in a few too many gimmick factions/characters by the end, but overall it's a fun ride.

• 3 weeks later...

I once bought a book, Sharpe's Rifles (got to love Bernard Cornwell), that randomly started again from page one halfway through. It was a one-off though. Sort of wish I hadn't swapped it for a correct version now. 

Last year I had a preorder for Record of Lodoss War arriving on release day for a change, instead of three weeks late. Imagine my surprise when it was entirely printed in magenta ink, outside of the full color art pages. Even the internal monochrome art was magenta. I got a replacement and was allowed to keep the first arrival because the support person also thought it was funny... and the replacement was the exact same. I think the publisher did three print runs to get it right, since the second batch had other issues.

With Black Library, I seem to recall my copy of Wulfrik from Warhammer Heroes having its insert thick paper intro page flipped. WHH's first few releases had a narrower front cover, and then an inlay with white text on black, where the outer side would stick out due to the shorter cover flap, brandishing the logo. Flip it open and you'd have a character introduction of the hero or villain in question. It was a cool idea. Problem was, my Wulfrik simply had the insert page flipped, so instead of the logo, I got to see the first line or two of the introduction. Now that was strange.

....BL abandoned that entire book layout with the next entry, I believe. A pity.

Anyway, I'll be glad if the omnibus is now safe to buy. I was planning to buy new shelves anyway...

It was printed with all the necessary headers and such, the text was just wrong. If the fourth book begins with a subplot about eldar breaching the Imperial Palace, it's a misprint.

Ah.

Yeah mine seems to be a misprint then as well. Curses. I did think it was a quick turnaround but the headers and all that got me.

Disregard my previous post. Seems the misprints are still out there. It is a nice looking omnibus though for sure.

• 1 month later...

If the ebook was ever in error, I imagine it would have been fixed quickly, also evidenced by its continued availability on the actual website. Amazon lists the first omnibus as releasing on February 26th, 2019, presumably this will be the properly updated version.

• 2 months later...
The paperwork version of this is back in stock on Amazon and my copy arrived today. If Book 4 The Last Wall Chapter 1 is set in Terra - The Imperial Palace and begins "The screams had merged into a single one", has the misprint been corrected? E.g. is this actually the start of The Last Wall? Thanks!

The paperwork version of this is back in stock on Amazon and my copy arrived today. If Book 4 The Last Wall Chapter 1 is set in Terra - The Imperial Palace and begins "The screams had merged into a single one", has the misprint been corrected? E.g. is this actually the start of The Last Wall? Thanks!

Yeah that’s the start of The Last Wall. Enjoy!

The re-release hit Canadian stores with the Celebration and all is well. Seems we can finally be at ease if buying from the source. If you're buying from a third party, probably still best to make sure.

Archived