New to Thousand Sons

Shinn

Welcome aboard!

Must gets IMO (in order of priority....there happen to be nine....lol):

1. Ahriman

2. Daemon Prince (if not two, though watch for a possible nerf in December).

3. More Rubrics

4. Tzaangors (the regular Troop squad specifically, though the Shaman and Enlightened can be nice)

5. Defilers or Forgefiends

6. Terminator Sorcerer

7. Helbrutes

8. Exalted Sorcerers

9. Scarab Occult Terminators

Second the above! 

Basically everything in the book in 8th (with the exception of perhaps Vindicators...) is very good or at least decent. 

All of our HQ's are good (Exalted Sorcerers) to great (Daemon Princes/Ahriman) 

All 3 of our troop slots are very capable and you'll want Tzaangors as a melee unit and personally I would recommend having a unit of cultists kicking around if possible as well, good for smaller games, and good for bulking out the list model wise due to both goats and culitsts being relatively cheap (7 and 4 points per model respectively) 

For heavy support? Forgefiends and Defilers are both great, Helbrutes are also a good choice for relatively cheap fire support. My list has 2 Helbrutes with las/missile load out. And Forgefiends for the Thousand Sons are quite good, easy to buff and make them incredibly potent on the table. Defilers will turn anything in melee inside-out, they hit like a freight train and require minimal support. 

One thing to keep in mind that I use for list building; if you are taking and substantial number of Rubrics, I usually do not take Rubrics AND Scarab Occult in the same list.  Both fulfill almost identical roles on the table, with the only exception being that the Scarab Occult actually function decently in melee, however from a shooting perspective they are all but identical damage outputs so thats something to keep in mind. 

Other then that? welcome to the coven. 

Welcome to the Thousand Sons, nice to see KT encouraging a new army (I'd be interested in hearing about your KT experiences with Sons) :) For my part, you may want to consider what type of army you're looking to assemble. At the simpler level that's "Thousand Sons" or more "Tzeentch" with the goat bird men, but also extends to vehicle usage and daemon engines :tu:

Don't forget to post pictures ;)

• 3 weeks later...

What makes you think the DPoT gets a nerf in CA2018?

@disc for Ahriman: using a screamer of Tzeentch is also a popular option. They might be easier to come by.

Welcome to the XV Legion. All is dust.

What makes you think the DPoT gets a nerf in CA2018?

Because GW's highly sophisticated and nuanced balancing system is to look at what is most played at major events and increase its cost. As DPoTs are currently the best DPs, it's not unreasonable to expect a nerf.

Otoh, cultists are arguably a bigger deal for chaos atm, so they might leave princes alone for the time being

I agree about the DP. They are good but o don’t know if that means a nerf is necessarily incoming. I mean they are a staple unit and they are good but... too good? I don’t know I think I’d be surprised if they got nerfed.

Personally I take an Exalted Sorc on a disk. I understand they are considered suboptimal but it just feels cool and I wouldn’t be surprised if this unit got a boost from CA. I use mine purely for support and counter charge.

Dunno, it's not like you're seeing the DPs everywhere spammed like the BA Captain or the T'au Commander. The DP is strong but I doubt he's getting too much attention from GW.

I don´t think anything in our codex will be nerfed. I think we are pretty stable and if any changes will come, it will be in thing, like the psyhic phase that effects everyone. But as we are very depended on it it can effect us more (and grey knights ofc).

If GW will change anything specific for our codex I see rather some point changes, but instead of higher, I think they will lower some cost, like warp flamers cost or similiar things. we will see, soon time for december.

Anything from the codex fits the Thousand Sons theme, really.

Should you get horrors, be sure to run them in their own detachment.

A Twistbray or a regular Tzaangor  could be good for your kill team as well.

You need chaff for a lot of things but protecting? I don't really think so. Unless you're facing a melee army you can deny deep strike plenty with non-chaff units and it's not like chaff protects your valuable units from getting shot at from long ranged shooting either. ^^

This is the horde edition. Granted, bodies have always been good, but the new wound table, deep strike denial, and the death of templates has really driven up quantity over quality.

Now, this is not to say you should take as many cultists as possible in every list. But I have found that taking a pound of tzaangors is beneficial

Archived