Make a Man(iple) out of You.

One thing I'm not to sure of is whether it's best to get base colours on all four Titans and then add highlights and weathering etc. Or if it's a better plan to complete one and then move on to the next? I'd be interested to hear what you folks do.

Cheers.

Dallo

Definitely personal preference, but I like to work in big batches - and I think this won’t be the exception! I like to do them a stage at a time to help with consistency: I’ll either try to do all Titans at once, or break down by classes, and then move on thereafter rather than finish individual models.

I’ve used some building roofs as basing materials, and have tactically replaced with Plasticard where necessary!

This is taking shape nicely - I do like the way the green shade and the fact that it’s not homogeneous... I’m facing issues with the leg plates... :(

Is that the nice way of saying my green is blotchy? :p

In all seriousness, thank you for the comment. It really helps with the motivation. It's horrible when you put up what you think is a great post and all you get is silence.

I know I haven't updated this for a few days. I'll try to get an update in the next few days.

In hobby news, my building sprues arrived, and I've put some paint on one of my existing buildings as a test piece. So far, it's been under coated grey and sprayed with Mephiston Red. I'm thinking of using a bone coloured dry brush and some washes to mute the tone down, but I don't want it to just look pink. I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

Dallo

Evening folks, and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the States.

As promised, here is a quick update.

My building sprues came yesterday and I'd been planning to build a larger building with them. This building can completely hide a Warhound and covers the majority of my Reaver. I'd imagine it'll cover maybe half of a Warlord.

iB3Z85ah.jpg

There are still bits and pieces to do. I'll probably use a little Green Stuff to neaten up the join between the landing pad and the top level.

I'm not going to glue the 2x2 to the 3x3 base, so it will give me some flexibility when it comes to deploying them.

nxSAXXyh.jpg

Congratulations if you knew where the landing pad came from. It's one of the missile silo covers from the Fortress of Redemption. I ended up buying a friend of mine out of the hobby, including a Fortress, which I've since sold, but I held onto the two covers for this conversion. They're doublesided, with the Dark Angels symbol on the other side, but I didn't want to tie my terrain to any specific Legion.

C&C Welcome.

Dallo

Happy Black Friday folks. 

Thanks to Burni, my wallet is a little lighter. Who needs food anyway. :tongue.:

bnu0dWOh.jpg

Hopefully I've got enough terrain to cover a decent portion of a 4x4 board now. I'm a great believer that terrain really enhances a game and AT is certainly no exception. I was going to have to get the rule book anyway, so I may as well get it cheaper than usual.

Mendi, I'll try to grab you a decent picture next time I'm hobbying. The support structure for now is pretty simple. It's just an upended fancy buttress (like the four used on sides of the 3x3 base). I'm planning to bulk it out a little to make it look more believable.

Dallo

Afternoon all.

My wife's an amazing person. She knew I'd been talking about getting a glass cabinet from Ikea for my models so she heard someone in work talking about a cabinet that they wanted rid of, so she surprised me with this one. :blush.:

V1hHFOgl.jpg

I spent some time yesterday working on Tertio Aestus's base. I'm pretty chuffed with how it's turning out so far.

Sqt2Xu9l.jpg

The base is pretty simple. I used six spare floor panels (trimming off the access panel on the other side, so they sat flat) and glued them to the MDF.

7tvcp6Tl.jpg

I then used a knife to damage the panels around the foot.

TdboC1nl.jpg

The "ramp" is an offcut from the MDF and the walls are a chopped up ice lolly stick.

rg1Iaypl.jpg

The damaged parts of the wall are meant to suggest that the Warlord clipped the wall as it stepped over it.

The next steps are to paint the wooden areas black and prime the plastic areas with Halfords Grey Plastic Primer. Once that's done, I'll cover the other side in filler, let that dry and glue on some baking powder.

zrBmigTl.jpg

I'm planning to drill a few holes into the bare MDF and put in some pipes/fans to add a bit of visual interest.

I'm pretty happy with this basing method. It's cost me basically nothing as the MDF was an offcut and the floor pieces were spares.

Here's how the model looked when I got it.

cO8K617l.jpg?1

I think I've made it my own.

C&C welcome.

Dallo

Thanks Blood and skulls (and welcome to B&C by the way. :smile.: ). I doubt it'll sway my wife, but it may be helpful to persuade a few of my gaming buddies from work. :devil:

Great work on the base, I like it very much. As you mention fans, I carefully cut 3 out of some of the roof panels as the other side is visible. Just wanted to be able to use the fans to add to some conversions.

Thanks for the kind words. The fan suggestion is a good shout. 

Best of luck to convert her, I am on the same path here, be patient :biggrin.:

You're also trying to convert my wife? :ph34r.:

I suppose I could do with the help. :wink:

I'm taking baby steps. She's assembled a set of EtB Stormcast Eternals. Her favourite part was cleaning the moldlines. I think she's a keeper. :wub:

Love the base Dallo, looks like a better version of one of mine currently! Hope I’ll bring it up to a similar standard when it’s done...

And amazing cabinet too! Great place to display everything!

Thanks for the kind words Chaeron. The base looks pretty good, if I do say so myself, but they're really easy to do with the right tools. I used a jeweller's saw to cut the MDF to shape, standard GW clippers to cut the tiles to shape (it helps if you take a few passes and don't worry too much about keeping the bit you're cutting off in perfect condition) and some sandpaper to neaten everything up. 

I'm sure your base will look great too. The floor pieces really make it easy to make bases. 

The cabinet's pretty snazzy. Now I just need to paint a cabinet's worth of display worthy models. :teehee:

Dallo

lol, I was talking about mine :biggrin.:

Don't throw the bits you're cutting off from the tiles, they can be used again as debris

And, if your cabinet becomes too crowded, there is a simple conversion explained out there: http://fortresserioch.blogspot.com/2017/01/warhammer-modifying-ikeas-detolf-to.html

Don't throw the bits you're cutting off from the tiles, they can be used again as debris

And, if your cabinet becomes too crowded, there is a simple conversion explained out there: http://fortresserioch.blogspot.com/2017/01/warhammer-modifying-ikeas-detolf-to.html

Well that makes mildly more sense... :p

I'll certainly be keeping the offcuts, possibly for ruined buildings, possibly for more bases.

At the minute, I'm more concerned by the lack of models in my cabinet rather than too many, but I'll bear that in mind.

Thanks Mendi.

Dallo

Love the base Dallo, looks like a better version of one of mine currently! Hope I’ll bring it up to a similar standard when it’s done...

And amazing cabinet too! Great place to display everything!

Thanks for the kind words Chaeron. The base looks pretty good, if I do say so myself, but they're really easy to do with the right tools. I used a jeweller's saw to cut the MDF to shape, standard GW clippers to cut the tiles to shape (it helps if you take a few passes and don't worry too much about keeping the bit you're cutting off in perfect condition) and some sandpaper to neaten everything up. 

I'm sure your base will look great too. The floor pieces really make it easy to make bases. 

The cabinet's pretty snazzy. Now I just need to paint a cabinet's worth of display worthy models. :teehee:

Dallo

I've got some good plans for mine, but I do like the 'flooring', so may have to take a leaf out of your book there... I think the rest will be sufficiently different, but that's a longer term plan...

And easy...! Right? :whistling: I'm excited for when we've all finished tinkering with poses and bases and start getting paint everywhere! :happy.:

Well that's a really useful link, thank you.

Good evening folks.

I made a bit more progress on  my Warlord base.

Nth65SGl.jpg

So far it's just filler, baking powder, grey primer on the plastic and black undercoat on the powder.

sUtFcpvl.jpg

Here's a closeup on the "ground" texture. 

Oh, and I built a Titan to stand on it. :tongue.:

k8GVFTrl.jpg

I think there's a Plasma Warlord coming my way for Christmas from Mrs Dallo, so I'm going to leave Tertio Aestus headless for now and steal one of the heads from that kit. Probably the one on the box art.

And here's the obligatory magnets photo. He's clearly plotting something.

fOQBwRil.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Dallo

Good base, way better than mine.

Looks great on that base Dallo - brilliant work!

Thanks for the kind words folks. I'm of the opinion that a model as impressive as a Warlord deserves taking a little bit extra time on the base.

In other news, I was wondering why my rule book and buildings hadn't arrived yet given that I'd ordered them on Black Friday. It turns out they'd emailed me on Saturday telling me that my parcel was too heavy to qualify for free postage and I'd need to pay the difference for postage before they'd send it. After a few emails we decided to cancel my book order and just get the buildings which were light enough to qualify for free postage.

However, this left me without a rule book, so I did what any normal person would do. I bought a Grand Master Edition. :blush.:

Having said that, it was a very good deal and I'm planning to sell at least one of the Warlords (hopefully to one of my gaming group as a gateway into starting them into Adeptus Titanicus). I've got some 40k stuff up on eBay to fuel my AT purchases, so I should hopefully break even or there abouts.

To the people who are collecting Adeptus Titanicus. Is it hard to get a game where you're at? Do you just collect the models because they're beautiful and not for gaming? Have any of you had success with converting existing gaming buddies to play Adeptus Titanicus? If so, how?

My plan is to get a few Titans built (and hopefully painted) over the next few months and then invite a friend of mine up for a trial game or two. It'll probably just be a Warlord, warhound and perhaps a trio of Knights a side, but it will hopefully be enjoyable and if they like it, I'll hopefully have someone to play against in future. If not, I'll have some stompy robots to look pretty in my new cabinet. :teehee:

Happy hobbying.

Dallo