Make a Man(iple) out of You.

Do people think it just looks like a looted Titan? I think that’s what you folks are saying, but I’m not 100% sure. It is a worry I have, but I’m hoping it’ll be lessened once the whole model is built.

The other option is to make it “obviously human” by slapping an Aquila on it. Or something else. I’ll take another look at it tomorrow and see how it looks in the fresh light of day. Thanks for the feedback folks, please keep commenting.

Dallo

Well, for what it is worth I think it also fits more 'looted titan' than 'skull mask'.

Thanks for the honest opinion. Nothing is set in stone yet as I haven't glued the Gob on, so I can always trash the idea and use a spare "standard" head. I'll hold off for now as I think I may be able to redeem it.

Dallo

The Imperial Knight kit comes with several skull like masks - just about right size for the warlord too.  And due to there being spares you can find them ebay and bits retailers. 

Thanks for the suggestion Zhiv, I think I've got some spare Knight faceplates somewhere, though from memory, they tend to be a little on the large size. 

I really like it Dallo! It actually reminds me very much of the Iron Giant visually, rather than just 'Ork-y', so I don't think that's a bad thing? 

I feel at this point, I really need to name the Princeps "Hogarth". :p

For me it looks too Orky, but it also looks good....

I'm guessing painting the model green won't really help then? :p

Thanks for the interest, folks.

Dallo

Nice work, excellent execution! The size is good and it fits neatly.

Now, I have mixed feelings about it. "Skull mask" not really imho. Psychological warfare, definitely ("look Ork scum, your own Gods are trampling you"), although Orks can feel triggered and hence fight much harder as a result (some cool potential home rules there). "Looted Warlord", very much depends on how the rest of the Warlord looks like I think.

Green paint can accentuate the "Looted Warlord" aspect, or be seen as more psychological warfare.

Using the jaw as a trophy, like a skull hanging from the Warlord's "belt" (add some fine chains), could be a possible answer. There are very old pictures of a Chaos titan with 2 or 3 titans "skulls" hanging as trophies iirc.

One more thing, you have a draft template command terminal here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/350055-expanding-at-xenos/page-3

Could be a nice narrative scenario "Reclaim the Looted Warlord".

Edited by Mendi Warrior

The Narrative scenario idea sounds pretty cool. Part of me is tempted to just bite the bullet and make a looted Warlord. Another part of me is determined to make my idea work. 

One thought that's just occurred to me is that I could ditch the skull paint and just plaster the head in hazard stripes. To me, hazard stripes are a very "human" concept, so hopefully it would stop the head "reading" as Ork. That, and the idea of a God Engine with a head that visually screams "Danger!" is amusing to me. 

Not sure if I can pull it off, but I have some masking tape in the post, so may give it a shot.

With regards to the whole "look Ork scum, your own Gods are trampling you" idea,  Krytos are known as the God Breakers and I wanted to play off that with this visual statement of "we broke the avatar of your god", by taking Gargant parts as a trophy. I think the concept is sound, though my execution may be off a little.

Thanks again to everyone who has given their input on the head choice. I really like Bolter and Chainsword as it's a venue where people can have a constructive, polite, differing of opinions on hobby stuff and not fall out over it at the end of the day.

Dallo

For a looted warlord you'll need to "orkify" more parts of the warlord. Maybe magnets can help achieve both? Probably a pretty insane idea .. use magnets for the ork stuff (e.g. additional armour plates coming on top/in front of the Imperial ones, spikes, ...).

Keeping with a Krytos Warlord having developed a specific taste for bashing ork engines, what if you combine the head with the Ork jaw and some other jaws as trophies, put elsewhere on the titan, to emphasise both the God Breaker and special ork killer characters?

Yeah, for me - if it were looted - there'd be a lot more obvious signs that point towards repairs and improvements as part of a 'kustom' refit. I think if you wanted to really hammer home what you're suggesting (which I really like, in terms of background), there are ways of doing it: sometimes it's difficult to necessarily show that off, beyond having tiny Ork skulls attached to chains, or perhaps banners with some sort of symbolism - and perhaps crushed Ork Epic stuff (vehicles etc.) on the bases, but it's doable! 

Keep on innovating!

*Full Stride Orders*

YEXh9Jah.jpg

Morning folks, this morning I had a go at a running Warlord, inspired by Mandragola's post from a week or two back. 

I have to say, the Warlord legs are a lot more forgiving than the Reaver legs. The shin panels are not glued on, so I'm hoping to get a bit more paint on the skeleton today. If I get the time, I'd also like to make a start on the base and maybe get the powerfist assembled as Gulgoleth is looking a little lopsided. The Volcano Cannon is technically borrowed from another Titan to test the pose, so I'll need to build a gun arm too.

C&C Welcome.

Dallo

It is not really difficult to magnetise (2 3x1mm or 4x1mm magnets are perfect for this).

I'm am thinking of this should you get some "remorse" at a later stage, should you find it too "Orky" and wish to go back to a more classical head. Kind of "better safe than sorry" thinking.

The most important is for you to like it :biggrin.:

I like the ork gob and the necron tomb spyder bit as a weapon on the knight. Its look Slaaneshi to me, so I shall shamelessly nick the idea whenever I get around to some questoris knights. Well done on the running pose. Looking at your straight on photo, I think its the tilt of the body and the angle of the leg that really sell it.

Nice posing on the warlord, looks like a good weighty run!

Just in case you haven't seen, the ork-hunter concept that you're looking for is Legio Destructor's USP. I know you're going for Krytos but just wanted to show some inspiration for titans adopting orky behavior and modifying their engines; you're not alone!

It is not really difficult to magnetise (2 3x1mm or 4x1mm magnets are perfect for this).

I'm am thinking of this should you get some "remorse" at a later stage, should you find it too "Orky" and wish to go back to a more classical head. Kind of "better safe than sorry" thinking.

The most important is for you to like it :biggrin.:

Thanks for the suggestion Mendi, I may paint up a second head to see how it looks.

I like the ork gob and the necron tomb spyder bit as a weapon on the knight. Its look Slaaneshi to me, so I shall shamelessly nick the idea whenever I get around to some questoris knights. Well done on the running pose. Looking at your straight on photo, I think its the tilt of the body and the angle of the leg that really sell it.

Glad you like the conversions. Feel free to nick anything you like. I took inspiration from another member here (see shamelessly stole :tongue.: ). It's interesting that you mentioned the Slaanesh thing. I have been thinking about the God Breakers and what god(s) (if any) their Legio may fall to later. Khorne is an obvious candidate, which I may look into at some point, but for my money, it has to be Slaanesh. "God Breakers"? Hard to think of a name that conveys more hubris and pride than that. Slaanesh is a god of excess in all things, which can often be obscured by the more "obvious" tropes associated with Slaanesh. I have no immediate plans for any outright daemonic Titans,  but I'm not ruling out some subtle touches later down the line. Maybe adding a few large vox casters to recite the names and deeds of those who would destroy the enemies of Krytos.

Nice posing on the warlord, looks like a good weighty run!

Just in case you haven't seen, the ork-hunter concept that you're looking for is Legio Destructor's USP. I know you're going for Krytos but just wanted to show some inspiration for titans adopting orky behavior and modifying their engines; you're not alone!

BIG DEATH! BIG DEATH! BIG DEATH! :teehee:

I wasn't aware of that fluff, so thank you for sharing.

Great pose, very dynamic and as Achinadav said, the tilt of the body makes it believable.

I’m on the fence with the Ork jaw, but ultimately, if you like it, that’s all that matters! Go Krytos!

Thanks Semper, I'm not 100% sold on the head yet. All of the feedback has certainly given me something to think about, but I've got some time before I need to make any final decisions.

I like the pose. Reminds me of something!

I’m wary of adding parts of 40k models to titans because they are usually very recognisable. I like the idea of adding that jaw but I think it comes out quite orky-looking. Paint could change that.

I uh, couldn't possibly comment on that. :ph34r.:

Seriously though, thanks again for the pose inspiration. I'd never seen myself attempting a running Warlord, because I'd never seen any "believable" poses before now. Ensuring the supporting leg is central underneath the body mass goes a long way to achieving this. I even had a go at reposing the toes on the other foot and only snapped one! :biggrin.:

With regards to 40k parts being recognisable, it's a bit of a double edged sword. Stray too far from what people recognise as "Orky" and you don't convey what you wanted to. Stick too closely to an instantly recognisable part and you instantly devalue the "scale" of your infantry dwarfing God Engine and you break the immersion with "Why is there a bolter on the base?" I feel, based on peoples' comments, that I'm erring more towards the latter of the two, but I'll keep going with it to see how it ends.

Fantastic pose on the Titan, love the sense of dynamism it conveys!! I initially had my doubts about the jaw but its definitely growing on me, and I look forward to seeing it painted!

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you're liking my stuff.

Looks great Dallo - I feel like I want another one so it can be similar to yours and Mandragola's!

Cheers. What's one more Titan between friends at this point? :wink:

Real life has been hitting me hard this past week or two, so my hobby time has been effectively zero. I did get the chance to read through my Titandeath copy and have an (unopened) Reaver 2 sitting looking at me. It's nice to finally have the "official" colour scheme for my knights (Yellow/black if you were wondering). I may vow my three knights in the painting comp as they've been sitting undercoated for a good while now.

One thing I am toying with is using my newly acquired 3mm masking tape to experiment with some purple and black hazard stripes on my knights. Why purple and black you ask? There are a few reasons.

1. It's a homage to my (incredibly) short lived 30k Iron Warriors project, which you may recall if you've been following my stuff for a while.

2. It's a subtle hint to the Slaanesh stuff I'm thinking about, but not so overt, that I'll regret it if I choose not to go down that particular route.

3. As far as I'm aware, purple and black hazard stripes are totally unique to me throughout the entire B&C, and I like my stuff to be unique and ideally visually read as "Mine".

4. The battles of the Horus Heresy would definitely benefit from some Claire's Accessories style inspiration. :biggrin.: (Non Brits are forgiven if they need to Google this).

Here's a picture of my Iron Warrior for those who are curious. One nice point of fluff is that Krytos are known to fight alongside Iron Warriors anyway, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say they fought alongside my guys.

8dHy6dGl.jpg

C&C Welcome.

Dallo

Hi all,

Just a quick update tonight.

Recently, my painting time has been spent on some Kill Team terrain, so I haven't made much progress on my Titans.

However, I have been practising my yellow and my stripes. 

VMQAR18h.jpg?1

I've bought some modelling masking tape and it makes stripes really easy to do, if a little time consuming to apply the tape.

Expect to see more stripes on my models, when I do come back to painting Titans.

I'd really recommend the 3mm masking tape to anyone who is looking to add stripes to their models.

Dallo

Hail!

Lovely work on the running Warlord! Loving it. I think once I get around to doing my own Warlords, I will certainly have one of them be running! 

So - you recommend 3mm masking tape? Never worked with it myself, so I am kind of wondering how to go about it...

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas