Unconventional Forge World Experiences

Kozz

Hey all,  i was just curious what everyones experience has been like with the various ForgeWorlds besides Mars and Stygies.    

Last weekend i ran a Graia battalion ( Alongside Knights), mainly for access to their denial stratagem, which of course i never even had a chance to use across 5 games ( ITC Format ) . The 6+++ refusal to yield was ... useful ... occasionally, but didn't play a major role. I wish i had a chance to use the Denial Stratagem, but i never faced any Warptime dependant lists and the Eldar powers were almost ALWAYS outside of 24 of any of my units. ( Examples being Warlock Conclaves casting extended ranged powers )

Maybe others have had more useful experiences, i'd like to hear them all ! 

Cheers 

Koz

I've tried both Graia and Metallica for not dissimilar reasons.

Metallica

Being mostly on-foot and slow, and usually having a nice solid 40 Skitarri (strictly, 30 Vanguard on the move, 2*5 Rangers laying down some backfield sniper fire) to run about the tabletop, I was drawn to Metallica's benefit of no-loss-of-effectiveness-when-advancing trait.

The problem was... it didn't feel like I was making much use of it. My troops were a bit faster, but I could live with them being slow if I also was allowed even a Goliath or three to careen about in. As such, I was immediately drawn to the Lucius and Stygies stratagems. (But I don't especially care for the way I'd need to operate to maximise benefit from their stratagems, so those directions felt like an odd deal with some sort of mechanical devil - selling my soul, but not for what I actually want.)

Lucius seemed a bit more suitable to my style, but at the same time, teleporting things in also didn't feel quite right for me, and I wasn't too fussed with Lucius itself. More, if I was doing a Lucius army properly, I feel I ought to have 'divine light of Sollex' sort of stuff on the go - Skitariii converted from Van Saar and Escher gangers, that sort of thing.

----

Graia

In that manner, I then got to Graia. It, at least, chimed with my personality (if not my play style!).

Which is to say: refusal to yield. Insisting that I'm right, despite... being on fire, down a hole, with people shooting at me. You know how it goes...

That pig-headedness at least vaguely appeals to me, and I'm arrogant enough to imagine that I'm being super-logical, despite not necessarily being actually logical.

It's a bit of a cheapening of Graia in principle to assume that they're actually machine-fanatics and as (if not more) illogical than the next machine-man.

But on the upside, whilst Graia doesn't actually give me many material benefits that are useful in changing my play style, they at least prevent my units from getting tabled in a rather endearing way.

That is: psychological warfare.

The Graia trait can't at all be relied upon to do what you want it to do, but there's a fair chance it might just irritate the hell out of your opponent and goad them into making... questionable decisions.

----

In that respect, I think I should use Metallica a whole lot more - I certainly want to be all about Metallica.

But practically? Graia's the more fun of them. Inasmuch as it's nice to low-key irritate your opponent by confounding their victories.

I'd rather be able to reliably beat them in a style I enjoy, but I can cope for a time by wielding an army that improbably, and sometimes laughably: refuses to yield.

I've got a notion about giving Ryza a go at some point too - as I really want Fistellans to be fun (or vaguely effective) to play. But I'm not there yet...

I like Graia and Metallica both.

I had one funny game with Graia. My Infiltrators had a fist fight with some Emperors Children. The Marines killed all but the Princeps who in return killed 2 Marines. A turn later he killed the Princeps, but he refused to yield and killed another Marine. Next turn he died again, only for me to roll another 6. End of the story: The lone Princeps killed 5 Heretic Astartes in cc :whistling:

Metallica can catch your opponent off guard. At least my opponents never expect me to charge forward, so they have been surprised when I had my Vanguard, Plasma and Jazzhands in Range turn 1 supporting my Knights. Metallica is  realy fun to play with.

But with both Forgeworlds I think the WLTs are more outstanding than the Dogmas. Metallica is good to avoid having your Onagas stuck in melee, Graia adds some "close combat" damage.

I've been using Metalica quite a lot, and I find it pretty useful. 

Lots of Vanguard, as Xisor says. The added mobility means I can deploy them pretty conservatively (ie not get boltered to death T1), then get them where I need them in the next couple of turns. Handy for hustling onto an objective, or getting those plasma calivers into range when they're needed.

Has anyone made some experience with running Ryza?

With the rumored change to the Stygies trait and/or an point decrease for Destroyers I could see testing them in the future.

Ive had zero attempts at Ryza yet.. 

My thoughts exactly... i was looking at my poor lonely destroyers / breachers last night, wondering when GW will help them find a home in a list competitively. Unlikely that would ever be the case, but i look forward to fielding them again soon. What Forgeworld would suit them best ? 

What is the rumored change to the Stygies trait?

All -1 to hit traits will be changed to being counted as if being in cover, which would be a big blow for Stygies (especially since we already have Shroudpsalm)

All -1 to hit traits will be changed to being counted as if being in cover, which would be a big blow for Stygies (especially since we already have Shroudpsalm)

Legit or internet rumors? Either way thanks for the info. Makes me wonder why they added dakka dakka if impossible to hit ork shooting isn't going to be a thing.

Legit or internet rumors? Either way thanks for the info. Makes me wonder why they added dakka dakka if impossible to hit ork shooting isn't going to be a thing.

For sure, that 'Dakka Dakka' rule made me think that  -to hit modifiers are here to stay. 

Ryza is the only Forgeworld I've used to any great degree so I'll add my experience in. The re-roll wounds of one in combat is nice if you plan on running Dragoons, okay on Vanguard, haven't run anything else that makes use of them to any great degree.

The reason I like Ryza is Vanguard plus plasma strat for first turn nuking. Advance, pop bonus to hit for +2 (always take the data tether with plasma), use Ryza strat, delete a tank turn one. Then when they get blown away slam the dragoons into the enemy line and give them the +2 to hit and watch three models get 18 wounds on the enemy. Actually took a detachment with my Scions and a knight to the previous LVO and they did pretty good overall.

Archived