AT Chat, Lists, and Conversions For All Stompy Robot Lovers

Fajita Fan

Got some games in this weekend testing out the rules for Krytos and Vulpa, highlights include a pair of wounded Hounds stumbling to block the enemy Reaver with Vital Cargo from advancing and dying either to Thermal Mines as they charged or via getting hit by the bits from the one that stepped into the mines. But they did create a whole field full of Difficult Terrain for the enemy to cross, which combined with my Quake missile armed Reaver nearby meant that the enemy courier was moving a mighty 2" if it pushed... Also MVP apocalypse missile silo killed two engines and a Cerastus! Quake missiles are brutal when your enemy needs to get anywhere and get fired by a backfield commander that doesn't get shot at that much since the enemy is too busy dealing with the aggressive Hounds at the front. Also pretty much all three knight banners, mostly Cerastus, got vaporized on turn two as they lined up midfield for some charges but got all sorts of scattering Volcano Cannons and Meltas triple-critting on them. It's a tough world out there for a poor lonesome Knight long way from home.

Second game was Vulpa vs. Astorum where we pretty much blasted the city centrum to ashes by accident. Lots of Melta Cannons and stray lasers quickly turned half a dozen large blocks to dust and dangerously exposed the Astorum engines for my Hound packs. Both had Vital Cargo as the objective, but Astorum got on the back feet from the word go as I held the situation in control and succeeded in isolating parts of their line to use local numerical superiority where it mattered and they were soon overwhelmed. My only lost unit was the doublefisting Ruina Superborum, who took the brunt of the enemy fire while fighting 1 vs 3 with only a pair of Cerastuses to aid it. Boy does Vulpa make close combat deadly with Disruption Fields and personal traits that benefit from being hurt! Ruina was smacking str 11 chainfist about and pretty much tore one of its Astorum ilk apart (one point shy) as it in retaliation tore, kicked and shot every single weapon from Ruina to bits before it too went down under Cerastuses. And even then it took one down with it and managed to break my Reaver's ankles out of spite. Amidst the carnage, Astorum's Senioris decided the mission to be lost and withdrew with their last two surviving engines even as the Hounds of War came closing in.

I'm excited to try a full Warlord Myrmidon with Krytos, where the point is to First Fire as much as possible in the beginning to use their stratagems and wipe all cover from the opposing side of the table and turn it to Dangerous Terrain as well as Quakelock things down over there. Knights could run some screening skirmish there to let the big guns sing. The other would probably be a Corsair maniple from Vulpa, a bunch of highly mobile Reavers with at least a fist each coming at you with Disruptors is tasty...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm going to a tournament at the end of the month. 1750 points. So far I've only played two games so my experience is sorely lacking! I don't really expect to do well but it should be fun and it would be great just to play three games.

The list I'm planning to bring features an axiom maniple with only one reaver titan and an additional warlord.

I play as Legio Astorum. This is partly why I'm bringing two warlords - they work pretty well thanks to my better repairs and increased speed.

What do you think of this list?

Axiom Maniple

Warlord Titan 500  

Belicosa Volcano Cannon     

Sunfury Plasma Annihilator      

Apocalypse Missile Launchers         

Reaver Battle Titan  320  

Melta Cannon    

Gatling Blaster   

Turbo Laser Destructor          

Warhound Titan 220  

Vulcan Mega-bolter    

Plasma Blastgun        

Warhound Titan 220  

Plasma Blastgun    

Vulcan Mega-bolter    

Reinforcements            

Warlord Titan 485  

Arioch Titan Power Claw  

Paired Gatling Blasters 

The power claw on the second warlord is very questionable! I've got 5 points spare and I think it would be a lot better to have a macro-gatling blaster instead - but I don't have one. I guess I might be able to put one together in time. Alternatively I could run him with the exact same volcano/plasma/missile set up as my other warlord, though I'd have to swap the reaver's laser for a missile launcher.

Or should I throw out this plan completely and do something else? I'd consider dropping the second warlord for a reaver and some knights, though I haven't painted any of the little guys. C+C most welcome.

Edited by Mandragola

I would advise against the fist before you get a few more games in. To get Warlords in position to use them you need pretty tight play there or they are just outmaneuvered, unless properly supported in a corraling move by your other forces. Might be better to go shooty, at least in a tournament environment. Using 24" range midfield brawling guns is reasonably hot with Astorum, as you can get there on your first turn and start dishing pain on their lighter elements. Use plasma-Hounds to fend off knights that try to sneak near, destroy their engines' shields with the midfield Lord and knock 'em cold (hot?) with the melta-Reaver.

It'll be fine :P

Yeah that does ring true to be honest. I've used my power claw warlord in both the games I've played and he's never made it into combat. It's a problem. In some scenarios he's valuable because he scares people away from wherever he is, and draws a lot of fire away from my hounds. But it's a lot of points to spend on a warlord that doesn't shoot, lots of the time. A melee reaver probably does a lot of the same good stuff but at much less of a loss to shooting. It might even get across the board with some 11" moves, and as part of the Axiom maniple I won't necessarily have to give it orders first.

Here's another version then, coming to exactly 1750:

Axiom Maniple

Warlord Titan 500  

Belicosa Volcano Cannon

Apocalypse Missile Launchers

Reaver Battle Titan 295  

Gatling Blaster    

Reaver Titan Chainfist

Vulcan Mega-bolter

Warhound Titan 220  

Vulcan Mega-bolter

Plasma Blastgun          

Warhound Titan 220  

Plasma Blastgun

Vulcan Mega-bolter

Reinforcements

Warlord Titan 515  

Belicosa Volcano Cannon

Paired Gatling Blasters

Edited by Mandragola

Not sure on the points but for the second Warlord why not try a different loadout? I also have a tournament at the end of the month but it's at 1250 and my Warlord is using Apoc Missiles, Volcano and Quake Cannon because it looks fun :D and it might get lucky and twist someone out of the way or knock them back!

Yeah I’d like to do that. I had an idea to convert a quake cannon but I haven’t now I’ve seen the official one that’s on the way.

I reckon that plasma and volcano kid a decent armament anyway. As Astorum I should be able to get into range and manage my reactors fairly well. I think quake cannons are a great option for defensor with their ability to fire at the start of the game. They don’t make a lot of sense for titans that are advancing.

My list has been tweaked a bit and I have dropped the Warlord (still need to build the chuffer) and added an extra Reaver and a small Imperial Knight Banner:

1250 Points

Legio Defensor

Venator Maniple

Reaver 310

Gatling Blaster, Laser Blaster, Turbo Laser Carapace (not the greatest since I glued the arms on when I first built it :sad.: )

Warhound 220

Plasma Blast Gun, Vulcan Megabolter

Warhound 220

Inferno Gun, Turbo Laser (I may switch it to match the other Hounds guns but not sure if I have enough cards for doubling up loadouts, will double check tonight)

Reinforcements

Reaver 315

Chainfist, Apoc Missile Launcher, Melta Cannon

Imperial Knight Banner 160

Whatever weapons are in the box

This list is using Battlescribe so the points might be a bit off and the second Reaver isn't built yet and has access to all currently released guns. Previously the list was pretty much the same but had a Warlord with Volcano Cannon, Quake Cannon and Apoc Missiles - that might be better using Defensors rules so it gets a free shot with something but I bought the Knights this morning and wanted to squeeze them into the list. Does the list look ok? Not aiming to win every game but not wanting to get wiped out :tongue.:

edit: the Warlord was going to be used as a bit of a distraction, to blast knights and help lower void shields so the Warhounds can finish them off to give the Reaver free shots . 

Edited by Reyner

I think the list is fine. As you point out, you’re not really making great use of one of your traits, since most of your guns will be out of range at the start of the game. For that to work at full effect you probably want to mainly use reavers and warlord’s, since they can shoot a long way and deal with the heat they generate. Even if a warhound could shoot it might not want to, as it’s likely to cook itself.

The good news is that you’re likely to be able to get the +1 to command values trait quite a lot, since it triggers when any of your units dies. Bringing a lot of small units makes that likely to happen, and not too awful when it does. This doesn’t mean you should throw your guys away of course!

You might want to build your second reaver with volcano cannon and melta arms, and lasers on the roof. Then it could fire the volcano cannon as it’s early shot. That’s likely to be quite bad for its reactor though.

I think I’d want the guy with the melta to lead a venator maniple though, as that’s a perfect weapon to fire at something that just lost its shields. A laser blaster won’t do anything like as much, though it’s ok for targeting a damaged location.

Edited by Mandragola

Yeah I was thinking that, I'll shuffle things around. I would like to use the Warlord but Knights and an extra Reaver might be a bit more entertaining. I'm going to magnetise the second reaver anyway so loadout won't be an issue unlike the first one :) 

I've swapped the Reavers round now and given the one leading the Venator Maniple Volcano Cannon (for sneaky early Defensor shot damn the reactor!) and Melta Cannon. H's likely to explode a lot but it'll be a laugh!

Edited by Reyner

Cool. That ought to be a playable list. You'll need to get close, which can be tricky, but it's doable.

A thought on the warhounds actually. I'd make sure that each one has a vulcan mega bolter. That's easily the best weapon for knocking down shields, which is their job. Any of hte other weapons is probably ok, though plasma is my favourite.

so, while I personally focus more on just the hobby/arts&crafts side of GW products, I still want my titans to be equiped effectively for "lore" reasons.

what is the current meta's opinion on what weapons go best with the Power/chain-fist/claw(both for the other arm and the carapace)? I assume people have been proxying in the unreleased weapons enough to have figured it out by now.

(preferably I'd like to use energy weapons, sense my homebrew lore for my Titan Legion is that their homeworld was ravaged by civil war to the point that their is almost no supporting industrial infrastructure left, and therefore missile and projectile weapons have all run dry, or are reserved for use only the most critical of circumstances, leaving only laser, plasma, and melee options viable for most of their Titans, so if there are any stratagems/traits/etc. that would fit with that theme, such as better reactor management, that would also be nice)

Edited by RipOffProductions

what is the current meta's opinion on what weapons go best with the Power/chain-fist/claw(both for the other arm and the carapace)? I assume people have been proxying in the unreleased weapons enough to have figured it out by now.

The gatling is a solid one, help strip the shields prior to wrecking face, but if that's the lore you're going with then the melta might work. Not amazing on dropping the shields but if you're at close range and can't quite get close enough it means you can still do some serious damage.

For the carapace, I've heard good things about the turbolaser for dropping shields at mid-range prior to closing. I've only used the missiles myself but it sounds reasonable in theory. This could be a constraint from a lot of folks having it from the box though.

The gatling is a solid one, help strip the shields prior to wrecking face, but if that's the lore you're going with then the melta might work. Not amazing on dropping the shields but if you're at close range and can't quite get close enough it means you can still do some serious damage.

For the carapace, I've heard good things about the turbolaser for dropping shields at mid-range prior to closing. I've only used the missiles myself but it sounds reasonable in theory. This could be a constraint from a lot of folks having it from the box though.

Why would you care about the shields if this is about fists? Those don't care about shields, as you're always under them if it's relevant.

Fists require commitment to work, either by you running in or knowing you're going to get ran at or your potential is wasted. Turbolasers generally lack the volume to go through shields alone and are best used to force 5+'s when the target is already failing or to put some aimed mid-strength pain on already damaged bits, I've found. For all around mayhem, can't go wrong with melta and missiles.

Well, I do look forward for this! :yes:

indeed, here's to hoping that the resin weapons are also coming soon, and maybe the other Carastus varients(wasn't there some rumor or interview that said they'd be in plastic? if true then they aren't coming this week sense then they'd have been featured in the article for the upcoming pre-orders)

Why would you care about the shields if this is about fists? Those don't care about shields, as you're always under them if it's relevant.

Fists require commitment to work, either by you running in or knowing you're going to get ran at or your potential is wasted. Turbolasers generally lack the volume to go through shields alone and are best used to force 5+'s when the target is already failing or to put some aimed mid-strength pain on already damaged bits, I've found. For all around mayhem, can't go wrong with melta and missiles.

thanks, good points all around, I was wondering what he was talking about Void Shields for when melee ignores them anyway.

Just a heads up, if you're looking for cool Knight head alternatives try these out:

https://bitsofwar.com/home/621-skull-drones.html

You just need to cut a bit off the back. You could also use GW Servo Skulls. I'm currently assembling some more Questoris Knights and I'm making some Gallants, so IG Power Fists come in handy for this as well.

Edit: FW 30K Power Fists work as well and have more posing options.

Edited by DuskRaider

Doom of Molech - whats in the book

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/16/doom-of-molech-whats-in-the-book/

Just a heads up, if you're looking for cool Knight head alternatives try these out:https://bitsofwar.com/home/621-skull-drones.html

You just need to cut a bit off the back. You could also use GW Servo Skulls. I'm currently assembling some more Questoris Knights and I'm making some Gallants, so IG Power Fists come in handy for this as well.

Edit: FW 30K Power Fists work as well and have more posing options.

Ooh, nice! Edited by Parweke

Doom of Molech is not even yet on pre-order and I am already setting my eyes on the potential news that would come from the Warhammer Fest event, AT preview seminar announced for Saturday May 11 at 1pm

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/17/warhammer-fest-seminar-schedule/

Anyone going who can share the information they pass on there?