AT Chat, Lists, and Conversions For All Stompy Robot Lovers

Fajita Fan

Because RAW, Knights never have to turn. They have a 360 deg Front Arc, and Charge order does not say "straight line" like Full Stride does, instead it limits you to your Front Arc. They even define turning as pivoting the model, which Knights never need to do because mechanically it makes no difference if they moonwalk into their enemies. "No turning" does not mean no moving diagonally, which Knights can do to any direction because of a fully circular Arc...

You see where that goes. Their RAI cuts shenanigans down, their RAW does nothing on that front.

I think I always assumed that knights could charge 360° (so the first 'turn' they do is moot) but that the actual line they take had to be straight (i.e. no 'turns' of 1-45° during the move) and that seems to be borne out by this FAQ, are you saying that it's not the case?

I hope I'm not being frustratingly dumb, I've not played any games with knights yet. I promise I'm not being difficult on purpose!

No worries, they are somewhat counterintuitive at bits.

What I mean is this:

We have a Knight model with its head facing North. I move it to East without changing its facing. Then I move it to South-West followed by South-East, all the while keeping its head towards North. Technically, the model never turned and moved within its Front Arc, because that is 360 degrees. This is a legal RAW Charge, which counteracts GW's attempt in rectifying it because they seem to think the models always go in head first or something, which is never required in the rules as written.

Aha gotcha, thanks for your explanation! I was trapped in the charge-means-forward paradigm alongside the rules team.

Edited by Gore Crow

I'll still argue that the rules team got it right. Knights have a 360 arc, to turn they need to pivot 45 degrees, this can't be done since they do not have a defined front arc that you can measure from. Hence they can't perform the action "and must continue their movement in a straight line".

Note that it says the same direction in the rules, constantly changing directions by "moving in it's 360 front arc" is clearly still changing directions.

so, question, in you guys' opinions is the Grand Master Edition worth it to someone who already has the core rules when it comes to being a money saving deal? sure 2 Warlord Titans are nice, but they both have the same load out as the one I already have... really the terrain, battlefield assets, and command terminals+weapon cards are probably the most desirable parts of the box to me.

EDIT: wait, actually the dice are probably the most desirable part sense that abosultely can't be bought anywhere else besides a second copy of the core rules

In view of the most desirable parts of the box to you, I think the GME is still worth it. You basically save £80 with the GME vs the individual components (1 rule set @£35 + 2x Warlord @ £65 + 2x Knights @ £20 + 2x Civitas Imperialis box @ £25). Now, if you want other weapons' load outs, then you need to add their costs, let's say you add a frame with plasma annihilators @ £26 and one macro gatling blaster and one quake cannon @ £14 each, this reduces the saving to £26. Total spending is £229.

I'll still argue that the rules team got it right. Knights have a 360 arc, to turn they need to pivot 45 degrees, this can't be done since they do not have a defined front arc that you can measure from. Hence they can't perform the action "and must continue their movement in a straight line".

Note that it says the same direction in the rules, constantly changing directions by "moving in it's 360 front arc" is clearly still changing directions.

That's not true, though. A turn, as defined in the game rules, changes orientation and has nothing to do with the direction of a move. Consider this: a Reaver titan facing North moves 3" directly forwards, then diagonally 2" to North-East while still facing North. This is a legal example from movement rules and no turning nor moving outside of Front Arc happened. Now take a Knight with 360 degree Arc and the same applies to all directions without problems. This is only a problem because of the 360 deg Arc.

This is what many hold counterintuitive, see the Knight example above. RAI is different, because GW uses wrong words to explain a thing they want to convey.

so, question, in you guys' opinions is the Grand Master Edition worth it to someone who already has the core rules when it comes to being a money saving deal? sure 2 Warlord Titans are nice, but they both have the same load out as the one I already have... really the terrain, battlefield assets, and command terminals+weapon cards are probably the most desirable parts of the box to me.

EDIT: wait, actually the dice are probably the most desirable part sense that abosultely can't be bought anywhere else besides a second copy of the core rules

In view of the most desirable parts of the box to you, I think the GME is still worth it. You basically save £80 with the GME vs the individual components (1 rule set @£35 + 2x Warlord @ £65 + 2x Knights @ £20 + 2x Civitas Imperialis box @ £25). Now, if you want other weapons' load outs, then you need to add their costs, let's say you add a frame with plasma annihilators @ £26 and one macro gatling blaster and one quake cannon @ £14 each, this reduces the saving to £26. Total spending is £229.

The GME is worth it if you'll use all of it. I've got it and I don't use it all, so it kind of wasn't a good purchase.

I would always recommend the battle group and rules set because it's an efficient way to get dice, cards and terminals. However if what you really want are more knights, titans and buildings then the GME is a good option.

That's not true, though. A turn, as defined in the game rules, changes orientation and has nothing to do with the direction of a move. Consider this: a Reaver titan facing North moves 3" directly forwards, then diagonally 2" to North-East while still facing North. This is a legal example from movement rules and no turning nor moving outside of Front Arc happened. Now take a Knight with 360 degree Arc and the same applies to all directions without problems. This is only a problem because of the 360 deg Arc.

This is what many hold counterintuitive, see the Knight example above. RAI is different, because GW uses wrong words to explain a thing they want to convey.

Fair point. Good thing that the RAI is clear enough in the FAQ anyway. And I for one will play it that way because without it knights ruin the game :)

Yeah, anyone playing it against the clearly stated intent is sort of a twat, so straight Charges it is from now on :)

Still a funny example of how it's sometimes hard to spell out what a designer means in their head, as the mechanical implementation might not have any "obvious" restrictions the designer knows "to be there".

I’d still argue that it’s as clear as day RAW and RAI. I see your argument about turning etc but the fact that it states they must move in a straight line means there can be no change in direction as that wouldn’t be a straight line. Clears it right up for me.

The second part of the description about moving into combat just means they can move into close range normally. On some of the groups on FB I have seen people argue if over that and I think they missed the point.

The GME is worth it if you'll use all of it. I've got it and I don't use it all, so it kind of wasn't a good purchase.

I would always recommend the battle group and rules set because it's an efficient way to get dice, cards and terminals. However if what you really want are more knights, titans and buildings then the GME is a good option.

Absolutely true.

Also, taking into account discounts from online third parties, you can most probably end up with more for the same total spending amount (except for GW/FW direct stuff which you can't buy with a discount I think). If I were to start and not have interest in knights, I would go for the battlegroup, the rules set and the civitas imperialis administratum sector. All depends on personal tastes and objectives in terms of which models you want in the end of course.

Yes, it is. If I remember correctly it was listed as available as long as there is demand for it, which I assume is still strong.

I had a quick look on a few online retailers. Darksphere, Elementgames have it, Wayland has 10+ listed on its website with 20% discount, and an additional 5% Easter extra until the 30th if not mistaken. Darksphere also has the GME with a nice discount, not sure how much postage costs though.

I should have looked myself! Thanks Mendi, I passed links for Dark Sphere and Element over to him. I had nothing but issues and delays with Wayland so would never recommend them to anyone.

I’m really happy he enjoyed the game so much he’s looking to buy some titans! Will be great to get regular games in.

Those of who you have done trenches on your bases, how wide you have made them? In reasonable units (mm) please!

I cheated. I just used window packers and spaced them out to leave a gap where the trenches run. The rear of window packers (like broadfix) look like metal flooring when painted up and the front are shaped like bulkheads so they are useful for necromunda as well.

I should have looked myself! Thanks Mendi, I passed links for Dark Sphere and Element over to him. I had nothing but issues and delays with Wayland so would never recommend them to anyone.

I’m really happy he enjoyed the game so much he’s looking to buy some titans! Will be great to get regular games in.

You are welcome! Always good to have more people joining the Titan Legios :biggrin.:

So far, I haven't experienced any issues with Wayland (fingers crossed for it to stay like that), delays one or two times when I added "restock expected" items to my shopping cart. As the waiting time can be lengthy for these, I now avoid them and only go for items which are in stock when I place an order. 

The tournament/gameday on Saturday was great fun :D I came dead last! Best moment my badly damaged Reaver killed an enemy Warhound which stumbled forward and collapsed into the Reaver and killed it, then my Reaver stumbled around and crushed one of my Warhounds! Loved it but I didn't make good use of the Venator maniple at all and terrible dice rolls meant my melta Reaver missed so many of his free shots xD

Im doing a new force for a game tomorrow

Warlord with Lasblasters and x2 Sunfury, going to upgrade the blasters with Experimental weapon to give them Maximal and also use the new Overcharged strat on it, giving me 6 str 12 shots :) add the 2 Sunfurys and thats alot of High strength shots at an unshielded target.

Also 2 reavers with chainfist and Melta in a Fortis maniple with the Warlord, so the Reavers can shield share when marching up the field

To finish the force, Lupercal maniple with 4 Warhounds with mixture of bolters and plasma for shield stripping

Knowing my luck the Warlord will cook itself but it'll hit like a ton of bricks

I built my FW weapons over the weekend and got them sprayed up - will post some photos soon.

The upper arms as exactly like the plastic versions (apart from the 'bicep' being one piece instead of two). They fit together in same manner as the plastic ones. Not sure if that info is useful to anyone but there it is!

The rear half of the Gatling is one solid bit of resin and I was worried about the weight but the magnets hold it just fine. In fact the weight doesn't actually seem that different to the Sunfury in the hand.

Had some experience using the new guns yesterday. I ran a quad-gatling warlord and one with quake and volcano cannon. I had a third with plasma and bellicosa, plus a reaver, making a 1750 point Myrmidon maniple. One of the nice things about the new guns is that they are cheap, making this possible.

The quad gatling warlord was fun, and looks awesome, but probably isn’t a great load-out. You have an awful lot of shots but nothing with the strength needed to break that first hole in a target’s armour. However the ordnance effect makes the gatling a really good finisher against a damaged location, because when all you need to do is land a hit, you can count on it to do something. You can also potentially get +1 to hit, to make it easier to land those targeted shots. In future I won’t run double-gatling though. You want it paired with something else to blast that initial hole.

The quake cannon seemed good. Actually the only time I saw the quake effect matter it was when another warlord with one wildfired, and shot a nearby friendly warhound from inside its void shields. But the rest of the time it was just a useful gun to be able to fire any time, with no taxing of the reactor. And it makes for a very cheap warlord. In my maniple it was really useful to have this guy who was happy to hang back and fire, particularly when some knight lancers outflanked behind me. He dealt with them very effectively.

I keep being unimpressed by bellicosas. It seems pretty routine for warlords armed with them to blow themselves up, and that happened again in a game yesterday. It just takes one turn where you have a bad servitor roll or a double reactor push and the titan is in real trouble. Even when they do hit an unshielded titan they don’t always do all that much, as they can often just damage a gun or roll a superficial hit. A melta on a reaver just seems like a better gun, for a fraction of the price. Warlord titans are just so much better when they aren’t using all their power (and all their repair rolls just to fire their guns.

I think my favourite weapon set up is going to be sunfury and gatling on a warlord, with missiles or possibly gatling guns on the roof. That’s a horrible titan to be shot by.

I was running a reaver too, with gatling, laser blaster and missiles. Its guns were too low-strength really and it didn’t feel like much of a threat to anything. So in future I’ll save 10 points by dropping a bellicosa for a sunfury, and spend it upgrading that laser blaster to a melta. That’ll give me two warlords with sunfury and gatling, one with bellicosa and quake, and a reaver with melta and gatling. Should be a decent list, I think.

Edited by Mandragola

I have ran my warlord with apoc launchers, belicosa and quake cannon for a while. It’s cheap hits hard even on average rolls. You can manage the reactor well as it can hold its position and worry about its shields and the belicosa. It tends to get ignored as the enemy are firing at the reavers and Warhounds. Just my experience.

Nice little article on terrain

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/30/adeptus-titanicus-terrain-101fw-homepage-post-1/

I particularly like the combination of the Civitas Imperialis with the statues from the Sector Imperialis Sanctum. There is also one with a statue from the Basilicanum on Instagram if not mistaken.

TitanicusScenery-Apr23-40kComboTerrain2u