Are commissars worth taking again?

Wassa

Are they worth taking for a cadian regiment?

They give a leasership 8 to all units within 8” which works out to be +1. This is good. (Not great for catachans though).

Allows you to kill 1 man and retake the moral test. I can’t see this being super effective?

The commissar tank seems great giving a Leadership 9 though it does cost CP.

What gets me is only being allowed to do that reroll once per game per unit. And it’s only a 6” bubble.

For 16 points it’s not awful, far better than it was. I love the commissar tank option, Ld9 is really good for your screens!

Another decent choice is the Lord Commissar (if you have a spare HQ slot).

Commissars are OK for their points. I use them to fill up the Elit Slot or use the Lord Comissar to fill the HQ Slot.

The Moral buff of  +1 or if you use the Lord Comissar +2 is nice. The Re-roll mechanic isn't that great. It won't stop a nearly death unit from Running or make much a difference on a Unit with only some casualties.

I myself use them to take objectives in the Late game, when all the Squads are dead they should have buffed. 

Yeah I'm taking a mass of infantry so I think it may be worth it.

Am I right in thinking it's best to swap the bolt pistol with a bolt gun for the same points?

Yeah I'm taking a mass of infantry so I think it may be worth it.

Am I right in thinking it's best to swap the bolt pistol with a bolt gun for the same points?

You are entirely correct- bolt guns on most AM characters are pretty much the best '1 point' you can spend in the army. 

If you have a lot of infantry I think the +1 morale pays for them quite quickly and that's ignoring the benefits having an extra character opens up- much easier to hide 1 guy to charge from out of LoS to deny overwatch than a squad (I'm consistently amused by how many people let you charge their tanks with Guard squads). 

What gets me is only being allowed to do that reroll once per game per unit. .

Huh?
“The first time a unit fails a morale check...”

You can reroll one failed morale check, after that one, no more execution

It reads: the First time a unit fails a moral test during the moral phase....

I know it is missleading but in fact this sentense only says you can't roll a second time in the same phase for the same unit.

If you look this rule up in different languages in every one it is pretty clear.

I would just but this on GW and their unclear rule writhing.

What gets me is only being allowed to do that reroll once per game per unit. .

Huh?
“The first time a unit fails a morale check...”

You can reroll one failed morale check, after that one, no more execution

It reads: the First time a unit fails a moral test during the moral phase....

I know it is missleading but in fact this sentense only says you can't roll a second time in the same phase for the same unit.

If you look this rule up in different languages in every one it is pretty clear.

I would just but this on GW and their unclear rule writhing.

Interesting. I always interpreted it the other way. Not that it matters to my Catachans, their commissars always seem to go missing

As an aside, boltguns and storm bolters are always worth considering. If they kill one of anything they make their points back, even if its just a cultists.

I'll agree with you on the bolters but storm bolters aren't in the IG codex (aside from vehicles and Yarrick.) Still, a bolter takes full advantage of a commissar's decent BS.

I converted my lord commissar to look like a permanent attachment to a scion regiment using a scion as the base and adding a few bits here and there and giving him a paint job to make him stand out and to be fair they don't have to kill much to get there points back and they can handle things like scouts, stealth suits and other smaller style threats pretty easy I find.

I have moved back to using pure infantry and I never leave home without my commissars now. Moral is a big issue for me and I don't want to give away free "kills" to my opponent through battleshock. 

However, I find commissars most important use is as emergency power weapons. Sometimes you just need a power weapon to help do the last wound to a damaged enemy unit and a commissar with power sword and bolter is only 20pts. Also there is nothing cooler then  a commissar leading a bayonet charge waving his power sword about! :D  

• 3 weeks later...

I played a game last night where I tried taking a Lord Commissar and a regular Commissar. I played infantry heavy Cadians; 9 Infantry Squads, and 2 30-man Conscript Squads. I also had two command squads, both with Regimental Standards to help boost Ld a little further. I haven't used any Commissars since the big nerf dropped, but the combination of having the option to perform a Summary Execution (rather than being forced to), and the price drop from the Big FAQ, I think they're worth it again. I'm leaning towards the Lord Commissar  possibly being a better choice simply because they're an HQ choice; which in my case is a stronger argument than just the increased stats. I don't know about you guys, but I find that my Elites slots fill up faster than I'd like! Commissars haven't quite gone back to being an "auto-include" in my lists, but if I can spare the points I'll probably start fielding them again from now on. 

Now, if they'd only drop the price of Conscripts to 3 pts again, I would have one less thing to complain about, lol! :rolleyes:

Archived