Are commissars worth taking again?

Wassa

I'm amazed people can fill their elite slots - a normal battalion has 6 and it's not uncommon to run double battalion from more than 1k (hell my 1k list includes double bat).

I struggle to fill my elite spots.

Sure we got Command Squads and Special Weapons Squads, but they're just tiny squads of men with expensive guns who will be prime targets for the enemy.

While other factions tend to have tougher elites which help them with this problem.

Unless I foresee a reason to take 2 Bullgryn Squads and a missionary, I may not bother bringing any elites.

I occasionally bring a Lord Commissar to fill up a HQ spot in games where you're limited on bringing duplicate datasheets.

If they had the original execution or a bigger bubble then they'd be an instant pick!

One for Nightshroud for Pask, One for the armour bonus for Pask, and One to Maelstrom snipe. That last one normally moves up near a hellhound to allow it to ignore cover (nothing kills Alaitoc rangers better).

It's probably not efficient but meh, it's been working so far.

The Astropath is consistently a work horse in all my lists! Recently I’ve been playing around with Crusaders too. Since they’re still an AM unit I can Psychic Barrier them to a 2++ and try to tank a round or two of shooting/CC...healing back 1 per turn with AoF.

My commissar serves solely as a vehicle to carry Pietrov’s .45 around a horde of conscripts....

My commissar serves solely as a vehicle to carry Pietrov’s .45 around a horde of conscripts....

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but commissars can't take Pietrov's 45. It's valhallan units only. You could take a platoon commander though, and maybe throw an order on those conscripts.

Recently, I'm liking the lord commissar with blade of conquest as a good moral boost. Stick with the main commander/astropath/fleet officer bunch to up their combat skill and improve the bubble wrap. However, I'm also liking the command squad with flag/medic since I learned that medics can bring back dead plasma troopers. I have been using tallarn ambush for 3x plasma infantry, along with officer/command squad using Tu'sakh. This is a way to buff ambush units, as commissars can't join them easily.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but commissars can't take Pietrov's 45. It's valhallan units only. You could take a platoon commander though, and maybe throw an order on those conscripts.

Recently, I'm liking the lord commissar with blade of conquest as a good moral boost. Stick with the main commander/astropath/fleet officer bunch to up their combat skill and improve the bubble wrap. However, I'm also liking the command squad with flag/medic since I learned that medics can bring back dead plasma troopers. I have been using tallarn ambush for 3x plasma infantry, along with officer/command squad using Tu'sakh. This is a way to buff ambush units, as commissars can't join them easily.

If you want an amusing twist take a Valhallen officer with the .45 and a Commissar with Master of Command to give them orders. Commissars don't have the OFFICER keyword so they can order the conscripts without a chance of it failing (it's not orders they have a chance of ignoring, it's orders from an OFFICER)and the OFFICER can fill the role of the pre-nerf commissar. It's backwards day, basically.

If you want an amusing twist take a Valhallen officer with the .45 and a Commissar with Master of Command to give them orders. Commissars don't have the OFFICER keyword so they can order the conscripts without a chance of it failing (it's not orders they have a chance of ignoring, it's orders from an OFFICER)and the OFFICER can fill the role of the pre-nerf commissar. It's backwards day, basically.

Did they clarify if Commissars can ever actually use Voice of Command since it requires you to order infantry from the same <regiment>?

Edit: Please avoid excessive quoting

Awesome, thanks! I’m starting to lose track of where rules are right now!

Me too. I just hope that the new chapter approved points lists include the changes from last year, or I am going to be annoyed at referencing two things. I would probably just write them out and stick them in my codex.

Me too. I just hope that the new chapter approved points lists include the changes from last year, or I am going to be annoyed at referencing two things. I would probably just write them out and stick them in my codex.

The AoS General's Handbook (which has been going for three years) always includes all the previous points updates. It even has asterisks to show which points updates are new and which are from previous years. I see no reason why Chapter Approved won't be the same.

I'm amazed people can fill their elite slots - a normal battalion has 6 and it's not uncommon to run double battalion from more than 1k (hell my 1k list includes double bat).

Maybe I'm a weirdo then, lol! I play Cadians and I always take Kell (to give one of my officers an additional order), 2 Command Squads (with Regimental Standards for Ld buffs), 2 units of 5 Ratlings and if I decide to take Conscripts, I'll take a Platoon Commander for each squad (1 or 2 squads). I usually field a brigade so if I go with 2 units of Conscripts I've already got 7 Elites slots filled, meaning only one slot left for Commissars.

Archived